JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Water melon : ) (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/32700-water-melon-%29.html)

inuyasha1989 07-09-2010 03:20 PM

Water melon : )

Hey guys I heard Japanese people eat Watermelon with salt is that true ???
and btw I tried it out it doesn't taste so I wanna hear you :)

tuonela 07-09-2010 03:32 PM

do they? I'm gonna try that out - cause we eat watermelon with white cheese - it's a little salty too, and tastes good =)

inuyasha1989 07-09-2010 04:45 PM

HEY WE R DOIN' THE SAME white cheese : D
WHER R you from ?____? :)

TalnSG 07-09-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inuyasha1989 (Post 819088)
Hey guys I heard Japanese people eat Watermelon with salt is that true ???
and btw I tried it out it doesn't taste so I wanna hear you :)

Doesn't sound all that "Japanese" to me since all my relatives in Texas, Louisianna and Mississippi all eat it with salt too.

otaku4life 07-11-2010 11:45 PM

Americans have been eating watermelon with salt for ages. By the way what is is the average cost of watermelon in Japan

edelweiss 07-12-2010 12:47 AM

I've been eating watermelon with salt all my life here in California. I don't think it's unique to Japan. Yum, yum, yum!

edit: I'm seeing that Nestle makes a Watermelon and Salt KitKat flavor for the Japanese market, anyone ever try them?

RickOShay 07-12-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otaku4life (Post 819472)
Americans have been eating watermelon with salt for ages. By the way what is is the average cost of watermelon in Japan

Depending on size/quality etc.. about 1000-2000 yen average I think. I don't really buy it here though.. so just working off vague memories of what I have noticed.

nevillemartin11 07-13-2010 05:51 AM

I think that I will try the water melon with the white cheese. I hope that It would be very delicious. I know that Water melon is still good for health. I know that The cost of the watermelon is depend on the fruit.

princeknight11 08-26-2010 01:38 PM

No Japanese not eat the Water melon in the salt . They do not like the salt to much . But the American eat the water melon with the salt since a long time .

siokan 08-28-2010 03:10 AM

Do not usually eat the salt putting it.
Eat putting up the salt to a watermelon not sweet.

nobora 08-28-2010 03:14 AM

Yea , I dont think thats limited to just Japan because alot of people do that in Mexico ( including me and my family but we also add chili a special kind almost like limesalt chili)

MMM 08-28-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princeknight11 (Post 826004)
No Japanese not eat the Water melon in the salt . They do not like the salt to much . But the American eat the water melon with the salt since a long time .

Each of these sentences is incorrect.

jimeshten 09-14-2010 11:18 PM

Japanese Food Water melon

Hello freinds ! you know about the what they eat . They like water melon and
I think that I will try the water melon with the white cheese. I hope that It would be very delicious. I know that Water melon is still good for health. I know that the cost of the watermelon is depend on the fruit and also depend on season.

Rakutenka 10-23-2010 10:43 PM

w...w....watermelon with....SALT??

Q_Q....*first time I hear something like this*

I like watermelon.
..But I'm used to eating it "sweet".
I don't add sugar, salt or anything else.
....I just cut a giant watermelon into pieces, and eat it...

...hearing that people eat it with salt...
makes me shiver XDDDDDDDD~ hehehe~

...interesting, ....though <3<3<3 !!!

greetz~
Raku,.

RealJames 11-04-2010 01:32 AM

Never heard of this in my time here (Japan).

Sounds really strange honestly... w

Saradus 11-04-2010 02:23 AM

Salt with watermelon sounds quite unusual to me, and this is coming from someone who likes having salt with all sorts of fruits:

Lemon, Raspberries, Grapefruit, Blackberries, Blueberries, Lime.

Maybe I'll try watermelon with salt sometime :)

And whats the deal with the white cheese thing? :S Sounds like a very odd mixture. Although that said I have had cottage cheese with raspberries (only so the raspberries would drown out the horrible flavour of the cottage cheese, but it is an accepted combination!) and you can make queso blanco from cottage cheese so I guess white cheese with fruit isn't completely insane.

petermark0 11-13-2010 12:08 PM

Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.), family Cucurbitaceae) can be both the fruit and the plant of a vine-like (scrambler and trailer) plant originally from southern Africa, and is one of the most common types of melon. This flowering plant produces a special type of fruit known by botanists as a pepo, a berry which has a thick rind (exocarp) and fleshy center (mesocarp and endocarp); pepos are derived from an inferior ovary, and are characteristic of the Cucurbitaceae

MissMisa 12-02-2010 01:20 PM

Ergh really watermelon and SALT? That sounds so awful man.

File0 12-02-2010 01:25 PM

We eat it with fresh white bread(which is salty), it's very good, I think it's from the war-times, because it's more filling this way and I learned it from my granny. :)

And we eat white cheese with apple, but I think I'm gonna try it with melon too.

SCIFFIX 12-04-2010 02:45 PM

The best fruit for the hot days!

kuroyukineko 06-10-2011 07:02 PM

Eating watermelon with salt is to enhance the sweetness of the watermelon.

Well it's not really "enhancing" but with the saltiness of the salt, it brings out the sweetness in the watermelon.

You can try eating plan watermelon, see how it taste like, and then sprinkle it with just a little bit of salt and try the difference! :)

It's the same concept when you try to make soup or savory stew, sometimes I add a little sugar to give it more depth.

evanny 07-01-2011 05:52 AM

sounds awful. something sweet with salt?
reminds me when a friend tricked me into eating spoonful of salt and sugar in 50/50 ratio. the most horrible thing you are going to taste.

RadioKid 07-02-2011 03:25 AM

A little bit of salt make some contrast with the sweetness.

I know some Japanese people eat watermelon with salt while I do not.

I can not imagine the taste of watermelon with white cheese.

samokan 07-13-2011 03:29 AM

I could never imagine salt and watermelon.

Nyororin 07-13-2011 06:06 AM

Recently, I encountered a new angle to this.

There was a paper offering recommendations for avoiding heat stroke, and one of them was that a bit of salt on water melon helped to keep you hydrated more than it would without the salt. The whole water, sugar, and sodium thing.

Not that I would actually eat it that way normally, but I suppose it wouldn`t hurt if you didn`t have access to a sports type drink but did have a watermelon and needed good hydration.

MoshixMoshi 07-13-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by File0 (Post 840189)
We eat it with fresh white bread(which is salty), it's very good, I think it's from the war-times, because it's more filling this way and I learned it from my granny. :)

And we eat white cheese with apple, but I think I'm gonna try it with melon too.

White bread with watermelon? O_o Whaaaat?

Why not leave the poor watermelon alone guys? Eat it plain as nature intended?