JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tosca (Offline)
New to JF

Baby Milk - 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Hi,

Does someone know what kinds of baby milk are available in Japan?
I want to visit Japan with my baby, and want him to get used to Japanese baby milk, for it probably differs in taste from Dutch baby-milk.

But also...Can someone tell me where to by baby-milk online?

Thank,
Tosca
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-22-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
Hi,

Does someone know what kinds of baby milk are available in Japan?
I want to visit Japan with my baby, and want him to get used to Japanese baby milk, for it probably differs in taste from Dutch baby-milk.

But also...Can someone tell me where to by baby-milk online?
I can`t help you with getting Japanese baby milk in your own country - but I can tell you the brands and their quality. They are all high in quality, and completely safe, but some brands are a bit more nutritious/easier to digest than others. It is more normal in Japan for a mother to breastfeed and only give her baby milk when she is unable to be there.
Also, the type of milk you want depends on the age of the baby. Japan has one type of milk for 0 to 9 months, and then another for 9 months to 3 years. My son will be 3 this year, and he still drinks the 2nd stage milk.

Ranked in order of quality - infant milks (0 to 9 months);
Icreo Balance Milk - Best for babies with stomach problems, or who refuse to drink milk other than breastmilk. This is what hospitals usually use. VERY high quality, but also very expensive. We used this for the first months with my son.
Price is about 3500 yen for a big can. (1kg)

The three main ones:

Morinaga Hagukumi - A bit higher in price than the other 2 regular quality ones, but I don`t think the quality differs much. Price of 2800/can

Meiji Hohoemi - Average price, good quality, normal milk. 2500/can

Beanstalk Sukoyaka - Average price, good quality, normal milk. 2500/can

And then at the very bottom there is:

Wakodo Haihai - while I`m sure it`s safe, it is lower in nutritional quality and has been known to irritate some baby`s stomachs... It is also very cheap. 1980/can

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the milk for older children - 9 months to 3 years.

Of course, Icreo Follow Momo is at the top in quality, just like with infant milk. But also top with price too. 2800/can

Meiji Step - Average in price, but the most nutritious of the big 3. We use this. It has so many more vitamins and calories than the other ones. But if your child eats a lot of normal foods, they probably don`t need the extras.
1980/can

Beanstalk Tsuyoiko - Average in price and quality. 1680/can

Morigana Chirumiru - Average price, quality, etc. 1680/can

And at the bottom, of course, Wakodo Gungun - safe, but cheap and low in nutrients. Better than just normal cow milk, of course, but not nearly as good as the others.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helped. There are also special milks for babies with allergies, etc. If you need info on them, please let me know.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tosca (Offline)
New to JF

03-22-2007, 09:48 AM

Woh, Thanks!

My baby-boy also had some stomach problems, so the first milk you refer to is probably something to try. Now I start my quest to find a online shop for these milks. At least I have some names now.

Thanks again.
Tosca
(#4 (permalink))
Old
peimun (Offline)
New to JF

04-09-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I can`t help you with getting Japanese baby milk in your own country - but I can tell you the brands and their quality. They are all high in quality, and completely safe, but some brands are a bit more nutritious/easier to digest than others. It is more normal in Japan for a mother to breastfeed and only give her baby milk when she is unable to be there.
Also, the type of milk you want depends on the age of the baby. Japan has one type of milk for 0 to 9 months, and then another for 9 months to 3 years. My son will be 3 this year, and he still drinks the 2nd stage milk.

Ranked in order of quality - infant milks (0 to 9 months);
Icreo Balance Milk - Best for babies with stomach problems, or who refuse to drink milk other than breastmilk. This is what hospitals usually use. VERY high quality, but also very expensive. We used this for the first months with my son.
Price is about 3500 yen for a big can. (1kg)

The three main ones:

Morinaga Hagukumi - A bit higher in price than the other 2 regular quality ones, but I don`t think the quality differs much. Price of 2800/can

Meiji Hohoemi - Average price, good quality, normal milk. 2500/can

Beanstalk Sukoyaka - Average price, good quality, normal milk. 2500/can

And then at the very bottom there is:

Wakodo Haihai - while I`m sure it`s safe, it is lower in nutritional quality and has been known to irritate some baby`s stomachs... It is also very cheap. 1980/can

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the milk for older children - 9 months to 3 years.

Of course, Icreo Follow Momo is at the top in quality, just like with infant milk. But also top with price too. 2800/can

Meiji Step - Average in price, but the most nutritious of the big 3. We use this. It has so many more vitamins and calories than the other ones. But if your child eats a lot of normal foods, they probably don`t need the extras.
1980/can

Beanstalk Tsuyoiko - Average in price and quality. 1680/can

Morigana Chirumiru - Average price, quality, etc. 1680/can

And at the bottom, of course, Wakodo Gungun - safe, but cheap and low in nutrients. Better than just normal cow milk, of course, but not nearly as good as the others.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helped. There are also special milks for babies with allergies, etc. If you need info on them, please let me know.
hi Nyororin,
I'm new here and from Malaysia. Currently I'm visiting Osaka and found that my girl's milk powder is run out of stock. She just turned 1 this week and the milk powder she is having now is Enfalac HA from Mead Johnson. May I know where can I get the imported baby milk from Osaka and Tokyo, because we will be heading to Tokyo tomorrow morning. I have search from a few drugs store and too bad to know that they didn't sell any baby milk powder.

Really need your help and appreciate it. thank you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-10-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peimun View Post
hi Nyororin,
I'm new here and from Malaysia. Currently I'm visiting Osaka and found that my girl's milk powder is run out of stock. She just turned 1 this week and the milk powder she is having now is Enfalac HA from Mead Johnson. May I know where can I get the imported baby milk from Osaka and Tokyo, because we will be heading to Tokyo tomorrow morning. I have search from a few drugs store and too bad to know that they didn't sell any baby milk powder.

Really need your help and appreciate it. thank you.
I haven`t the slightest idea where to get imported milk at all, let alone in Tokyo or Osaka. Japanese milk is of high quality and nutrition - why not just see if she`ll take the normal Japanese follow-milk? Try buying a couple of the small cans, or even the single serving sticks that come in boxes and see if she likes any of it.

I don`t know of any drugstores that *don`t* carry powdered milk, so it`s shouldn`t be hard to find Japanese types. But imported... Good luck.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.