JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
ありがとうございます - 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll make sure to look around when I get there, and see what I can find. It's nice to know I don't have to worry too much about finding a meal for 1,000円. I'll try to cook, steve, but I don't know... I might have to prepare a lot before hand and find some easy recipes. Perhaps it'll be a lot of おにぎり for a while, lol.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2010, 11:44 PM

If you're gonna be moving around a lot, it might be hard to have ingredients and stuff like that... I can't imagine lugging around pots & pans or spices & ingredients and junk.

Another option is to buy store-made food. A lot of stores make a lot of semi-decent food. It won't taste as good as a restaurant (sometimes it can though), but you can get some things for cheap. Stores near me have stuff like 5 croquetes (i don't really know how to spell that) for 100 yen. You can get rolls of sushi for like 200 yen that will fill you up (but are monotonous).

I just realized that there is something you might not know about Japan-- if you go to the stores at certain times (usually late... like after 7 or so) you can get really good deals on stuff. I've gotten like party platters of sushi/sashimi for 700 yen because they were half off.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-27-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I just realized that there is something you might not know about Japan-- if you go to the stores at certain times (usually late... like after 7 or so) you can get really good deals on stuff. I've gotten like party platters of sushi/sashimi for 700 yen because they were half off.
Really? That's cool! Thanks for letting me know, and on holidays too, right? Because I'm going from New Year's to May, so I'm also interested on big shopping deal days where I can get good prices.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
Really? That's cool! Thanks for letting me know, and on holidays too, right? Because I'm going from New Year's to May, so I'm also interested on big shopping deal days where I can get good prices.
How are you able to go for more than 90 days?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-28-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
How are you able to go for more than 90 days?
Study Abroad, I'm taking Japanese classes in Hikone, Shiga Prefecture. I will be traveling before and after my study.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-28-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Study Abroad, I'm taking Japanese classes in Hikone, Shiga Prefecture. I will be traveling before and after my study.
Aha! Very nice work...
(#27 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 02:54 AM

There are plenty of cheap mom n pop restaurants all over Japan that serve things like ramen, kara'age, tonkatsu, donburi, okonomiyaki, curry, yakiyori, yakisoba, etc.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-29-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
There are plenty of cheap mom n pop restaurants all over Japan that serve things like ramen, kara'age, tonkatsu, donburi, okonomiyaki, curry, yakiyori, yakisoba, etc.
Ah, thanks! You taught in Japan for Jet? How was it? I was thinking of applying to that program...
(#29 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks! You taught in Japan for Jet? How was it? I was thinking of applying to that program...
I really loved it overall. It wasn't all fun and games, life and work never is, but the chance to live in Japan for 2 years and save up a nice bit of money doing it was the experience of a lifetime. Here I am, 12 years after coming back to the US, still interested in Japan and taking part on forums, recruiting for JET at my university, etc.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-30-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
I really loved it overall. It wasn't all fun and games, life and work never is, but the chance to live in Japan for 2 years and save up a nice bit of money doing it was the experience of a lifetime. Here I am, 12 years after coming back to the US, still interested in Japan and taking part on forums, recruiting for JET at my university, etc.
Were you nervous about teaching in front of...whatever age of people you were teaching (kids? adults?)? I'm worried I'll be too nervous and confused most of the time! >_< I don't know if I'm cut out to be a teacher, so I was thinking of teaching in Japan to jump in and sink or swim.