JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
EpicPhysicist (Offline)
Pimp

Japanese Curry NOW!!!! - 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey guys,
Ive been an indian curry fanatic since the age of 12. I am now 12 years old.
I was just wondering what are the differences between indian and japanese curry and is japanese curry spicy i love spicy NEED SPIcY NOW!!!

SO SO SO SO SO. Should i go buy Japanese curry "????
Hyperactive panic attack!?!?!

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left. and also i cant Triforce
.▲
▲▲
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM

try it..
since it taste different beyond expectation..
you might say that it doesn't taste curry at all..
but maybe that just an exaggeration..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPhysicist View Post
Hey guys,
Ive been an indian curry fanatic since the age of 12. I am now 12 years old.
I was just wondering what are the differences between indian and japanese curry and is japanese curry spicy i love spicy NEED SPIcY NOW!!!

SO SO SO SO SO. Should i go buy Japanese curry "????
Hyperactive panic attack!?!?!
Vast differences. There's a lot of different types of curry that make up "Indian Curry" but there's really only one sort of Japanese curry. Also huge differences in cooking method and so on. Japanese curry also often isn't all that spicy.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Vast differences. There's a lot of different types of curry that make up "Indian Curry" but there's really only one sort of Japanese curry. Also huge differences in cooking method and so on. Japanese curry also often isn't all that spicy.
This is true, but even so you will still find various subtle differences in flavor and a several levels of spiciness to choose from with Japanese curry.

Japanese curry was the first curry I ever had and I liked from day one, i actually mistook it for beef stew but was pleasantly surprised when it was not.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
This is true, but even so you will still find various subtle differences in flavor and a several levels of spiciness to choose from with Japanese curry.

Japanese curry was the first curry I ever had and I liked from day one, i actually mistook it for beef stew but was pleasantly surprised when it was not.
Oh of course, but I guess to me, having grown up eating indian curry, Japanese curry is all of one type. I quite like it, but I do find it kind of heavy.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM

I was watching this programme on TV about Japanese cuisines and I was quite surprised that Japanese curry is its national food, or at least, one of it. They interviewed some of the locals and they said they have it at least twice to thrice a week. They're rated to be the second highest consumers of curry, next to India! Japanese curry is my favorite curry but the most I do is once a fortnight?

I also saw the solid instant square-cubed Japanese curry, which dissolves into any good ol' Japanese curry in hot water. I forget what those are called. Are they only available in Japan?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Crowlette (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Crowlette
11-17-2010, 06:36 PM

You guys are making me hungry. ♥

Sadly, I've never even tasted Japanese Curry before... So I don't know why this tongue's hanging out...

Found in an Asian superstore near me?!

あそぼう! 
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post

I also saw the solid instant square-cubed Japanese curry, which dissolves into any good ol' Japanese curry in hot water. I forget what those are called. Are they only available in Japan?
Curry blocks? No idea what the Japanese for them is actually, but I can get them in the UK pretty easily. Have a look online for suppliers in your area- i'm sure you'd find something. The brand I like is Golden Curry. TBH making japanese curry from scratch is such a faff i almost never bother. Tasty convenient little curry blocks, that's the way~
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

11-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Japanese curry is really different from Indian curry, for one apple juice is commonly used to make up the flavour, it's not spicy at all.

It's always nice to try different foods you haven't tried yet, so I'd definitely say, yeah go try it. You can get ready to boil bags or curry roux blocks. S&B is a very popular brand. =)

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#10 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
11-18-2010, 02:50 AM

Golden Curry and S&B... Got it, thanks guys!

On a sidenote, Yinnie, I didn't know apple juice was part of the curry ingredients o.o that's a total shocker

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.