LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
Kimchi nabe (aka Kimchi jigae) how to guide... - 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM

Kimchi Nabe (キムチ鍋)

Here we have our starting ingredients...

Top: Kimchi nabe (soup), Rice
Middle: bean sprouts, pot, harusame (noodles)
Bottom: enoki (mushrooms), kimchi
Not pictured: meat (pork)

Now to get started....
First we need to start our rice, since it takes about the same time cooking. This will be served on the side. Rince/wash multiple times before cooking. Also take your enoki (mushrooms) and wash them aswell, cut off the bottom part where it's dirty...but leave some so they still clump together.

First we take some kimchi and throw it in our pot, which is already hot. Cooking it maybe 20-30 seconds. Now take the pork and cook it with the kimchi for 1-2mins over high, just to brown it a bit.

After browning the meat, pour in the kimchi nabe soup mix. Keeping the temperature on med high/high, we add our mushrooms aswell. Then bring the soup to a boil. Throw in some more kimchi to taste.

Last, put in some bean sprouts andharusame noodles, they both cook fast and should be put in last. I love harusame soooooo much and recomend Mabo harusame aswell!

Drop the temp. down to medium to let it cook/simmer whatever for about ~5minutes.

The Unveiling:

Last step: Enjoy! I love nabe alot! It can be quite fun if you have a small individual gas burner and you can add things to the nabe as it cooks with your friends. There's no real set items which can be added. I like to add rice in it afterwards too, just a little bit in my own personal bowl. Tofu also is a good ingredient!