LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
I'm not in Japan, but I do try to cook Japanese style food regularly. I'm just curious what the standard cheap meals are overseas. Soy sauce is too salty for plain rice, IMO, but I haven't tried it with egg. Raw eggs have a small possibility of salmonella but are more nutritious than when cooked. I used to eat plenty of raw eggs and use them in shakes a few years ago when I was really into fitness.

But, why is there such a negative view of putting soy sauce on white rice?
I'm not sure. In fact, I think the Chinese put soy sauce directly on their white rice...

To Japanese, soy sauce is a condiment and pouring it on the rice might considered as weird as a 'mustard sandwich' ( which a friend growing up poor & black in the US reported eating occasionally when he grew up). Or, like taking a huge dollop of ketchup or sugar and stirring it into a glass of water -- which I once saw a homeless fellow do in restaurant. Associations of being low class and inappropriate.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
you'll get salmonella
The standard of the hygiene management is different.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#23 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-30-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
The standard of the hygiene management is different.
That is the understatement of the year.

I can't even find a bruised apple in a grocery store if I try!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2011, 01:42 AM

The probability of encountering eggs contaminated inside with salmonella is actually very very low. In the US, according to one industry association (which I admit might be biased), 1 in 20,000 or 0.005%. If we assume that Japan is even safer, then obviously an even lower probability.

However, the outside shell of the egg can be contaminated with all sorts of shit and other crap harboring bacteria other than salmonella. The ones that you see in the supermarket have been cleaned - unless you were naive enough to believe that they came out of the hen all white and pristine.

For using serving raw eggs where the diners break their own eggs (eg. let's say for sukiyaki), I was taught to disinfect the shells in a warm bath of vinegar and salt -- and then rinsed and dried - before presentation. Here is a quick explanation: How to Easily Clean and Disinfect Fresh Eggs | eHow.com
(#25 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-30-2011, 01:47 AM

1 in 20,000 or 0.005% with a population of 310 million is still 15500 people at their first egg ...
if those were the chances if getting hit by a car each time I cross the street, I wouldn't cross lol

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
AlfieA (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I'm not sure. In fact, I think the Chinese put soy sauce directly on their white rice...

To Japanese, soy sauce is a condiment and pouring it on the rice might considered as weird as a 'mustard sandwich' ( which a friend growing up poor & black in the US reported eating occasionally when he grew up). Or, like taking a huge dollop of ketchup or sugar and stirring it into a glass of water -- which I once saw a homeless fellow do in restaurant. Associations of being low class and inappropriate.
Yes, soya sauce rice is quite common in Chinese food and people put it in directly, particulary if they just have plain rice with no meat or minimal side dishes (i.e. going cheap - ugh reminds me of a dish I had in Singapore). Just wondering though, most of the the Katsu dons I've seen, had soya sauce in the rice...although that's the Japanese resturants here in Australia. I've had it a few times in Japan as well - but can't remember whether there was soya sauce there.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2011, 04:59 AM

It's so gross! If I was poor enough to own no food other than white rice and soy sauce, I still wouldn't mix them.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2011, 06:02 AM

I haven't yet tried it with soy sauce, just raw egg. It makes a good breakfast.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
junicorn (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2011, 08:14 AM

HI!

If you have a grocery store nearby, before closing time they have premade meals for half off... You can get a full plate with rice, meat, and pickled radish for only 200yen. It is delicious and oh so cheap.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
AlfieA (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
It's so gross! If I was poor enough to own no food other than white rice and soy sauce, I still wouldn't mix them.
I also think that the soya sauce that the Chinese use is a bit different. Janpanese soya sauce is typically very strong salty/bitter. The soya sauce that the Chinese put in rice is typically milder and usually has sugar mixed in, so it's also a bit sweet as well. Doesn't taste bad at all with rice!