JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Is Japanese home cooked food better than Japanese restaurant food?
Restaurant food is rarely better than home cooked food.. 1 7.69%
Home cooked food wins most of the time! 5 38.46%
kinda 50:50, tasted the same to me 5 38.46%
Restaurant food wins most of the time! 0 0%
Home cooked food is rarely better than restaurant food. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

Japanese food, home cooked or restaurant - 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Which do/did you prefer?

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Obviously it depends on the restaurant or the (home) cook.

I find that home cooking is better because you can really control the flavor. Sometimes restaurant food can be too "くどい". Sometimes you can get better quality ingredients at the store... and sometimes they just don't have as good quality stuff that day (or at the time you went).
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Obviously it depends on the restaurant or the (home) cook.

I find that home cooking is better because you can really control the flavor. Sometimes restaurant food can be too "くどい". Sometimes you can get better quality ingredients at the store... and sometimes they just don't have as good quality stuff that day (or at the time you went).
Hmm yeah, I used to agree with you.

These days my work has been super busy so I haven't had time for home cooked meals and I've been going out to eat a lot, trying many new restaurants.

I've somehow managed to find some amazing restaurants which serve healthy balanced meals that are so delicious, and not all that expensive, about 800yen. (staying away from franchises and the like)

These days I look forward to going there and home cooked meals only match the taste if they are less healthy =/
That's just my experience though.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Ya I'm particularly not very enthusiastic about chains. I agree about the healthy thing though-- I've gone to quite a few cafes that I just stumbled upon or heard of through word of mouth that were great and very healthy.

By the way-- my wife and I are kind of weird like this, but sometimes if we have something that we particularly like we ask the cook how they made it. You'd be surprised at how many people are willing to share with you! Obviously you get the laughing 'no way' sometimes, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Ya I'm particularly not very enthusiastic about chains. I agree about the healthy thing though-- I've gone to quite a few cafes that I just stumbled upon or heard of through word of mouth that were great and very healthy.

By the way-- my wife and I are kind of weird like this, but sometimes if we have something that we particularly like we ask the cook how they made it. You'd be surprised at how many people are willing to share with you! Obviously you get the laughing 'no way' sometimes, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
If my schedule ever frees up and I have more time for home-meals again then that sounds like a great idea!

I kind of hope that never happens and I keep being forced to go out to eat lol, it's become quite the nice bad habit!

I'll try asking though, maybe if I promise to keep coming and not tell anyone else they'll share more

(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Since I can rarely get natto in the Japaense restaurants around here, mine tends to be 50/50. Home for natto, pigging out on umeboshi and my own combinations that seem a bit weird to restauranteurs. But since I know some excellent chefs, the sushi and sashimi and a few other things are better from them.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-27-2011, 08:32 PM

It all depends on your budget. If we're comparing cheap foods, it's either the same, or home cooked meals can be better.
If we're talking fine dining, the best meals you'll ever enjoy will be served to you. Those 50-100 dollar per person meals are that price for a reason.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I used to always bug this one local Mexican restaurant on how they made their salsa; they would never tell me haha

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
It all depends on your budget. If we're comparing cheap foods, it's either the same, or home cooked meals can be better.
If we're talking fine dining, the best meals you'll ever enjoy will be served to you. Those 50-100 dollar per person meals are that price for a reason.
you're right I should have stipulated price in there!
although I suppose you can compare the 100$ meals to the ... like... super I'm sorry please forgive me for that bad thing I did here look I made dinner for you... kind of meals... lol

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2011, 10:18 AM

What can I say?

No internet links for me!

The broths?

Give me the secret!