JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)
I is the Ebil Fuzzy BunnY

Send a message via AIM to Kayame
American V.S. Japanese - 04-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Is the "Japanese" rastuarants in America and thing lik ethe real Japanese food in Japan? I mean, that say that it's 'Real" Japanese food here, but I'm not so sure. Any one care to asnwer please?

_Kayame_

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Japanese food in Japan is better, it's their food.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Thorwyn (Offline)
New to JF

food - 04-17-2007, 11:08 PM

I have not been to Japan yet however the few restuarants I have been to in the states have been run by native Japanese who came to America and the Sushi chefs were trained in Japan. Since I have about two years before I am able to go to Japan I can't be of much help but thought I would just add that.

Fall down seven stand up eight.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

04-17-2007, 11:49 PM

I haven't tried Japanese food in America but I would guess it's better in Japan (where I obviously have tried it). Salaries are higher here so there is no reason for the best chefs to travel to America to prepare food.

Unlike indian food of course where all the best restaurants are in London as the chefs can get much higher salaries than in india so the best ones move to London.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-18-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
I haven't tried Japanese food in America but I would guess it's better in Japan (where I obviously have tried it). Salaries are higher here so there is no reason for the best chefs to travel to America to prepare food.

Unlike indian food of course where all the best restaurants are in London as the chefs can get much higher salaries than in india so the best ones move to London.
There was a report saying that the UK has better Chinese food than China, made me laugh.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

04-18-2007, 01:50 AM

i think that wherever dat food originated frm tastes better cuz its made originally for u^^

YOUR RIGHT NOTHING DOES LAST FOREVER, WE OBVIOUSLY PROVE THAT RIGHT

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/memb...-drawings.html
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
04-18-2007, 02:39 AM

I've been to a Japanese restaurant that was owned by Koreans....I wouyld think they're better over there...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-18-2007, 03:03 AM

Most Japanese restaurants outside of Japan are run by Koreans, not Japanese. And most of the food is not "real" Japanese food. If you ask, they will say they are Japanese, but if you talk to them they can`t speak Japanese and will then admit they are Korean.

Japan considers this a problem, so decided to do a verification system - they were going to give little signs to the shops with verified Japanese food, so that you could look and see. If the shop had a sign, it was verified by Japan to be real Japanese food - if it didn`t, it would probably be "Japanese style" food arranged for that country or something like that. They weren`t planning on shutting down the not verified ones, just not giving them a sign, you know?

But Korea got SO mad and tried to make it into a huge international problem - because I guess Koreans make so much money from fake Japanese food places - that Japan just recently gave up. Korea was threatening to basically sue Japan for selling Kimchi without permission from Korea (even though all Japan was talking about doing was giving signs to real places, not doing anything at all to the fake places) and they started trying to make it into a reason for a war or something.

It is so stupid.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

04-18-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Most Japanese restaurants outside of Japan are run by Koreans, not Japanese. And most of the food is not "real" Japanese food. If you ask, they will say they are Japanese, but if you talk to them they can`t speak Japanese and will then admit they are Korean.

Japan considers this a problem, so decided to do a verification system - they were going to give little signs to the shops with verified Japanese food, so that you could look and see. If the shop had a sign, it was verified by Japan to be real Japanese food - if it didn`t, it would probably be "Japanese style" food arranged for that country or something like that. They weren`t planning on shutting down the not verified ones, just not giving them a sign, you know?

But Korea got SO mad and tried to make it into a huge international problem - because I guess Koreans make so much money from fake Japanese food places - that Japan just recently gave up. Korea was threatening to basically sue Japan for selling Kimchi without permission from Korea (even though all Japan was talking about doing was giving signs to real places, not doing anything at all to the fake places) and they started trying to make it into a reason for a war or something.

It is so stupid.
wow that is dumb.

Yeah Ive seen lots of these Japanese Restaurants run buy Koreans, it sucks. My friends where with me and said I should speak Japanese to them but I knew that they weren't Japanese.

Ive only been to one real Japanese restaurants in America but its gone now

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jdmgc8 (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2007, 03:57 AM

American food and Japanese food are of course very different in most parts, but some are very similar, basically taking american food and putting a japanese "flare" to it. In the detroit area, were i am from,we have many japanese restaurants some owned by chinese, korean, or japanese. Cherry blossom and agishin are probably the two best japanese owned and run restaurants outside of japan. There ramen and sushi are top notch, and service is fabulous. My favorite japanese food would have to be unagidon, were they take either river eel or ocean eel, and lay it over a bed of rice, of course the eel are cooked. River eel i think is smaller and not so "meaty" compared to the ocean eel. Also japanese pancake comes into second place for me, and then sushi. But honestly i find some japanese food to be very bland. Me being pakistani, much of our ethnic food has alot of spices, example curry, crushed red pepper and other various spices. Pakistani and indian are practically the same. Also korean food is the bomb, so much flavor and chinese food is very unique, i am mean chinese culture has been on this planet for about 5 thousand years now, so they have alot of experience in the art of cooking. I guess it really comes down to what you willing to try and what your stomach can take, there are some asian food out there that will make you crap your brains out. Sorry if my spelling and grammar sucks, freaking had a long day at work and eyes are blood shot. peace