JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Bartending in Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/38405-bartending-japan.html)

JustinRossTso 07-18-2011 07:05 PM

Bartending in Japan?

Hey guys, I've been just bartending on the side here for university, just wondering what are the tastes of the Japanese? Would they drink the same type of drinks? (There probably are variations too) Also is bartending considered a decent job in Japan? haha.

MMM 07-18-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinRossTso (Post 872340)
Hey guys, I've been just bartending on the side here for university, just wondering what are the tastes of the Japanese? Would they drink the same type of drinks? (There probably are variations too) Also is bartending considered a decent job in Japan? haha.

I did bartending in Japan for a couple years. In my experience, the tastes of most Japanese are pretty simple and straightforward.

Rarely was I asked to make a drink with more than two ingredients.

I do enjoy going to "shot bars" in Japan, which is pretty close to what we consider a liquor bar in the US. They tend to be small and have a single bartender who really knows his drinks. Often I see female customers take recommendations from the bartender rather than having a personal drink of choice.

I don't ever remember seeing anyone drink a Long Island Iced Tea or a Mai Tai or other blended or complicated drinks.

JustinRossTso 07-18-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 872346)
I did bartending in Japan for a couple years. In my experience, the tastes of most Japanese are pretty simple and straightforward.

Rarely was I asked to make a drink with more than two ingredients.

I do enjoy going to "shot bars" in Japan, which is pretty close to what we consider a liquor bar in the US. They tend to be small and have a single bartender who really knows his drinks. Often I see female customers take recommendations from the bartender rather than having a personal drink of choice.

I don't ever remember seeing anyone drink a Long Island Iced Tea or a Mai Tai or other blended or complicated drinks.

Wow! We have a lot in common MMM :D I have a lot more respect for you now! :)!

You first answered my question about bands and stuff saying you were a drummer in Japan and now I found out you were a bartender too???

Man you go places! I bet you know how to have a good time!

Anyways! Thanks for the reply. Oh I see! I guess I shouldn't expect to make some complicated drinks for the most part but I guess it wouldn't hurt to know them. I guess I'd focus on speed! It sounds pretty chill, and I guess it'd be fun too while working.

Sounds pretty cool! Wonder if anything has changed or if the area where I work will affect it.

Thanks again! ONE of the coolest Mods :)!