JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2011, 10:27 PM

You're lucky to have any Japanese places! I've gotta go all the way to Exeter! I've never been to the Wagomama,I should do one day.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-08-2011, 01:50 AM

In Australia a lot of so called 'Japanese' restaurants are actually owned and run by Chinese. It can actually be hard to find Japanese restaurants owned and run by Japanese people at times!! A lot of restaurants that were previously Chinese have changed to Japanese menus because Japanese is seen as more of a premium cuisine here and is generally higher priced.

In our little town though, Inverloch, we do have a Japanese restaurant that is run by Japanese and the chef is from Hokkaido not far from where we lived. It's good for us to still speak some Japanese now and again and they also have little children who our daughter can play with.

Their website

Tomo Modern Japanese
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Distortedshell (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Distortedshell
08-08-2011, 04:10 PM

In New York City, there are a lot of Japanese Sushi bars everywhere so I am not going to get into those. If you want to get any Japanese Food dishes instead of Sushi go to St. Marks Place in between 2nd and 3rd Avenue in The East Village. There are a lot of Japanese restaurant and businesses on that street and area. My favorite restaurant on that street is Kenka, which is very much like a Japanese style bar/restaurant. The menu is filled with all kinds of Japanese dishes including sushi and a large variety of Imported Japanese alcohol to choose from. It's usually packed and there's always people standing outside waiting to be seated, and you can get Cotton Candy on your way out. There are a few other Japanese restaurants out of that area, but they can be quite pricey. Still worth checking out wherever you want to eat in NYC!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Do they have British restaurants in Japan? Might there occasionally be a chip shop somewhere? I know they have an Italian and an Indian in Ikebukuro.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

08-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Unfortunately there are no Japanese resturaunts in my home town but a short train ride takes me to Leeds which has 3 Japanese resturaunts. There's a Wagamama, YoYo Sushi and Little Tokyo. I can't comment on the first two but I frequent Little Tokyo and their food tastes amazing. The only downside is that the resturants are so much more expensive than other resturaunts. An average meal out for my girlfriend and I costs about £35, a meal at Little Tokyo costs an average of £50! You get what you pay for though, I suppose.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by SHAD0W : 08-09-2011 at 10:46 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

08-09-2011, 09:06 AM

I live in the Metro area, and Kyubei in Ginza is regarded as the best sushi restaurant. The former sumo wrestler Takanohana owns a chain of restaurants called "Chanko Dining" which specialize in chanko nabe. The food is great, but you have to have a healthy apetite (or big stomach) to eat all of it. One of these restaurants is also in Ginza, near Higashi Ginza station.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Most sushi places and restaurants are owned by Koreans and Chinese, and the taste is a bit off...

However, we have an authentic run Japanese restaurant called Kijima, but since its so old-school (no fusion sushi either...) people are starting to dislike it. They want hip and modern and mixed.

I still love it though. The sukiyaki...yummy.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
asqkcom (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2011, 09:33 AM

great thread.
I'm gonna have to try a few resturant on here.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
halfnihonjin (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2011, 06:56 AM

I live in the Texas panhandle so there is only one decent Japanese restaurant in the town I live in. It is called Hayashi and it has pretty good sushi. Haven't tried anything else so I can't really say about the other dishes. Bit pricey too.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2011, 11:04 AM

I went to one in London,can't remember what it's called,but it's not very good. Nobody's Japanese there!