JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Smileydude (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Smileydude
chopsticks - 02-12-2007, 02:07 AM

in japanese restaurants I have caused a scene too many time trying to cut my food with chopstick. I have tried squeezing the food very tightly with the sticks, but then they usually slip and end up flinging the food somewhere other than my mouth. SOmetimes I will stab madly at it using one chopstick in each hand.

neither of these methods usually work to well, so i usually end up cutting the food with my teeth, which is not very mannerly.

With that said, could someone tell me how to cut with chopsticks, or is it not rude in japanese culture to cut with your mouth?

Hi everybody! All I want is for someone to say back, and to gain a larger Japanese Vocab!!!!

Gain some vocab and help me here
(read rules on page 1 of thread before posting)

Do you know good Japanese? Do you need other language help? Come Here!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
02-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Try holding both chopsticks between both ur thumb and index finger, and ur middle finger, letting the the lower part rest on ur middle one. I usually use my index finger and middle finger to move one of the chopsticks to enable me to clench the food with ease. The thum just holds them stably in place. The other chopsticks stay motionless so whether im allowed to put food in my mouth or not via chopsticks wholly depends on my index and middle finger :P
hope that helped xD

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
02-12-2007, 02:47 AM

Isn't that just gripping stuff?
I cut using my teeth when using chopsticks.

"Mossad knows what my Aunt Judy eats for breakfast."
Jack West Jr.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
EbonyVampiria (Offline)
JF Regular

02-12-2007, 02:59 AM

the best thing you can do is practice at home, and it is not the best thing to stab food etc with chopsticks due to etiquette. So if possible avoid at all costs, also try being a little bit more gentle and relax that should help grip the food rather than it go flying across the room - or just put bowl to mouth and scoop it in :-)
Good luck!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Smileydude (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2007, 06:21 PM

so amy I ask without sounding rude, what are japanese table manners then?

Hi everybody! All I want is for someone to say back, and to gain a larger Japanese Vocab!!!!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)
I is the Ebil Fuzzy BunnY

Send a message via AIM to Kayame
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileydude View Post
so amy I ask without sounding rude, what are japanese table manners then?
YOu never stab your food with your chopsticks for one -.-'
You also never stick your chocksticks striaght up in your rice bowl. You lay it across the bowl.
When you slurp, that is a sign that you enjoy the food so that is allowed.
Never reach for foon, or any thing else.
If your eating with all the food in the middle, and people just pick what they won't and set it on their plates, you don't use the chopsticks that you eat with.
Never, ever, ever, ever stab you food so you can eat it becuase you can't use the chocksticks right.
As for cutting the food. Usually they have the meat and everything into bit size pieces, but if not, I guess you can just cut with your teach.
Oh, and when eating sushi, it is ment to be eaten in one but, so don't take small bite at it, you eat it whole.

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

02-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Also don't pass food from hashi (chopstick) to hashi. This is very bad, this is only done at Japanese Funerals where people pass the deceased bones around.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Smileydude (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2007, 03:11 AM

wait, so when someone dies they are dissected and their bones are passed around? please say I misunderstood you.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

02-14-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileydude View Post
wait, so when someone dies they are dissected and their bones are passed around? please say I misunderstood you.
Most Japanese People are Buddhist and Shinto, In the Buddhist Religion the dead are cremated. In fact 99% of all deceased Japanese are cremated. As you may or may not know after a cremation there are bones left over. Afterwards relatives of the deceased pick the bones out of the ashes and put them in an urn using Hashi (chop sticks), they then pass the bones from Hashi to Hashi. This is the only time in Japan when it is ok for two people to hold the same item at the same time with Hashi. If you think about it it is not as bad as you think. This is way you don't pass food at the dinner from Hashi to Hashi, there is symbolism of death if you do, and In Japan thats a big no no.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NekoNekoChan (Offline)
ナイトメア!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to NekoNekoChan
02-16-2007, 12:49 AM

Why would you want to cut food with your chopsticks? Oh, and again, don't stab food, ever. Especially a bowl of rice. Don't even do it at your homecountry(chances are the cooks and workers will be japanese, and could very well be offended, disgusted by you)
And as kuroneko mentioned, dont pass from chopstick to chopstick.

As for table manners, theres this, and then there is:
Slurp, and try to slurp/eat in harmony with the others with you.
When eating sushi, do not put a ton of stuff on it. It is disrespectful to the chef.
Do not put stuff in your white rice. Disrespectful.
Also, thank the appropriate people before and after the meal.
Chopsticks go a certain way on the table but I don't remember which way. Also, if your in japan, and your in a place that does not have western sitting, sit according to your gender. Meaning, dont sit like a girl if your a guy, and don't sit in a casual way. I can't really explain the ways of sitting through text, so you'll have to get that info elsewhere.

Life brings death.
Death brings eyes.
Each time we blink
we open our eyes again,
yet, when we blink our last
people will close their eyes and tear.

However, the death will cause people to eventually open their eyes once again.
Become stronger, strive to live as long as they can.
Life brings death.
Death Brings life.

Made by me in 30 seconds(or around there)