JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Distortedshell (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Distortedshell
I Just Made Kara^age, for the first time! - 08-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Last week for about an hour I had nothing better to do and while sitting by my computer watching Youtube vids I stumbled onto this video:

How to make Japanese Fried Chicken ''Kara-age'' - YouTube

I admit after watching this I thought the guy on the video was just funny, but somehow his videos left an impression on me. 2 days later I looked up his videos again and I told myself I was going to make Kara^age and today I did. I bought the ingredients at the store and followed exactly what this guy did. I did not have white wine or Sake for this so I just used red wine. It worked out really well.

It was really delicious!!! I never ate this much. I made about 4 sandwiches with mayo, lettuce and tomato and I still had 4 small pieces of chicken left which I am saving for later, because I can't eat any more of it right now. I strongly encourage everyone to make this!! Really! If you like fried chicken or just chicken give this a go. It will blow your mind. or at least it blew mine.

An additional note: I never had Japanese style fried chicken Kara^age before. not even at a restaurant so i have nothing to compare this to, but it was unlike any chicken I have ever had...........YEAH! One day I will order this at a restaurant and see the difference, but please TRY THIS!! If not look up other videos by other people on youtube and follow their Kara^age recipe. This is GREAT F^ING CHICKEN! Sorry for cursing. It was really that good!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedshell View Post
Last week for about an hour I had nothing better to do and while sitting by my computer watching Youtube vids I stumbled onto this video:

How to make Japanese Fried Chicken ''Kara-age'' - YouTube

I admit after watching this I thought the guy on the video was just funny, but somehow his videos left an impression on me. 2 days later I looked up his videos again and I told myself I was going to make Kara^age and today I did. I bought the ingredients at the store and followed exactly what this guy did. I did not have white wine or Sake for this so I just used red wine. It worked out really well.

It was really delicious!!! I never ate this much. I made about 4 sandwiches with mayo, lettuce and tomato and I still had 4 small pieces of chicken left which I am saving for later, because I can't eat any more of it right now. I strongly encourage everyone to make this!! Really! If you like fried chicken or just chicken give this a go. It will blow your mind. or at least it blew mine.

An additional note: I never had Japanese style fried chicken Kara^age before. not even at a restaurant so i have nothing to compare this to, but it was unlike any chicken I have ever had...........YEAH! One day I will order this at a restaurant and see the difference, but please TRY THIS!! If not look up other videos by other people on youtube and follow their Kara^age recipe. This is GREAT F^ING CHICKEN! Sorry for cursing. It was really that good!
Congratulations on your new discovery!

Just wanted to say, because it was not mentioned in the video, that a liberal squeeze of lemon just before you eat karaage would be a nice touch.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Red wine? That's an odd twist! I didn't have any Sake last time I made kara-age so I used Mirin instead. Was super sweet but I enjoyed it. Has anyone else made any changes to the classic recipie that turned out good?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Distortedshell (Offline)
JF Regular

08-24-2011, 08:05 PM

I don't know whether I would want lemon on it, but I will maybe keep it in mind for next time. I have put lemon on chicken and fish before but I am not exactly crazy about it.

Yes! I'm with SHADOW, who here has made Kara-age and made changes to the recipe that turned out really good????

Please, share your Kara-age cooking experience with us.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Arisa2802 (Offline)
New to JF

09-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Hi,

Congratulations ! I have never made karaage ( maybe because i'm lazy and i can buy it on the supermarket next to my house xD ) but i will definitely try next time and i'll tell you my recipe(well, only if it's good)
I made some gyouza today and I'll put the recipe tomorrow if I have time. ^^
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Distortedshell (Offline)
JF Regular

09-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa2802 View Post
Hi,

Congratulations ! I have never made karaage ( maybe because i'm lazy and i can buy it on the supermarket next to my house xD ) but i will definitely try next time and i'll tell you my recipe(well, only if it's good)
I made some gyouza today and I'll put the recipe tomorrow if I have time. ^^
I hope it turns out real good. Let us know how it turns out.