JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

Question Sourcing Japanese ingredients in the UK - 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM

hiya guys

I'm sure this has been covered in parts in other threads, but I think it'd be useful to have it in one thread...

I want to cook more Japanese food at home, but it's hard to find the correct ingredients; even the most simple ones like short grain rice for sushi.

I know that Sainsbury's and Tescos have world food sections that have basics (sainsburys is much better); but their sushi rice is sold in such measly sizes and WAY over priced (£3.17 / kg? ); does anyone know a better source?

I did have a Chinese supermarket (well; small shop) near by that had a small Japanese section but of course it was hard to get what I wanted or needed due to language blocks (I don't read Japanese of Chinese and the staff rarely speak English). The shop seems to have closed indefinitely though

I know I can probably order some stuff on-line; does anyone have any recommendations?

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I know that Sainsbury's and Tescos have world food sections that have basics (sainsburys is much better); but their sushi rice is sold in such measly sizes and WAY over priced (£3.17 / kg? );
I can't help you find things for cheaper, but...
That doesn't sound overpriced at all. In fact, it sounds quite reasonable.
I am in Japan and I just bought a 2kg bag of regular rice (short grain, Akita Komachi - just enough to hold us over until our regular rice is harvested and we can buy a 30kg bag)... And it cost 880yen. And that was kind of on the cheap side. A kg is about 500yen, which would be more than £4. Your price doesn't sound bad at all, really.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Sushi rice is expensive. End of. Especially actual Japanese sushi rice and especially at the moment because imports have been stopped from Japan and the price has risen since the earthquake. £11 for a kilo of the good stuff is about usual, not counting P&P. A reasonable second is a brand called Sakura; it's a pink bag and it's from spain, but it's not terrible. You can order online from the Japan centre in London (google it), and they carry a lot of stuff, and have English on their site.

happy cooking!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Yume Super Premium Rice, 15-Pounds Bag: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

It is Sasanishiki if it uses it for the sushi.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

09-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
That doesn't sound overpriced at all. In fact, it sounds quite reasonable.
I am in Japan and I just bought a 2kg bag of regular rice (short grain, Akita Komachi - just enough to hold us over until our regular rice is harvested and we can buy a 30kg bag)... And it cost 880yen. And that was kind of on the cheap side. A kg is about 500yen, which would be more than £4. Your price doesn't sound bad at all, really.
ahh well, y'see here I bought our "normal" long grain rice for 99p/kg; so compared to that it's a fair bit more

Sadly; that's still in america... the closest I found on UK Amazon is this one and it may be a saving but £45 is a lot up front

There's more things that are hard to get a hold of too; I last got me some Dashi stock when I was in London at Japan Centre... anything closer /better? :3

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲