JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MisawaMama (Offline)
New to JF

Question American style food in Tokyo? - 10-14-2011, 01:15 AM

I have lived in Japan for two years (I am an America). We live very far north in a pretty rural area. We LOVE Japanese food, but obviously eat it most of the time we go out, being that there aren't many options up here.

I will be in Tokyo for five days and would like to treat my children to a couple of fun American style meals. We will be staying near Roppongi, but will be hopping around. Where would you recommend (no fast food but restaurant chains are fine).

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisawaMama View Post
I have lived in Japan for two years (I am an America). We live very far north in a pretty rural area. We LOVE Japanese food, but obviously eat it most of the time we go out, being that there aren't many options up here.

I will be in Tokyo for five days and would like to treat my children to a couple of fun American style meals. We will be staying near Roppongi, but will be hopping around. Where would you recommend (no fast food but restaurant chains are fine).

Thanks!
There are Denny's just about all over the place although I'm not sure if that counts as 'fast food' or not. There's an American Pizza place in Ikebukuro, but I think the pizzas are actually pretty non-American style. I think there's a T.G.I Fridays in Shibuya, but I haven't seen it myself, and I know there's a few Hard Rock Cafe's knocking around. I'm sure if you google you'd get some addresses. Hope that helps!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2011, 01:31 AM

Just off the top of my head, there's T.G.I. Fridays and Outback Steakhouse (which, if I remember correctly, is an American company, despite the theme). Can't get much more American than stuff that's been imported directly from the source. Just visit their websites for locations. I believe there's an Outback in Roppongi.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MisawaMama (Offline)
New to JF

10-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
There are Denny's just about all over the place although I'm not sure if that counts as 'fast food' or not. There's an American Pizza place in Ikebukuro, but I think the pizzas are actually pretty non-American style. I think there's a T.G.I Fridays in Shibuya, but I haven't seen it myself, and I know there's a few Hard Rock Cafe's knocking around. I'm sure if you google you'd get some addresses. Hope that helps!
Hmmm... they've never been to a Hard Rock Cafe. That might be fun for them. Thanks!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2011, 01:38 AM

I wouldn't go to Denny's if you're lookng for American food in Japan. The only thing that's the same is the name of the place. Everything on the menu is just typical Japanese family restaurant fare, and not even as good as Gust or Johnathon's in my opinion. 7&i Holdings bought the license to Denny's in Japan, but I don't know why they don't just make a new name for the places and stop wasting their money licensing the name when everything else is different. It's not like Denny's has really high brand recognition in Japan, even in its current incarnation as an average family restaurant.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MisawaMama (Offline)
New to JF

10-14-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
I wouldn't go to Denny's if you're lookng for American food in Japan. The only thing that's the same is the name of the place. Everything on the menu is just typical Japanese family restaurant fare, and not even as good as Gust or Johnathon's in my opinion. 7&i Holdings bought the license to Denny's in Japan, but I don't know why they don't just make a new name for the places and stop wasting their money licensing the name when everything else is different. It's not like Denny's has really high brand recognition in Japan, even in its current incarnation as an average family restaurant.
Haha, no Denny's for us. I figured it would be Japanese style, kind of like Coco's is up here. Thanks, though!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisawaMama View Post

Thanks!
By far he most "American" restaurant I have been to in Tokyo is the main restaurant in the New Sanno Hotel in Hiroo. That is if "American-ness" is very important to you. It is definitely not even among the finer restaurants Tokyo has to offer.

(I mentioned it because there is "Misawa" in your username and thought you might have a U.S. military ID, which is needed to get into New Sanno.)

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2011, 08:22 AM

I fondly remember my two years at Misawa in the 80s....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-27-2011, 06:35 AM

there is an american burger restaurant in roppongi just in front of don quixote or was it subway. It is in the corner going to the Philippine embassy.

then there is Roccos New York Pizza in Oji too.

that is the only one I can remember

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-31-2011, 12:57 PM

I recommend Suji's which is between the main strip in Ropongi and the Tokyo Tower.
Menu: [:: The next best thing to mom's home cooking - SUJI'S ::]
Map: GMAP