JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Which Sake set is the best? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/41501-sake-set-best.html)

Kirin368 11-23-2011 01:55 PM

Which Sake set is the best?

Hello,

I would like to buy a sake set as a present, but I really don't know what to consider for an appropriate sake service.

Shall it be porcelain or ceramic?
Shall it be a pot like this or this?
In Asia-Restaurants the carafe sometimes has another larger pot filled with warm water to keep the sake warm. I can't find one like that, is it advisable?
Is it possible to get a decent set for about 25€?

I would be glad for any help or recomendation, either what to think of or good shops selling good ware (I don't want to end up with some kind of tourist decoration :/).

Thank you and best wishes!

TalnSG 11-23-2011 07:59 PM

Are you sure the person you are buying for drinks their sake warm? There are excellent sakes that are served ice cold.

Because I drink mine cold, bamboo sets work well and have a nice feel to the hand. But they have two draw backs. (1) they absorb the flavor and serving anything other than sake is a bad idea once they have been used the first time. (2) they cannot be heated. Though the cups don't need to be, the serving piece would be better if ceramic.
Sake Masu, Bamboo & Wooden Sake Sets
Amazon.com: 5 pc bamboo sake set: Kitchen & Dining

Kirin368 11-24-2011 08:23 AM

Oh dear, I really forgot to mention how we want to serve it... sorry. I only recently learned that certain sakes can be served cold (the ones I know always had a bitter taste before warmed, even very good ones - at least we didn't like the taste of it :) ).

I saw those bamboo-sets and really like the exotic look of it - but that's not what I want (although I think about buying a set just as decoration :o )

Thank you for the two links and the idea with amazon (is there anything you can't buy on amazon now?). I'll see what I can find on the german version.

The first link has awesomely beautiful sets, though I'm a little reluctant to bus in USA and send breakable stuff to germany :/ But if I can't find a decent shop over here, I'll have to think about it.

Thank you :)

samokan 12-06-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirin368 (Post 887979)
Hello,

I would like to buy a sake set as a present, but I really don't know what to consider for an appropriate sake service.

Shall it be porcelain or ceramic?
Shall it be a pot like this or this?
In Asia-Restaurants the carafe sometimes has another larger pot filled with warm water to keep the sake warm. I can't find one like that, is it advisable?
Is it possible to get a decent set for about 25€?

I would be glad for any help or recomendation, either what to think of or good shops selling good ware (I don't want to end up with some kind of tourist decoration :/).

Thank you and best wishes!

Maybe you can use this as reference:

HAKUTSURU SAKE OF AMERICA INC.