JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2007, 09:22 PM

I don't think the visa method would be the best route for me to go anyway. I plan to live in Japan permanently. Did research regarding this, and according to that, if you plan to move Japan permanently is to apply as an "alien". I know this means you're not a native of the country because you weren't born there, but essentially, you have temporary citizenship (I know to be eligible to apply for Japanese citizenship as a foreigner you have to live in Japan five years minimum). If you're a tourist, and you have a passport, all they have to do is stamp your passport and you can vacation/visit there for up to 3 months.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
I don't think the visa method would be the best route for me to go anyway. I plan to live in Japan permanently.
There IS no other method. If you want to live in Japan, you need a visa, and to get a visa, you either need to:

A) Be a student wanting to study in Japan
B) Hold a 4-year bachelor's degree and be able to secure a job in Japan
C) Be married to a Japanese national

You can't just go there and apply for permanent residency - what do you think the visas are for?? If you can't fulfill any of the above requirements, you can't live in Japan.

You're confusing what alien registration is. After 90 days of being in Japan, you need to apply for your "gaijin card", as it's colloquially called. This is just a requirement for foreign residents in Japan - they need it for important things like opening bank accounts or getting an apartment. You STILL need a visa to stay in Japan longer than 90 days (3 months).

Apparently you didn't do your research.

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 05-30-2007 at 10:38 PM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

05-30-2007, 10:51 PM

Kawaiineko:
I don't think anyone has ASSUMED anything about you, you're just ASSUMING that people ASSUMED something about you, in other words, you're the agressive one.
Everything I've said that you claim is ASSUMING something about you, is just information I've read from your previous posts.

Tokyo and Japan are not "westernised" as much as you think, if it is Westernised then why are you going in the first place? Also I don't think you can say it's westernised since you haven't been yet.

"No I'm not fat! That was extremely rude of you to assume which you did when you said "what are you fat"?

I never said you was fat, I never ASSUMED you were fat or anything, if you look back at my post and even to what is pasted above, I asked if you were fat, see the '?' at the end of the sentence...'?'

One last thing, your life is no concern to us, I'm going to ASSUME you want attention or sypathy? Yes - No?
Everyone has life problems, don't take it out on us bunch of words on a computer screen~ Kay?

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-31-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
If you're a tourist, and you have a passport, all they have to do is stamp your passport and you can vacation/visit there for up to 3 months.
That little stamp is called a TOURIST VISA.

But that`s beside the point. What you`re saying is really a mystery. You`re saying you plan to live in Japan permanently... But that you don`t need a visa because you`ll be a tourist.

Unless you`re talking about your visits to China.

You know that granted-upon-entry VISA they give tourists? It only happens among countries that are part of a specific agreement. There are only 27 countries currently taking part. The ONLY countries that are part of that agreement are those on this list:

Andorra
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brunei
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
the Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Do you see China on that list? I know I certainly don`t. That means that they do not grant visas upon entry. You HAVE to apply for a visa prior to your trip. Also, as a side note, not all the countries IN THIS PROGRAM grant 90 day visas. Some only grant 30 days, some grant up to 6 months. It varies based on the country you`re from and the country you`re visiting.

PLEASE actually do your research if you`re going to say you have.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-31-2007, 07:16 AM

OK Kawaiineko , don't burst your bubble here. The people answering your question are anything but rude, it may sound rude to you but that's the reality of it so try to deal with it.

Anyways, back to your question. Western foods. YES they are widely available. Do you know "CosCo" ? you can shop at your hearts contents for all the western food and product there. McDonalds, Starbucks, Krispy Cream, Shakeys, Pizza Hut, Bagel Store, HardRock are everywhere, even Windys.
If money is not a problem and you want more expensive item, look for a store like Daimaru or head to Midtown in Roppongi Hills.

You want more exotic product? Thai, Vietnam, Indian restuarant are also widely available.

So hopefully no violent reaction to this post of mine

About visa, Japan is one of the countries with the strictiest policy concerning visa application. So it is not easy. It never was, are and will be

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#26 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

No I'm not looking for sympathy with the crap that's going on in my life from people I don't know. If I wanted sympathy I could have gone into great detail with my problems, yet I was extremely vague about it. If you read my previous post, it implied that getting a visa is tied in with alien registration. I said quite clearly that if I have a passport, which is one part of the process of applying for a visa, it would make said process easier. If you don't have a passport it's twice as much work with acquiring a visa, because you have to apply for a visa and for a passport. Also, I never said "Oh, I'm not aware that western culture has influenced Japanese culture" because I'm well aware of this. Essentially what I was trying to say (imply rather) was that Japanese culture is currently a blend of two cultures. Western culture (primarily American culture) has influenced Japanese culture, so the blending
of the Japanese and western culture is the end result. Yes I know Japanese have their own philosophies and way of thinking; they have their own traditions because these were developed through the country's history. However, if you're going to deny that Japan isn't a blend of western and Japanese culture, you're wrong. Even the Japanese will acknowledge that western culture has influenced their culture. When you compare Japanese culture sixty years-seventy years ago to what Japanese refer to as "modern" Japan (current Japan) there are tremendous differences in the culture (because at that point and time Japanese culture was for the most part closed off to Western culture). I never said applying for a visa and an alien registration to Japan would be easy. What I said was, that if you have passport already, that will be less work regarding the process of acquiring a visa in general. Japan is probably as bias as the United States is with allowing foreigners to enter their country, since it is a homogeneous country (one language, primarily one nationality). Even today, the United States is a melting pot; it has been since the 1920's and people immigrated from all over the globe. One more thing regarding the visa, I corrected myself regarding what I thought with the definition I put with a visa because to an extent it was unclear and inaccurate.

Many people have come off with this attitude that all foreigners want to move to Japan (primarily Americans) and live in Japan but via an American lifestyle. Do you know how hypocritical of me that would be? If you're going to Japan but hesitant, reluctant, and/or too set in your own ways to adjust to their culture, you might as well continue living a lifestyle you're comfortable with and stay where you're currently living (your homeland essentially). However, I'm learning Japanese. I don't have to; nobody is forcing me too. Yet it would be the polite and respectful thing to do to communicate in their language so they understand what I'm saying and I understand what they're saying. Also people tend to warm up to you more if you at least attempt communication with them in their native language. Example, I don't know that much kanji but I do recognize your kanji. The romaji for it is "hachi"; the hiragana for it is はち. No I'm not doing this to come off as a know-it-all because I've only been studying the language ten months. What I'm doing is giving you proof to prove to you what I say is true. If I had no knowledge of the Japanese language, I would not have been able to translate that kanji to romaji, and I wouldn't have been able to give you the English translation of the romaji. Bottom line is, I haven't even left for Japan yet, and I'm already trying to prepare myself BEFORE I go by learning and studying as much as I can with their language, so that when I go, I'll be at least semi-fluent with reading, speaking, and writing Japanese. I know in any language the most heavily used part is speaking; but if you want to be fully fluent in a language you have to know how to read, write, and speak it. This is my goal with Japanese. To assume all foreigners will act like this when they move to Japan is rude and ignorant. I'm a foreigner and I have no intention of acting like an American in a Japanese culture; just as Japanese have been influenced by western culture because they have become semi-immersed in it the same principal can apply for me. Japanese culture will influence my lifestyle and how I think because I will be immersed in it. However, if you're saying western culture isn't going to influence me at all you're wrong. I believe the foreigner's culture will influence them to an extent because it's how they were raised, and how you were raised tends to mold you as a person to an extent.

Last edited by kawaiineko : 05-31-2007 at 01:39 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-31-2007, 01:26 PM

there is always Mcdonalds and KFC wherever u r in the world. But they cost more over there than in the states after the currency exchange
(#28 (permalink))
Old
glaylover (Offline)
Nan de?

05-31-2007, 01:58 PM

In the KAnsai area they have a foriegn food store called Itotome. Great but a little pricey.

Glaylover

zutto futari de..........
(#29 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

ありがとう ございます (arigatou gozaimasu)
(#30 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-01-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
If you read my previous post, it implied that getting a visa is tied in with alien registration. I said quite clearly that if I have a passport, which is one part of the process of applying for a visa, it would make said process easier. If you don't have a passport it's twice as much work with acquiring a visa, because you have to apply for a visa and for a passport.
Well , you need to apply for a passport first before you can apply for any visa for any country you are going or planning to visit.

When that part is over, next step would be a visa. There are different type of visa, tourist, working, student, missionary, spousal, etc. And each of this visa have different requirements.

The alien registration card can only be acquired when you arrived at the country and if and only if you plan to stay for 100 days or more. If your length of stay is less than that, you are not required to apply for an ARC( alien registration card ).

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------