JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

06-01-2007, 07:58 AM

A lot of ignorance in that post if you ask me. Judge Japan after you've been.

Before you learn Japanese, learn English first, you obviously skipped the paragraph part, reading your posts makes my eyes hurt. =__=

(#32 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

06-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
If you love Japan so much do a bit of research

Best get accustomed to octopus and seaweed as soon as you can

Those were two assumptions made right there

And I'd just stop being a puff and eat their friggin food.

The first implies I've done no research about the culture of Japan, the food they eat, and that western foods aren't available in grocery stores (wrong, I have)

The second statement implies I'm reluctant to even eat Japanese food because I'm not going to like it since it's different from western cuisine (wrong, I just don't care for fish/seafood)
Well, the fact that my local super market sells ALL western food. Maybe not all popular western brands. And that even in my poxy little town there are loads of italian, american, indian, french restaurants, shows that you have not done any research! If you had done some research then you would have discovered the truth, that western food is readily available.

You do realise that people also gave you advice too. But why focus on the advice & say thank you when you can flame?

How long will you stay in Japan?
(#33 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

Red face Let's just get back on topic here... - 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM

済みません (sorry);

I tend to over react at times and read more into statements than is actually there.

If I have caused offense, I apologize.

But honestly, this post WAS originally an attempt to ascertain the availability of western foods in Japan. How it turned into a flame war is still beyond me, but I am sure my temper had something to do with it.

Passports, visa's and such aside, it Will be a few years before I can afford to relocate, and thus I will burn those bridges when I come to them, (hopefully AFTER I have crossed them).

My main reason for inquiring into the availability of western foods is tied into my desire to gradually accustom myself to Japanese cuisine by mixing and matching it with western meals.

On a side topic, perhaps someone can clear up a bit of confusion that I am currently experiencing.

I have been told on more than one occasion that Japan is one of the most expensive places in the world to live... How true is this?

All of my research into housing and other costs leaves me with the distinct impression that it is actually cheaper to live in Japan than it is to live where I currently do in south west Florida. (By a good margin no less) This includes living in Tokyo, which I have been told is one of the more pricey places to live in Japan.

Any comments on that one?

Sorry for my earlier commentary;
Kawaiineko
(#34 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

Ps... - 06-07-2007, 12:55 AM

I actually intend to move there permanently.

Kawaiineko
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-07-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
I have been told on more than one occasion that Japan is one of the most expensive places in the world to live... How true is this?
That is indeed true, and the closer you are to the big cities, the higher the price goes. Just out of curiosity, why are you intending to move to Tokyo? Many westerners who move to Japan end up feeling a lot more comfortable in one of the [relatively] smaller cities, as they are away from the hustle and bustle Tokyo.

I lived in Nagoya for 1 year - it's the fourth largest city in Japan, and it is big enough so that a westerner can still integrate into Japan without being totally cut off from what they are used to back where they came from. Plus, Nagoya has many many parks, and the city is very clean and much nicer looking than Tokyo. Tokyo is a mess of concrete and people - it's a great place for shopping and having fun, but man, I wouldn't wanna live there.

I would also like to say, do your best to make a trip to Japan prior to moving there. You absolutely must experience Japan first-hand before you make one of the biggest life-altering decisions in your whole life. You can learn every bit about the Japanese language and culture, but you can never, ever be completely prepared for life in Japan. When westerners move here, they first experience the euphoric feeling of living in some place completely foreign and exotic to them, and they love it. However, after the feeling wears off they realize that Japan is just another country - a country that has just as many ups and downs as the United States or Australia or anywhere. It is at this point where people will either go through a severe depression and leave, or they take things as they are and begin living their day-to-day life in Japan.

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 06-07-2007 at 04:27 AM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Senekisu (Offline)
New to JF

06-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Okay i've never been into a western food shop but it does not taste that authentic because they use japanese ingredients and mix it with western ingredients to make. Heck the pizza contains corn, most westerners would be like WTF?! when they see it. But its still good food

(#37 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

Ano.... - 06-07-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you intending to move to Tokyo?
Actually, I have no intention of living in Tokyo, I was simply noting it's pricey nature. I would rather live somewhere more rural to be honest.

Quote:
Tokyo is a mess of concrete and people - it's a great place for shopping and having fun, but man, I wouldn't wanna live there
So I have heard.

Quote:
I would also like to say, do your best to make a trip to Japan prior to moving there.
If my finances allow, I intend to do just that.

On the flip side, Housing, at least, is cheaper there than here. How messed up is that?

Domo Arigatou for your input
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I lived in Nagoya for 1 year - it's the fourth largest city in Japan, and it is big enough so that a westerner can still integrate into Japan without being totally cut off from what they are used to back where they came from. Plus, Nagoya has many many parks, and the city is very clean and much nicer looking than Tokyo. Tokyo is a mess of concrete and people - it's a great place for shopping and having fun, but man, I wouldn't wanna live there.
Hmph - it sounds better if you refer to Nagoya as the third largest metropolitan area in Japan... Which it is. Fourth makes it sound smaller than it is, and really, Tokyo and Yokohama had might as well be one big city.

I keep meaning to ask you - exactly *where* in Nagoya were you? (Feel free to go into detail, I`ll know where you`re talking about.)

I`m really quite thrilled to have another Nagoya supporter on here. I`d never choose to live anywhere else.

Back on topic though -
What food exactly do you want to eat? Is it something that you can`t prepare from raw ingredients?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.