JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
COnfidential (Offline)
Follow Your Bliss

Dried seaweed - 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM

I've looked in my local stores for about 2 weeks and I cant find the right rice for sushi or dried seaweed for sushi. So im asking if long-corned rice is equal quality as hole-corned? and Is it possible to make my own dried seaweed?? If yes, HOW? Is it like I firt get them from the seaside, dry em up, wash em, dry em again, salt em dry em... well I have no idea:P

Suteki da ne
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)
I is the Ebil Fuzzy BunnY

Send a message via AIM to Kayame
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COnfidential View Post
I've looked in my local stores for about 2 weeks and I cant find the right rice for sushi or dried seaweed for sushi. So im asking if long-corned rice is equal quality as hole-corned? and Is it possible to make my own dried seaweed?? If yes, HOW? Is it like I firt get them from the seaside, dry em up, wash em, dry em again, salt em dry em... well I have no idea:P
Most places have sushi rice, and as for the dried nori, you can just order it. I'll find you a site where you can order all that from.

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

06-05-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Don't go picking seaweeds from the shore. That's just like hunting mushroom on your own and it might result in much unpleasant turmoil.

You should be able to find various dried seaweeds, most commonly nori (for sushi), kombu, wakame, and arame, in any good supermarket. I find mine at the local Loblaw's, in the bio/natural produce section, where they also got those gluten-free flours and such.

Kombu is basic to making dashi, the versatile soup base.

Dried kombu (kelp)

Rice for sushi should be the round short grain Japanese rice. The best is said to be Nishiki rice. Look for that on the package when you buy rice.

Sushi rice

Japanese rice can be grown outside of Japan, sush as in California but purists will frown upon the use of "alien" rice. Personaly I have not noticed a difference, except that the California grown Japanese rice is cheaper. Iron Chef Japan Masaharu Morimoto uses blends of native Japanese and American grown rice in his cooking.

If you have trouble finding seaweeds and sushi rice, go to a sushi restaurant and ask the chef where he finds his. You may have to bribe the chef with sake.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-05-2007, 12:56 PM

yea depends on where u live..if u live in bigger cities..go to the local asian area and u'll find grocery stores dat sell seaweed
(#5 (permalink))
Old
COnfidential (Offline)
Follow Your Bliss

06-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Thats just the problem, Ive gone to all the local stores, asian food stores, and supermarcets... the closest I get to any kind of Japanese food is egg noodles... and they are thai..
The rice I can find is only "Jasmin" rice and it says its long-corned.
Ive been to thai restaurants, chinese restaurants and such for about 4 years and its never been any sushi on the meny :S I cant stand this narrow-mindedness my country has O-O

Suteki da ne
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

06-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Thats just the problem, Ive gone to all the local stores, asian food stores, and supermarcets... the closest I get to any kind of Japanese food is egg noodles... and they are thai..
The rice I can find is only "Jasmin" rice and it says its long-corned.
Ive been to thai restaurants, chinese restaurants and such for about 4 years and its never been any sushi on the meny :S I cant stand this narrow-mindedness my country has O-O
You're in a pinch. But you can try using rizotto rice, which is short grain and should be commonplace in Europe. I wonder how that would work out.

EDIT : OK, here's a store just the other side of the North Sea from you : Japanese food Mount Fuji International - Online Japanese Food Shopping

They got the rice, nori, wasabi, and even sake.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli

Last edited by Avary_Ninja : 06-05-2007 at 06:59 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xvalilix (Offline)
New to JF

06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

When you went to the groceries, did u ask them if they had some, or just looked for yourself?
Because, in asian grocery you won't find japanese rice in the same place as the jasmin one. They would be in a different place. Well I could not tell you where exactly, but just ask. It's like impossible that there isn't any short-corned rice.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
COnfidential (Offline)
Follow Your Bliss

06-19-2007, 06:01 PM

I asked the ones working and they hadnt even heard of nori beforee or not even rice-vinegar

Suteki da ne
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

06-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Did you try looking online at places in your area? A lot of times if a store doesn't carry it, you may have to resort to buying from a trustworthy website.

If I was you, I'd ask around maybe people in your country can point you in a direction. Are there Asians anywheres areound you? Maybe they know?

Oh, and I don't know if they do, but maybe the supermarket can put in an order for some.