JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
caisaki (Offline)
JF Regular

Do you make your own bento? - 06-13-2010, 07:25 AM

I will be trying to make my own bento lunch boxes very soon for the opening of classes. But I am quite short of recipes for bento meals, and I would love it if you could post some of your pics and recipes of bento meals here, or even anything that I can put in a small bento lunch box.

I have also been trying to search for kawaii bento lunch boxes in eBay but I can't seem to find the perfect one. Can you guys help me out?

Last edited by caisaki : 06-16-2010 at 02:54 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM

I tend to shop on Mrs. Lin's Kitchen (Mrs Lin's Kitchen carries beautiful Asian dinnerware and Asian home decor at outstanding prices!, but this place seems to have the largest selection since my other favorite source for bento boxes closed.
Bento&co | The Bento Shop | Products

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
caisaki (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I tend to shop on Mrs. Lin's Kitchen (Mrs Lin's Kitchen carries beautiful Asian dinnerware and Asian home decor at outstanding prices!, but this place seems to have the largest selection since my other favorite source for bento boxes closed.
Bento&co | The Bento Shop | Products
I just checked Mrs Lin's kitchen, and I totally fell in love with the red bento box and Asian cookware. I have to save up so I can buy! Thanks!

Last edited by caisaki : 06-16-2010 at 02:58 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM

I got my bento from Jlist, Bento Product (View All).

As for Recipes, My Lunch Can Beat Up Your Lunch! Has a bunch of pretty good ones.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-22-2010, 03:51 PM

I find it kind of fascinating that the stuff I regularly pick up for bento at the 100 yen shop is all $2.80, and the stuff that is sold for 980yen everywhere in Japan is $20 something on Jlist.

Even with the costs in transport and import... And even if they don`t buy from the producer and pay regular price in a store (pretty much unthinkable...) that is still an amazing markup. Wow.

I bought my son`s bento box here, and my husband`s at a regular department store.
But I don`t count because I live in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Despite finding some nice ones online, i picked up my favorite/best bento box at the local H-Mart. Its the classic model Zojirushi and really holds up to being knocked around on the train, while keeping everything nice a cool.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

06-22-2010, 09:28 PM

I don't often see everyday bento boxes I like online. They tend to either be too cutesy for my taste or too expensive. I got mine in Kyoto...somewhere near nishiki market I think. I wouldn't say it's the best; I'd prefer something with a proper clip-down lid, but it does the job well enough and hold a decent sized lunch. I'm dying for some nice new chopsticks though. My sister borrowed my nice ones and left them in the washing-up water overnight and the lacquer is now flaking off.

I don't make bento very often anyway, because I get free lunch at one of my workplaces and the other is an evening job, but I made bento twice this week. A nice lunch really cheers me up in the middle of a boring day.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I don't often see everyday bento boxes I like online. They tend to either be too cutesy for my taste or too expensive. I got mine in Kyoto...somewhere near nishiki market I think. I wouldn't say it's the best; I'd prefer something with a proper clip-down lid, but it does the job well enough and hold a decent sized lunch.
I`d say that "bento" has become one of those normal everyday things that has become somehow romanticized...
The "bento" that is popularized in the west is the stuff for little kids. All the cutesy decorations, the little design foods, etc. It`s stuff that is pretty much limited to the 3 ~ 6 set, and special occasions like elementary school picnics. Once the kids get past the age where you are relying on the attractiveness of the food to tempt them to eat it, preparation is more utilitarian... As are the boxes themselves.

Zojirushi, Tiger, and Thermos tend to have some nice boxes. Probably not "bento" enough for some, but that certainly work wonderfully for 弁当.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`d say that "bento" has become one of those normal everyday things that has become somehow romanticized...
The "bento" that is popularized in the west is the stuff for little kids. All the cutesy decorations, the little design foods, etc. It`s stuff that is pretty much limited to the 3 ~ 6 set, and special occasions like elementary school picnics. Once the kids get past the age where you are relying on the attractiveness of the food to tempt them to eat it, preparation is more utilitarian... As are the boxes themselves.

Zojirushi, Tiger, and Thermos tend to have some nice boxes. Probably not "bento" enough for some, but that certainly work wonderfully for 弁当.
Umm... been a while since I was in elementary school, but do kids in the West no longer carry lunch pales and brown bags to school if they are not eating school lunch? Not really asking you Nyororin, just curious.