JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Has anyone ever had...? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/5605-has-anyone-ever-had.html)

lpdirufangirl09 06-29-2007 02:50 PM

Has anyone ever had...?

Maybe this thread can be used to ask about different Japanese food items. We'll see. My question is...

Has anyone ever had Udon noodles? They come in package similar to ramena nd the noodles are squishy. Comments? Complaints? Cooking hints/tips?

chibibecci 06-29-2007 02:53 PM

yes- i tried them in Ryogoku with tenpura. I wasnt too keen- well I'm not going to have them again lol
have u tried them??

lpdirufangirl09 06-29-2007 02:56 PM

i bought some from wal-mart cause they have oriental foods next to mexican food and i'd never saw them so i thought i'd try it for lunch today.

chibibecci 06-29-2007 02:58 PM

i said i didnt like it.. but most people probably do ^.^
im not very adventurous with my food tastes
u will probly like it ^.^

KanaBros 06-30-2007 09:53 AM

Udon noodles are quite awesome with tempura...
I just got done with dinner and thinking of udon is making me hungry again..

lpdirufangirl09 06-30-2007 10:05 PM

well, i had em. i don't like 'em too much. they're not horrible they're just bland. >.<

jasonbvr 07-01-2007 01:59 AM

Instant is Udon is not so tasty and as you say quite bland. If you have some curry, try mixing that in there.

MMM 07-01-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpdirufangirl09 (Post 165846)
well, i had em. i don't like 'em too much. they're not horrible they're just bland. >.<

Just as spaghetti would be if you didn't know what to add to it. I would recommend trying udon at a Japanese restaurant. Like Jason said, there is everything from curry udon to tempura udon and a real variety.

I don't know anything about Walmart udon, but I am not surprised it didn't satisfy.

glaylover 07-06-2007 02:46 AM

The best way to experience udon for the first time would be yaki udon or curry udon soup. I personally love zaru udon, which is plain udon served cold and you dip in sauce as you are eating it. Don't buy pre packed stuff if it is your first time as it won't give you the true taste.

luna2 07-06-2007 02:57 AM

already tried udon-i pefer ramen better lol^^
ive tried soba too thats pretty awsome

CPU 07-06-2007 03:36 PM

Hmm, they are just fat noodles cooked on a hot gridle, nothing to get excited about on their own unless noodles are your thing. Although I still remember a dry flour taste in my mouth from eating them :mtongue:

Housetek 07-06-2007 10:28 PM

how did you eat it?

cold or warm?

in soup or w/o

I like it hot with broth, it has scallions and the broth kinda taste like miso.
really good for a cold day. and get a lil jump of warmth in ya.

Kitsune Udon is like the same but it has tofu and green onions, really good.

My favorite is Tempura Udon, it has fried prawn *yumm*

umm theres another kind with tempura and boiled bamboo shoots and veggies.

i forget what its called.

Theres a few places that sell JUST udon stuff in Takanawa *where i live*

Theres one that have specificly miso in it, kinda taste like Kistune.

and my friends mom made me Udonsuki
its a traditional hot pot w/ udon noodles has veggies and chicken and octopus and other seafood goodies.

you cant jus eat them right out of the packet.. like mmm said its kinda like eating spaghetti w/o all the sauce and the stuff you can put on it or cook it with.

there is Udon with curry but i cant stand curry, so i'd never touch it.

I notice the one udon restraunt that is near my house is usualy packed during lunch hours and have a line goin outside. Its also 2 minute walk from the Jr Shinigawa so alot of people on lunch break go there.

all and all its a very good noodle. a lil bit TOO filling for me, and i eat it when im feeling sick or when its really cold out.

theres also Vietnamese variations of it, with hot broth and chicken and beef with chopped onions.

and another viet dish that has that with a type of dumpling mixed with broth.

xYinniex 07-06-2007 11:39 PM

mm tempura udon. mmmmmm. gosh im hungry at 1 in the morning. XD. bad for diet. bad xyinniex:p

xNatsuki 07-11-2007 04:07 AM

They have excellent udon in Korea!! I love kitsune udon X33 I dislike the kind in the packages, those taste gross. Home made udon is the best!

zerojustice315 07-12-2007 06:49 PM

I've had them before... they're good, not much different from ramen

aikawaii 07-12-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibibecci (Post 164814)
yes- i tried them in Ryogoku with tenpura. I wasnt too keen- well I'm not going to have them again lol
have u tried them??

lol Same here becci ^^ Maybe it was just because we'd just come off the plane o_O ??

Aleesunz 07-12-2007 10:06 PM

Hahah. I love all Japanese noodley things.

They're all nice adn round and plump and come with the most deligtful sauces.

<3~x

And eh. I can't remember the difference between most of them tbh. I think Udon are the thicker than usual ones and are relatively short? Anyways, you just kind of simmer them gently in a saucepan and then take them out, make thee sauce then simmer the noodles again in the sauce.

At least, I think that's how you make more or less every noodle. (Usually gets them in a restaurant/muthurd makes them)

kuromiXpink 07-19-2007 09:06 PM

ive tried them before!~
they're really good~
it depends on what kind you buy
if you just buy the noodles with no flavoring it tastes bad
and it also depends on your timing on how you cook it
too long = too mushy
too quick= too hard

its one of my favorite foods^^~

Yggdrazzil 07-19-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpdirufangirl09 (Post 164811)
Maybe this thread can be used to ask about different Japanese food items. We'll see. My question is...

Has anyone ever had Udon noodles? They come in package similar to ramena nd the noodles are squishy. Comments? Complaints? Cooking hints/tips?

Squishy? are those the 'see-through' colorless noodless?

Laine 07-20-2007 12:41 AM

I prefer udon to other noodles most of the time; it's so soft and delicious! But I like my udon served in a soup broth with vegetables, and that makes it more of a winter food... so during this time of year, I prefer something more refreshing such as cold zarusoba.

tiki808 07-20-2007 12:46 AM

i love tempura udon!!!:D :D i think the taste differs from where you get it and who makes it

greenteajunkie 06-16-2008 06:09 PM

I like my udon with a soy sauce based broth with veggies and tofu!

I love udon because it's so squishy and the texture is really nice, when it's fresh.