(#501 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
I don't like california rolls much >_<.... Ohhh so it's like a variety? thats cool! what do you mean by "defined" o.o
defined as in it will almos always be that set of fish >.>'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#502 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

kyuu~ sushi tips <33 x] - 04-17-2008, 04:19 AM

x] a wee bit of insight on sushi....
because this one ish bored =3
typed this up like...last night [or a couple nights ago..can't remember >.<''']
and suddenly this one feels like posting x]
sooo anyway~~~
this one's tips on SUSHI! <333
=DDDD
and it's enjoyment x]

when you take a bite into a hamburger~ you get this huge kick in the face >.>'''
as you bite through the lightly toasted sesame bun, down into that savory mayonaise and ketchup, through the crisp, crunchy lettuce, juicy red tomatoes~ alllll the way into that huge hunk of moist and flavourful 100% all american [never frozen x]) beef patty~
and you get this wooping sensation of flavours x3 that seems to engulf you for a moment as you take the time to chew through this huge pile of mush in your mouth :3
am i wrong?
if that is the thing you were looking for in sushi~~~
then you are quite off the mark >.>"'
sushi, though it can pack quite a sensation in it's own respect, is not so heavily seasoned, and with such huge mixes of flavours.
if anything, sushi is quite comparative to wine.
each fish, though seemingly similar in appearance, has it's own different, but slight subtleties
that are generally not too perceivable to the typical [sorry but i just have to say it...] american palate [of which is generally used to what i described earlier x.x'
buut i digress x]
here's a simple list of somethings too look for when ordering sushi~~

The fish~

REALLY fresh fish should smell like it's just come right out of the ocean (if you've ever been down to a beach, or out at sea, you should know what i mean)
The fish should be beautiful in colour~
Tuna (maguro) should be a bright red, the taste of tuna is said to comparative to beef x] (beware of "unnaturally" red/pink tuna >.>"'; this kind of tuna has been preserved w/ carbon monoxide to enhance colour =.='''''...
it would be a great method and all...if it didn't degrade the flavour of the fish >.<""" )
Medium fatty tuna (chutoro) should be a brilliant coral pink~ and should totally melt in your mouth <33
fatty tuna (otoro) should be white~ maybe a bit of pink, and lustrously shiny x]
Salmon (sake) should glisten~ and be firm~
Red Snapper (tai) should be semi-translucent and have a clean, crisp feel/taste too it (lots of lower/american sushiya sometimes use "tilapia" as a substitute for tai =.=''' tilapia is whitish pink in colour, and you cannot see through it, it's also relatively dry >.>')
Japanese Red Snapper (madai) the GOD of sushi <3333 should be oilier than typical new zealand snapper (the one mentioned above; most higher class restaurants should carry this) and have a sharp crisp and clean taste to it *drool*drool*drool*dies* ;_;'''
Sea Urchin (uni) should be of a golden colour~ not faded, brown or yellow (not too sure of this description right here x.x'') uni should be sweet, and NOT fishy at all >.>'' (chef's w/ better tastes x] will add a few thin slices of japanese cucumber (kyuuri) ontop of teh uni for texture~~ small detail, works wonders)

NO fish should be stringy/chewy (w/ the exception of octopus (tako) because you just can't help that >.>") if your fish ish chewy x3...you prolly got cheated because they most prolly gave ye the tail end of the fish ^_^

The rice that is used w/ the fish should be slightly sweet~~
not too sweet, not too bland, not too sticky, not too hard~~
REALLY well done hand form (nigiri) sushi~ should MELT IN YOUR MOUTH <--- ---this is seriously not an exaggeration ._.'' (the main trick to making good sushi, is forming your rice so that it's soft enough to fall apart in the mouth, but hard enough to be picked up by chopsticks (hashi)

*tail end carries the most tendons in it <3 *

**tendons are NOT good eats x]

Rolls - the rice should be firm and not be fall off the thing >.>'

Well done rolls should not have the ingredients falling outta place, and the roll should not undo it's self >.>" (sometimes chef's screw up... >.<'' but this isn't really supposed to happen ^^")

For Spicy Tuna/Salmon/Yellowtail Roll~~
this is a personal preference, but the tuna in your spicy tuna roll should be cut in "chunks" and not a pile of mush >.>"''
whye???

if it's in chunks, chances are that it was cut from a quality block of fish x]

if it's a mush....2 possibilites exist...
1st~ you got jipped x3 ; the tail end is so full of tendons that it's unusable for anything else~ so the smart chef uses a spoon and scrapes the meat off the tendon~ mixes it w/ some seasonings, then rolls it up in a roll or something =3

2nd~ your chef has no idea wth he's doing~ and just mashed up a perfectly good piece of tuna (god FORBID this from being a possibility!! >.<""")

The only rolls that i know of that should have "mashed" fish in it~~ are
negihama and negitoro >.>"""
that is yellowtail (hamachi) w/ green onions (negi) and fatty tuna (toro) w/ green onions (negi)

buut this is more of a traditional dish and is quite unlikely to be found in typical american sushiya >.>''

to make this~ the hamachi or toro is literally grounded until it's almost smooth as a paste~ then mixed w/ the green onions, and rolled up :3

hmm ._.''
i guess that's about all this one cares to type up for now x33
if anyone has any questions~ PM this one! =DDD

P.S. OK!! so the list was NOT THAAAT simple......but..but it's SUSHI! >.<''''
damned thing is anything BUT simple ;_;'''

(#503 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
04-17-2008, 06:50 AM

i made a post on Sushi already =D

also a youtube video =)

but nice lil bits of info, good luck finding rolls in japan tho hehe

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#504 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

04-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
i made a post on Sushi already =D

also a youtube video =)

but nice lil bits of info, good luck finding rolls in japan tho hehe
they're all over houston x]

but meh~ i'm personally more fond of nigiri anyway ~~
nee housetek o.O' you work w/ sushi??? x.x'

(#505 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

YUUJI!!!

food section. sushi thread. >.>

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#506 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

04-17-2008, 01:50 PM

kyuuuu >.<

(#507 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM

I didn't like red snapper that much >_<. Unagi is still my fave XD. I'm semi sad about no rolls in japan. I ALWAYS get Nigiri but I like rolls too eat on the move like in a car since its easier XD. *mom breaked and a piece of Unagi just FLEW onto the car infront of us =(*

Unagi is definitly my fave piece! I have yet too try White tuna or Kani though.... ALSO when you order sashimi and they add in the greens and this pasta like thing, what IS the pasta like thing? XD some kinda vegitable strings?

PSN: Nemhy
(#508 (permalink))
Old
Slushy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Slushy Send a message via MSN to Slushy Send a message via Yahoo to Slushy
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Me I basically like all sushi, but I have yet to try the(dum dum dum)deadly blowfish...........other than that I LOVE SUSHI.......and sake
(#509 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

04-22-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
I didn't like red snapper that much >_<. Unagi is still my fave XD. I'm semi sad about no rolls in japan. I ALWAYS get Nigiri but I like rolls too eat on the move like in a car since its easier XD. *mom breaked and a piece of Unagi just FLEW onto the car infront of us =(*

Unagi is definitly my fave piece! I have yet too try White tuna or Kani though.... ALSO when you order sashimi and they add in the greens and this pasta like thing, what IS the pasta like thing? XD some kinda vegitable strings?
"pasta" thing is daikon x.x'
a kind of turnip i believe~ x]
and hte green is a shiso leaf

(#510 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

04-22-2008, 05:00 AM

mmmm....daikon!!!! I love sashimi! its a shame cuz most of my friends dont ah well..more for me!!!

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku