JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   I Can't believe Japanese people still eat this! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/6933-i-cant-believe-japanese-people-still-eat.html)

BillyT 08-11-2007 09:23 AM

I Can't believe Japanese people still eat this!

Fugu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tetraodontidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

· Puffer fish get their name from a natural ability. When they feel threatened, they puff up to as much as twice their normal size.

· Other names for puffer fish include fugu, blowfish, globefish and balloon fish.

· There are over 100 species of puffer fish. They live in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans.

· The poison from the puffer fish is 1,000 times stronger than cyanide. It is called tetrodoxin. One puffer fish has enough of the chemical to kill 30 adults.

· People in Japan eat puffer fish even though they know they can die if it isn’t prepared properly.

· Puffer fish are carnivores. They eat only meat.

· Puffer fish have fused teeth which they use to crush their prey and grind it. They eat sea urchins, coral, sponges and small crustaceans.

· Puffer fish have small mouths and fins in proportion to the rest of their body.

· Modified scales come in the form of spines.

· These fish have elasticized skin which enables them to puff up.

· The size of puffer fish is between six and twenty four inches long.

· Puffer fish can blink and close their eyes, which is very unusual. There are few fish that can accomplish this.

Housetek 08-11-2007 09:56 AM

ima try it b4 i leave Japan haha

Housetek 08-11-2007 10:00 AM

I cant believe Americans eat this!

Spikess 08-11-2007 10:06 AM

lol, aye the only difference between the two is one does the killing a lot more slowly.

terra104 08-11-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housetek (Post 203745)
I cant believe Americans eat this!

YUMMY! YUMMY!

terra104 08-11-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakashi (Post 203826)
You have got to be kidding me.

not at all... i love both healthy and Junk food! depends on my mood.. actually some times i crave junk food

terra104 08-11-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakashi (Post 203833)
Excuse me for saying this but.......Mcdonalds does not count as food!!!!!!!! Damnit!

haha, well not Mcdonalds per say...
well its food really.. JUNK food, but food nevertheless!

Abasio 08-11-2007 02:02 PM

Fugu is soooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!

I never understood how people could eat poison until I tried it! Definately worth the risk (there is in fact no risk unless the chef is wanting to kill you :p )

Housetek 08-11-2007 03:03 PM

theres a place in Roppongi called FUGU's, i wana try it out. it specializes in it.

and as for the MCGriddle.. its gona give you McGurgles followed by McShittles.

Kayci 08-11-2007 03:28 PM

No way in hell would I eat fugu. I'm disliked too easily.

I'll eat natto though. Yum :3 And no risk, either!