JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Tokyo Restaurants 2nd Most Expensive in World - 10-22-2007, 01:49 PM

According to Zagat Survey, restaurants in Tokyo are the second most expensive in the entire world in 2007 -- falling below London's prices in the last year. The average price of an evening meal in London has risen nearly 3% in the past year, topping $78 per person. Just behind the front-runner are Tokyo and Paris, where a meal will set you back $73 and $72, respectively.

Tokyo still lays claim to one dubious distinction: The average price per person at its 20 most expensive restaurants handily outpaces London's, clocking in at an eye-popping $215, vs. $177 in the British capital. Paris' 20 most expensive restaurants fall in the middle, with an average tab of $205.

Full article: World's most expensive restaurants in 2007
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dragonflyheels Send a message via MSN to dragonflyheels
10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

I hate restaurants... they're all a rip off... no matter where they are (apart from Big Wok, lol). I'm happy to live on what I can find, burn and eat from the supermarket (well not burn... I'm quite good at cooking, but never eat a rice ball from me... you'll die a horrible salty, ricey death).
Although, in Japan's defence: the Japanese put a load of effort into presentation and taste and if the food is top and the restaurant is nice with friendly staff then you don't mind. Plus Tokyo needs to rip off the tourists, like most cities do... AND, you don't HAVE to eat in one of Tokyo's restaurants.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2007, 03:38 PM

These numbers, though maybe true, are deceiving. The range of prices at restuarants is so wide, you can easily eat out every night for months and never pay $75.00, going to a different decent place every night. Tokyo doesn't really need to "rip off tourists".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dragonflyheels Send a message via MSN to dragonflyheels
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM

Yeah, reading that again... they don't NEED to, but most places do... I mean tourist = easy cash. Because to be honest when you're on holiday, you do over spend... or that might just be me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyheels View Post
Yeah, reading that again... they don't NEED to, but most places do... I mean tourist = easy cash. Because to be honest when you're on holiday, you do over spend... or that might just be me.
Keep in mind Tokyo isn't a tourist trap. The only places that count on tourist cash is at the tourist spots, but for the most part Tokyo is like any other big city. I don't see restuarants that particularlly cater to tourists (or rip them off).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

10-22-2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I'm saying that Tokyo isn't just out to get tourist money, but they might as well why they're at it... but I can't really speak, I've never been to Tokyo!
I've just thought of something too... maybe Tokyo is out to rip young people off like most of the restaurants here? I dunno, like I said... never been to Tokyo =P
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Aleesunz (Offline)
Watch This Space

Send a message via AIM to Aleesunz Send a message via MSN to Aleesunz Send a message via Skype™ to Aleesunz
10-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Well, Londunium is understandable...I mean it IS Londooon. And well, people have a pretty high standard of living in Tokyo? And aye, plus all the tourists.

And besides, you get a wide range of prices no matter which restaurant you go to tbh so ayyee.

./Let's Pretend We Don't Exist, Let's Pretend We're In Antartica

x~ www.lastfm.com/user/CallieBo ;p
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-23-2007, 07:27 AM

bottom line.. if you are not wiling to spend the dollars for a good meal, mcdonalds is another world wide food chain.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyheels View Post
Yeah, I'm saying that Tokyo isn't just out to get tourist money, but they might as well why they're at it... but I can't really speak, I've never been to Tokyo!
I've just thought of something too... maybe Tokyo is out to rip young people off like most of the restaurants here? I dunno, like I said... never been to Tokyo =P
I am really sorry. But I really don't understand what you are saying. I am reading that Tokyo businesses will "rip off" tourists and young people because they can? I don't know how they do things in London, I have only been there once and but I found a wide range of prices for equal services. I found Japan to be a more "you get what you pay for" society. Because there isn't the stream of tourists that maybe London had, shops are dependant on repeat business, i.e. quality goods/meals/etc. I have had good cheap meals, and delicious expensive meals, but since restaurant post their menus and prices at the entrance, you usually know what you are in for. (Can't say as much for other forms of entertainment.)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-23-2007, 08:30 AM

damn. i went from london to paris, and next year i'll be in tokyo... whats with me and expensive cities. haha..

i agree with MMM, though the prices might be true. in london and paris i can take you to a hundred restaurants where you can eat a very nice full course meal (from a lot of different countries) for about $6. i don't know about tokyo, but i'm sure its the same. Personally i never spend more then $25 dollars per person on a meal unless its an aniversary (gf etc et) or if i'm with mybrothers (in that case i don't pay cos they're loaded).

someone said that the staff and restaurants are nicer in tokyo than other cities and that staff are nice???? i totally disagree with that. you can go to any country in the world. and you can find well presented food and nice tasting food and lovely staff as in tokyo.