JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Makino (Offline)
New to JF

Verbs, Writing, and practice - 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Hello! I am self studying Japanese through Genki. Right now I am learning the Ru and U verbs.. but how do you know when a verb is irregular?
Would memorazation be the best way to learn?

Also, I have a Japanese pen pal who is fluent in English, but I am not fluent in Japanese. I would like to write to her in Japanese, is there a sort of way to know how to make your hand writtian japanese look like a native Japanese

Lastly, because I live in a western home none of my family members speak Japanese. Because my goal is to travel to Japan and spend some time at a Japanese highschool, I would like to get as much practice as I can. What is a good way to "Japanize" myself so I can use the language constantly?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kaoken (Offline)
New to JF

11-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makino View Post
Hello! I am self studying Japanese through Genki. Right now I am learning the Ru and U verbs.. but how do you know when a verb is irregular?
Would memorazation be the best way to learn?

Also, I have a Japanese pen pal who is fluent in English, but I am not fluent in Japanese. I would like to write to her in Japanese, is there a sort of way to know how to make your hand writtian japanese look like a native Japanese

Lastly, because I live in a western home none of my family members speak Japanese. Because my goal is to travel to Japan and spend some time at a Japanese highschool, I would like to get as much practice as I can. What is a good way to "Japanize" myself so I can use the language constantly?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

There are only two irregular verbs so memorize them, くる and する。

To write like a native, practice writing over and over. And write neatly!

For you're last question, I think you can answer that yourself better than I. Here are some suggestions, tutor, school program, university, japanese friend, volunteer etc...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cloverella (Offline)
JF Regular

12-02-2007, 12:43 PM

In regards to the irregular verbs, I was taught that the only irregular verbs are:

来ます [kimasu: to come] - dictionary form is くる

and verbs which have the structure ~します
(eg. 練習します [renshuushimasu: to practice] or 运転します [untenshimasu: to drive]
- dictionary form is ~する

I could very well be wrong though, since I haven't been studying Japanese for a very long time. ^^; But I hope that kind of helps.

It's really difficult learning the language without some kind of teaching. Self-teaching is possible, but it'd probably be faster/more efficient learning in a course or in lessons, and you'd probably have more exposure to the language.

Good luck with it though~