JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Help!!! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/10151-help.html)

VelvetSky 12-01-2007 04:26 AM

Help!!!

I need help thinking of Japanese names for two animals. One animal is an albino white faced cockatiel(male) and a 7 foot burmese python also a male. My sister is looking for exotic names and something that would describe the animals. They are both very sweet temperaments and love to cuddle. If you have any ideas please feel free to help.

Nattybumppo 12-01-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetSky (Post 314472)
I need help thinking of Japanese names for two animals. One animal is an albino white faced cockatiel(male) and a 7 foot burmese python also a male. My sister is looking for exotic names and something that would describe the animals. They are both very sweet temperaments and love to cuddle. If you have any ideas please feel free to help.

How about for the cockatiel, シロ (Shiro)? It means "white" and sounds like a good pet name. My host family in Japan had a white cockatiel named Shiro, actually.

And for the snake, how about ナガ (Naga)? It recollects back to the Japanese word for "long" (nagai), and it's also a mythological reference- the naga are a supernatural race of snake-like beings in Indian mythology.

MMM 12-01-2007 09:00 AM

Are you sure you don't live in Japan, Natty?

MarkDuff 12-01-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 314591)

You don't have to live in Jpan to know the langue and about the mytholagy.

Nattybumppo 12-01-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 314591)

Heh, I'm sure. I used to, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDuff (Post 314596)
You don't have to live in Jpan to know the langue and about the mytholagy.

That is some of the worst typing I've ever seen.

MarkDuff 12-01-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattybumppo (Post 314622)
Heh, I'm sure. I used to, though.

That is some of the worst typing I've ever seen.

Oh that's my bad I didn't really read it be for I posted it. and I'm not that great of a speller ether..Sorry it my bad..

MMM 12-01-2007 10:51 AM

I think Natty got my point.

I find Nattybumppo's posts to be among the more readable.

Katchan6 12-01-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDuff (Post 314623)
Oh that's my bad I didn't really read it be for I posted it. and I'm not that great of a speller ether..Sorry it my bad..

u mean either :D
what about choco for the albino white faced cockatiel lol!

LawrenceT 12-02-2007 07:45 PM

Yeah, Shiro is quite a common name for a pet animal in Japan.

As for Naga, well, it is a nice choice, but something is missing. Let me suggest Nagahiko (for a boy) and Nagako (for a girl). Nagahiko can even be a human name. "Hiko" is related to Japanese gods, so it is very exotic.

I am a student and a part-time translator living in Kyoto.