JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   How to enable Japanese characters on your PC (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/11338-how-enable-japanese-characters-your-pc.html)

princessmarisa 09-14-2010 06:46 PM

As people who like Japan a bit too much tend to be towards the nerd side of the spectrum of life, I thought it best to include a guide for the most popular linux distros out there, those based on Ubuntu :D

Guide for Japanese input on Linuxmint (Ubuntu based OS)

Tested and working fine on linuxmint 9 Isadora, so should work fine for Ubuntu 10 Lucid Lynx

in language support
  • Install/Remove languages
  • Tick Japanese and ensure all components are marked, at the least Input Methods & extra fonts.

back on language support main tab
  • select input method ibus
  • use package manager and search for and install anthy and all reqd dependancies (or sudo apt-get install anthy)

find ibus prefrences GUI in your main prefrences menu
  • select an input method \/
  • Japanese > Anthy
  • (may need to press add)
  • in the first tab it is useful to select show icon in system tray and also set your shortcuts for enable/disable
  • default is ctl + space to switch from Japanese back to Default
  • hit close, restart and enjoy :)

knarF 01-05-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmarisa (Post 829086)
As people who like Japan a bit too much tend to be towards the nerd side of the spectrum of life, I thought it best to include a guide for the most popular linux distros out there, those based on Ubuntu :D

Guide for Japanese input on Linuxmint (Ubuntu based OS)

Tested and working fine on linuxmint 9 Isadora, so should work fine for Ubuntu 10 Lucid Lynx

in language support
  • Install/Remove languages
  • Tick Japanese and ensure all components are marked, at the least Input Methods & extra fonts.

back on language support main tab
  • select input method ibus
  • use package manager and search for and install anthy and all reqd dependancies (or sudo apt-get install anthy)

find ibus prefrences GUI in your main prefrences menu
  • select an input method \/
  • Japanese > Anthy
  • (may need to press add)
  • in the first tab it is useful to select show icon in system tray and also set your shortcuts for enable/disable
  • default is ctl + space to switch from Japanese back to Default
  • hit close, restart and enjoy :)

Thank you, i actually opened this thread to ask an easy way to do it on Ubuntu, i will be doing this later.

siokan 01-05-2011 08:42 PM

When you see the ASCII art of Japan

Win : MS PGothic

Mac : MS PGothic
(MS office trial install)

Unix : IPA Mona PGothic 
IPAモナーフォント
opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1_withIPAMonaFonts-1.0.8.tar.gz

Raijingusan 01-06-2011 12:49 AM

Installing Japanese Language On Windows 7

1.Click on Start Button and type updates,wait for the results and if you spot "Check For Updates" click on it

2.New explorer window will appear,again click on "Check For Updates" and wait for a while.

3.Then click on "xx Optional updates are avaible",from list tick - Japanese Language pack,and return to previous window by clicking on Ok,now you can click on "Install Updates". Wait till file will download and your pc will reboot.

(I already have installed japanese language pack so it doesnt shows in list anymore)

Now you should be able to read japanese characters on your computer,Hiragana,Katakana And Kanji as well.

Sorry for my english :)

princessmarisa 01-12-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knarF (Post 845102)
Thank you, i actually opened this thread to ask an easy way to do it on Ubuntu, i will be doing this later.

Welcome, please post back if you find another/better way or if it is slightly different for your version of Ubuntu.

juba 09-24-2011 04:41 PM

thanks i use windows 7 evreything is ok. i am new to japanese :)

Toast 10-25-2011 01:56 PM

I'm using the Microsoft IME, and it's all good but it's a random character to key. Is there no way to just be able to type 'ha' on the keyboard and get the symbol?

FRMNL 03-31-2016 12:35 PM

Very helpfull topic. I'm gonna try.

linhnguyen92 10-17-2017 02:30 AM

need help

Can u guys tell me how can i active Japanese characters on Mac OS.:confused: Thanks.