LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesama View Post
I have Windows XP and I don't have the instalation CD (My windows are original, I just don't have the CD)..what to do?

And I've read back few pages. MANY computers don't come with the CD. Mine is one of those.
If the copy on your computer is authentic and your computer didn't come with any media, then you probably won't need the Windows disk to install the other languages. The Windows install files are on your computer, they are just stuffed away. My laptop was like this, there was no need to have a
Windows disk when I added the east asian characters. My desktop however, did need the Windows disk because I installed XP on it from a retail disk.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
TokyoRain (Offline)
How strong are you now?

Send a message via Yahoo to TokyoRain
08-11-2008, 03:53 AM

thanks I was wondering about this one, and I didn't need the disc for mine and the new windows vista isn't much different just click control panel, classic view, and then it's the same from there I believe (at least mine was)

~Tokyo

"If I could follow my heart again it would be yours
with every breath I would find a way to love you more"
~With You by Josh Groban

"With you I have everything I have ever wanted. Simple and true. With loving eyes so beautiful." ~ With You by Josh Groban
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Pogostick (Offline)
New to JF

09-28-2008, 09:41 AM

heya,

Does anyone know how to do that on Windows Vista?
I wasnt able to figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance
(#44 (permalink))
Old
UbakaNEKO (Offline)
New to JF

11-19-2008, 10:58 PM

this has nothin to do with this topic but how do you change the avatar ,not from the site pics but from google images ? plz help !

I KYOU from fruits basket!! >.<
(#45 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

[GUIDE] Read/Write Japanese on your Windows XP PC - 11-25-2008, 04:23 AM

Read/Write Japanese on your Windows XP PC

Everyone, Konnichiwa! ^_^

This guide will show you how you can configure your computer to read and write Japanese. After this, your computer will be able to read all Japanese characters, and you can even write them too. I'll even hook you up with shortcut keys, so you can easily switch between English and Japanese output =] I will explain everything as clearly as I can, so enjoy!

NOTE: I have seen the thread here. I felt like this guide needed more, so I wanted to help out and contribute.

Reading Japanese Characters

First you must click on your Start button, and then open the Control Panel.

Then double click "Regional and Language Options".

Now click on the "Languages" tab, and check the box that says "Install files for East Asian languages". Then click apply.

You will then be prompted for your Windows XP installation disc. You should have this handy, but if not, this tutorial sadly ends for you. I do not know of a way past this, as it needs the files on the disc. Perhaps you can acquire them online somehow, but if not, I am sorry. If it is handy, that is good news. Pop it in and let it install the languages. After that reboot your computer.

Writing Japanese Characters

So, your computer can now read Japanese, congratulations! Now, what if you read someones post here on JF, and you want to reply in Japanese? This step is for you guys, so pay attention.

First re-open the Control Panel, and re-open the Regional and Language Options configuration window. Now click on the "Advanced" tab, and make sure that Japanese has a check mark next to it. Then hit apply.

Now, click on the "Languages" tab, and press the button labeled "Details". Then click the "Add" button, and match the below settings.

Then click the button labeled "Language Bar". Make sure that "Show the language bar on the desktop" and "Show text labels on the Language bar" are checked.

Now, click the button that says "Key Settings". Match the settings below, or modify them to your liking.

This will allow you to, at any moment, switch between typing English characters and typing Japanese characters! All you need to do is press on your keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+1 for English and CTRL+SHIFT+2 for Japanese. Also, I'll tell you how to use the language bar.

Using the Language Bar

All you need to do now is when the language bar is open, choose Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, etc. there are many options. To type Kanji, type the correct Hiragana and then hit the space bar until you are pleased (thank SHAD0W for pointing this out). Please enjoy your new configured PC and I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

NOTE: I do not own Windows Vista, so I do not know how to apply this to that Operating System. This guy does however:

Software Help TV: How to enable Japanese with Windows Vista English version.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by KUNIO : 11-28-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Link.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

11-26-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogostick View Post
heya,

Does anyone know how to do that on Windows Vista?
I wasnt able to figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance
This link may help you: Software Help TV: How to enable Japanese with Windows Vista English version.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
vaskajaheta (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to vaskajaheta Send a message via Skype™ to vaskajaheta
11-26-2008, 12:37 PM

i only get the kana to work... how do i get the other symbols to work? what did i do wrong you think??
(#48 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

11-27-2008, 05:01 PM

A good guide there. I can't believe this forum has gone so long without a sticky like this one!

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#49 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

11-28-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingAnt
A good guide there. I can't believe this forum has gone so long without a sticky like this one!
Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaskajaheta
i only get the kana to work... how do i get the other symbols to work? what did i do wrong you think??
What do you mean by "other symbols"?
(#50 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNIO View Post
What do you mean by "other symbols"?
Methinks they mean Kanji.

To get the kanji, you need to write the correct hiragana and hit space bar untill the correct kanji appears for your reading. (happy now kunio? )

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me