JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   How to enable Japanese characters on your PC (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/11338-how-enable-japanese-characters-your-pc.html)

YoshimiTheEthereal 06-01-2009 05:51 AM

Is there a way to do this without the OS disc? I don't know where mine is.

Miyavifan 06-07-2009 08:06 PM

I'm using my mom's comp right now, but Japanese doesn't show up, and she doesn't have the CD.

on my comp at home, I had downloaded a program that lets the Japanese show up how it's supposed to, but I can't remember what program it is.
Can anyone help me?

I had thought the program was mentioned at this forum, but I can't find the post.

Columbine 06-19-2009 10:51 PM

Can anyone help- I bought an apple Mac Laptop lately with the latest Microsoft office for Mac installed on it, and I know there is a way to pull up a kind of sketch box so you can draw in kanji and convert the scribble to text typing without having to input actual hiragana. Very useful if you can't read the kanji, or there's no furigana. My problem is that although i'm certain the function is there, I can't find it. On PC it's on the language tool bar but it's somewhere else on Mac and the search doesn't find it either. Anyone know what I mean and how to use it on Mac?

Routetosomewhere 08-30-2009 08:50 PM

aren't you supposed to install the Japanese Language IME from the Microsoft site?
Does anyone know how to add Furigana to kanji in Word and other programs???
Cheers,

Will

Orochitachi 08-30-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routetosomewhere (Post 766498)
aren't you supposed to install the Japanese Language IME from the Microsoft site?
Does anyone know how to add Furigana to kanji in Word and other programs???
Cheers,

Will

Here's what I did, as u mentioned above, i downloaded the IME Japanese language pack update.

Then i used control pale to add the japanese keyboard. ( cant bother type the steps here, but u'll find it under regional and laguage)

then once that was done, I opened word07 and then before I started typing I pressed Alt+shift to switch to japanese keyboard, then alt+` to get hiragana/katakana.

ps...kanji shoudl automatically fill in , i think it just converts itself to kanji( atleast that happens when I type.)

the only problem is that I have not managed to get the space as yet.

Orochitachi 08-30-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orochitachi (Post 766502)
Here's what I did, as u mentioned above, i downloaded the IME Japanese language pack update.

Then i used control pale to add the japanese keyboard. ( cant bother type the steps here, but u'll find it under regional and laguage)

then once that was done, I opened word07 and then before I started typing I pressed Alt+shift to switch to japanese keyboard, then alt+` to get hiragana/katakana.

ps...kanji shoudl automatically fill in , i think it just converts itself to kanji( atleast that happens when I type.)

the only problem is that I have not managed to get the space as yet.

There was some typo's.

pale, should be panel and laguage, shouldl be language....
I guess the need for sleep is kicking in; i can't focus.

ReHaM 09-05-2009 12:43 AM

its beautiful

thank you:)

yuriyuri 11-17-2009 09:34 AM

For those who do not have a disc to install Japanese characters but can at least see them, go here:
(Works best in firefox for me)
Ajax IME: Web-based Japanese Input Method

Enjoy.

OzukakiBurasuki 11-30-2009 06:28 AM

Hmmm... I have a question.

I have IME enabled for Windows XP and everything, but I was wondering something. I could have sworn I heard Nyorin saying once that you could use that IME to type romaji, which would turn to hiragana, then onto kanji/katakana. I was wondering how you do that because it is really confusing to have to memorize where all of the hiragana are on the Japanese-layout (ex. q = た). How would you do this?

MMM 11-30-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzukakiBurasuki (Post 785783)
Hmmm... I have a question.

I have IME enabled for Windows XP and everything, but I was wondering something. I could have sworn I heard Nyorin saying once that you could use that IME to type romaji, which would turn to hiragana, then onto kanji/katakana. I was wondering how you do that because it is really confusing to have to memorize where all of the hiragana are on the Japanese-layout (ex. q = た). How would you do this?

My IME doesn't work like that at all. I switch my keyboard to japanese then set to hiragana, then type. Romaji change to hiragana, then a hit on the space bar gives me kanji options.