JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Junochan (Offline)
New to JF

Writing to a host family in Japan... - 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM

Hello, everyone. This is my first post on this site and I'm in need of help. I am a U.S. citizen (I'm a boy, just so you know) with a huge interest in Japan. I've been really interested in exchange programs and such, but I have not been able to find a possible opportunity... until now...
I finally have a chance to get a scholarship, along with 19 other people, for an exchange program (my mother says not to give out WHICH program, due to competition) to Japan... and there is alot of paperwork and stuff I need to do... but one of the things I need to do is write to a host family.
There are no specifics to writing to them, but I would prefer to be proper, especially for a Japanese family I don't know yet. When writing or typing a letter, is there anything that is specific to Japan? Or anything to start/close the letter (like a "dear host family", a "Sincerely", an "I look forward to meeting you", or something like that)...?
For my own Japanese language knowledge: I have tried studying Japanese on my own for the past few years and I know the basics of the spoken language, as well as the hiragana/katakana lettering. Kanji is difficult for me, though I have been recently making an effort to study it more (I don't have any Kanji-specific textbooks), so I'm improving in that category. I know more than the typical person at my school (though the school has no Japanese language programs and it tends to be anti-asian, hence the rarity of this program).
The one thing the application didn't say was the language the letter should be in. The program says the host country language is not necessary, so I assume I can write/type in english (even for me, it would be hard to write/type in Japanese formally to a native Japanese person). However, I still would like some tips.

Also, if anyone would be so kind as to tell me a bit of the daily life of the average Japanese family during the summer (or rather, around the end of June to the beginning of August or so). I have done my own research and I've also had previous knowledge of some things, but it wouldn't hurt to hear from someone personally talking to me. I'm looking for things like how someone may take a bath or how/when they sleep or even emergency numbers... Proper etiquette(sp?) would also be appreciated...
And as to whether I'd be going to a Japanese school, I'm not sure (I'm only 16, and will be throughout the whole duration of the program, so it wouldn't be uncommon). The program didn't specify that information, though I wouldn't mind either way.
If ANYONE AT ALL can help me with this, it would be VERY appreciated...! I am very excited and may be getting my hopes up, but if I am chosen for the program, I would likely be one of the most happiest people in the world. That's why I am requesting this help! Thank you all for reading and I hope I didn't mess up the position of this topic on this site. If so, please notify me.
If you'd rather talk through MSN or if you'd just want to talk in general, please tell me so in this thread and I'll give you my hotmail name and hopefully contact you within 24 hours. *bows politely* Again, thank you, and I'm glad I was able to join this community~!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2008, 05:25 AM

Can you put more line breaks between your paragraphs? Your post is kind of a giant wall of text.

beforebreakfast.net: A new site for intermediate and advanced Japanese learners, made by yours truly!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2008, 05:38 AM

You might find this useful. I would probably, for the most part, stick to polite forms. Don't go too far into informal things.

I'm also applying for a very competitive scholarship. Only 23 people in the US will actually get it. Good luck!

I
沖縄           My blog
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Junochan (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybumppo View Post
Can you put more line breaks between your paragraphs? Your post is kind of a giant wall of text.
Sorry... I'll remember that next time...! *bows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
You might find this useful. I would probably, for the most part, stick to polite forms. Don't go too far into informal things.

I'm also applying for a very competitive scholarship. Only 23 people in the US will actually get it. Good luck!
Thank you very much...! *bows* I am usually polite when writing to those I don't know anyway, so I'll remember that, too. I'll try my best and you try your best...! I wonder what your program is... since mine is similar... >w<
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junochan View Post
Sorry... I'll remember that next time...! *bows*

Thank you very much...! *bows* I am usually polite when writing to those I don't know anyway, so I'll remember that, too. I'll try my best and you try your best...! I wonder what your program is... since mine is similar... >w<
Youth for understanding (YFU USA)

It's late enough for me to tell because applications for the last two scholarships (not the 23 person one) are due early 2月

I
沖縄           My blog
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Junochan (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2008, 11:16 PM

W-wait... How many people are applying for this scholarship...?! T-that's the on I'm doing...! They moved the due date further to get more people...
I-I hope I have a chance to win... After all... it's my dream...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junochan View Post
W-wait... How many people are applying for this scholarship...?! T-that's the on I'm doing...! They moved the due date further to get more people...
I-I hope I have a chance to win... After all... it's my dream...
Sorry to bring the bad news (if this applies to you).

The semester scholarship has just been canceled:

Quote:
THE JAPAN-US MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING PROGRAM FOR THE 21ST CENTURY (JUMP) SEMESTER SCHOLARSHIP HAS BEEN CANCELED FOR THE 2008 ACADEMIC SEMESTER. PLEASE CALL 1-800-TEENAGE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

Source: 2008 Japan-US Mutual Understanding Program for the 21st Century (JUMP)

I also applied for the summer ones, so I'm OK there. There are some summer ones still available. If you have 8k to dish out, you can go on the semester without a scholarship. However, there are only 3 spots for it. YFU has extended the deadlines of the summer scholarships to accomodate those who had applied only for the semester.

I was shocked when I found out they canceled it. Oh well.

If you need any help with the application, feel free to PM me.

I
沖縄           My blog

Last edited by Harold : 01-29-2008 at 11:55 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
danslak (Offline)
JF Regular

02-03-2008, 03:31 AM

When addressing the letter, always use "sama" not "san". This is very important! Sama is much more polite and is expected. Few outside of Japan seem to know this, so it might give you the edge you need. So, say you're addressing the envelope to Hisao and Aiko Yamada:

Yamada Hisao-sama
Aiko-sama

Or if for the whole family of Hisao Yamada:
Yamada Hisao-sama gokazoku ichidou-sama

For cultural reasons I'll never understand, most letters start with some mention of the changing of the seasons or weather in general. Here's one I get a lot: "As it becomes warmer with each rainfall, I hope everyone is keeping in good health." --Hitoame-goto ni atatakaku narimasu ga, mina-sama okawarinaku osugoshi no koto to zonjimasu.

Then, "This is the first time that I am writing to you."-- hajimete otegami o sashiagemasu. I know, it sounds weird, but more often than not, first letters are put this way.

End it with: "please forgive my terrible handwriting and poor grammar" --ranpitsu ranbun 0yurushi kudasai. (yes, a personal hand written letter will go farther in Japan than a typed one).

Then, a final ending might be: "Keigu"--respectfully yours.

PLEASE try to write in at least some Japanese. It will go a very long wayf!

Good Luck!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Junochan (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2008, 09:50 PM

SORRY for not replying in awhile... I had computer troubles... and I almost forgot...
I already submitted... and I was going for the summer in the first place...
Um... I just hope I can get it...

A-and I know about honorifics, so I'm pretty sure I can use them in the right situations... I just think... maybe it's not a good idea to use my nickname there... or at least, use "Juno-chan"... especially since I'm male... a-and it might be considered a "self-proclaimed" honorific, even though I was given the nickname by my friends... >////>;;;
Well, I've prepared as far as I think I should... If I win, I will definitely study more before I go on etiquette, lifestyle, and language...!

Again, thank you all for your tips and hints and for lending me a helping hand...! I appreciate it very much...!
But if I must... I have yet to hear from anyone from Japan... I'm sorta worried about something... I hate to ask more from everyone, but... yeah... sorry...
I wanted to know about the maturity in Japan... I mean, the adult content and how it is expressed...
I like anime and manga and games and I love cute things and I'm a fashion person as well (though I don't dress myself up)... b-but... I'm alittle too uncomfortable around perverted things... My friends tease me and I know it's sorta not a good thing, but... I'm more timid and shy offline than online... I get embarrassed easier... and whenever I see something perverted, I can get dizzy and I feel weird, so... I would like to avoid issues like that, if possible...

So I hope everyone is well and I'll tell you if I get the opportunity or not to go to Japan...! And even though I'm new, I hope to be able to become friends with people here...! If I do go, I'll take pictures and maybe bring them here...! *bows in appreciation*
~Juno-chan