JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

Question Japanese Characters - 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM

How can I type Japanese characters on my computer? It can display them, so I think I can type them...

This is a new computer, so I don't know a lot about it. I want to practice my Japanese on the computer instead of writing it all the time.

Thank you for your help.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#2 (permalink))
Old
eldruin (Offline)
日本は一番だ!

Send a message via MSN to eldruin Send a message via Yahoo to eldruin
02-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Are you running on window$ or linux?
if you use windows you can install the complex writting languages support so you can view and write in japanese, korean, chinese and all that.
Just go to administration pannel > languages and regional options > go to languages and enable "Install files for East Asian languages". Click ok and insert your original XP cdrom.
Follow the installation and restart your computer. after that, go to languages... again and click advanced, select japanese in the drop down menu, go to details and add a japanese input keyboard. click ok and look at your language bar so you can change the language between japanese and whatever.
For linux just ask again, it's distribution dependant but basically, you need to change the system to POSIX and utf-8 and install the anthy and some others, have a look on gentoo wiki.

If you can't just ask again.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldruin View Post
Are you running on window$ or linux?
if you use windows you can install the complex writting languages support so you can view and write in japanese, korean, chinese and all that.
Just go to administration pannel > languages and regional options > go to languages and enable "Install files for East Asian languages". Click ok and insert your original XP cdrom.
Follow the installation and restart your computer. after that, go to languages... again and click advanced, select japanese in the drop down menu, go to details and add a japanese input keyboard. click ok and look at your language bar so you can change the language between japanese and whatever.
For linux just ask again, it's distribution dependant but basically, you need to change the system to POSIX and utf-8 and install the anthy and some others, have a look on gentoo wiki.

If you can't just ask again.
Urk.

Unfortunately, all my computers, old and newest, are Macs. I may be able to ask my father or a person at a nearby computer store. Thank you anyway.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-26-2008, 10:23 PM

you should have done some searching before posting this, this is a sticky topic (always there) in general discussion

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...s-your-pc.html

I have shown you with pictures how to do it on a mac. trust me, for Japanese, macs are fantastic ^^