JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   The Word Drift in Japanese Symbols????? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/12889-word-drift-japanese-symbols.html)

DriftorDie 02-27-2008 08:55 PM

The Word Drift in Japanese Symbols?????

anyone know??

MMM 02-27-2008 09:08 PM

What are you talking about? What's a "word drift"?

MarkDuff 02-27-2008 09:39 PM

I think he just want a traslation for the word "Drift"

MMM 02-27-2008 10:01 PM

Oh, I get it now. Then I guess "Japanese symbols" means "written in Japanese".

"Drift" in what context?

anrakushi 02-27-2008 11:17 PM

i could only guess in terms of cars...

here is your answer for this 'sport' or activitiy or whatever you consider it:

ドリフト走行 - dorifuto soukyou

sorry if that is not as exciting as you wanted, ドリフト is simply the english word 'drift' put into Japanese pronunciation.

DriftorDie 02-29-2008 08:41 PM

Like Drifting the motor sport

the Word DRIFT short for Drifting im gettin that tattooed on my back just need symbols i dont know what context in japanese symbols all i can tell ya.

MMM 02-29-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriftorDie (Post 414941)
the Word DRIFT short for Drifting im gettin that tattooed on my back just need symbols i dont know what context in japanese symbols all i can tell ya.

Oh man, don't do it! It's a loan word, so it's written in katakana, hardly a tattoo-friendly syllabary. Seriously rethink this. If Japanese see it, they will scratch their heads or laugh.

anrakushi 02-29-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriftorDie (Post 414941)

well i told you how to say it but now im regretting that. what on earth would make you want to do that? i think you should take a trip to NY and get that special new ink that can be removed in one laser treatment. then later on when you WILL regret getting that tattoo at least it is easy to remove.

noodle 11-08-2010 11:51 AM

How would you write

"Top Drift"

in Japanese? And yes, I'm talking about the activity of motor-sport drifting... Like the movie Tokyo Drift or Initial D.

ドリフト走行 = Drifting. Right? As I don't know Japanese, I don't know how to add the Top.

Decimus 11-08-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle (Post 836450)
How would you write

"Top Drift"

in Japanese? And yes, I'm talking about the activity of motor-sport drifting... Like the movie Tokyo Drift or Initial D.

ドリフト走行 = Drifting. Right? As I don't know Japanese, I don't know how to add the Top.

トップドリフト

ドリフト走行 does mean "drifting", but it has a more technical connotation. It's not used unless you are discussing something "academically", such as in a wikipedia article.