LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digyourownhole View Post
damn, sorry people, i need to be more clear the first time.

what are, and thanks for this, the individual words okage, sama, de in: おかげさまで

much appriciated. And i will make sure i am more clear the first time, else this is going to be a long thread.
お - o
かげ - kage
さま - sama
で - de

o isn't really a word.. it's an honorific marker. I can't really explain it. It just makes things nicer? I separated it from kage, but if you want, you can put it together.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#12 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-09-2008, 10:37 PM

I think it is sad that more and more people are not writing some of these words and many others in kanji much anymore.

I write 御陰様で for おかげさまで, sometimes i write お instead of 御.
i also write 左様なら for さようなら. then again i also write 有難う for ありがとう。 mind you i have seen the kanji version for ありがとう used quite a bit on documents.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

03-11-2008, 05:04 PM

I haven't heard of おかけさまで、though I heard a lot of いやいや、so/a/koれはxxxxのかげです
Aww thanks for the expression

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#14 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
I think it is sad that more and more people are not writing some of these words and many others in kanji much anymore.

I write 御陰様で for おかげさまで, sometimes i write お instead of 御.
i also write 左様なら for さようなら. then again i also write 有難う for ありがとう。 mind you i have seen the kanji version for ありがとう used quite a bit on documents.
I type them, but I dont write them out. I use simplified chinese (though I can read traditional, but cant write them) but Japanese kanji are traditional T.T

美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#15 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-11-2008, 10:02 PM

yeah i wish the CCP hadn't created simplified characters. i've read studies that have shown that simplified doesn't help literacy rates when compared to traditional, which was the whole point of the CCP creating the system. I don't like that for speaking 普通话 i have to learn another character set. i means some of them are the same, some similar but some a quite different in their simplified form. eg. 乐
(#16 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
03-12-2008, 02:28 AM

ignore this - i posted without realising there was a 2nd page (what I said was covered) lol
(#17 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

03-12-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
yeah i wish the CCP hadn't created simplified characters. i've read studies that have shown that simplified doesn't help literacy rates when compared to traditional, which was the whole point of the CCP creating the system. I don't like that for speaking 普通话 i have to learn another character set. i means some of them are the same, some similar but some a quite different in their simplified form. eg. 乐
Yea, although you write a little fast with simplified. I guess every Chinese who is used to simplified could read traditional at least, but that's not the same for Hongkong, Taiwan, Japan, whose people are used to traditional but can't read simplified.

美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#18 (permalink))
Old
medfoe (Offline)
New to JF

Wait... - 03-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Isn't Japanese Kanji simplified?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfoe View Post
Isn't Japanese Kanji simplified?
"Simplified" is a term used in regards to Chinese. What do you mean by "simplified"? The term pretty specifically means "kanji changed by the Chinese government to improve literacy."

If you mean "is a modified form of a previous kanji," then yes, Japanese is simplified. But under this definition, 100% of kanji in use in any country are simplified. Even 日!

But more importantly, why the heck did you feel the need to post this question in a thread that hadn't been touched in two years?? That's generally considered poor netiquette.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Antich (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
But more importantly, why the heck did you feel the need to post this question in a thread that hadn't been touched in two years?? That's generally considered poor netiquette.
Yeah, try to get a reply in within a year of the last one. Bonus points for cutting it close to that one year mark.