JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   kanji for "Genki desu, okage sama de" (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/13214-kanji-%22genki-desu-okage-sama-de%22.html)

digyourownhole 03-09-2008 05:35 PM

kanji for "Genki desu, okage sama de"

Hi I am learning Japanese. Everything I learn I write down fonetically (i.e. as it sounds to me), in 'correct' Japanese, in Dutch (my own language) and in kanji.

I am having trouble finding a correct kanji translation on the internet for "okage sama de" as part of the sentence "Genki desu, okage sama de"

i got this far:
元気 です, ______

anybody that can fill in the blank?

Kind regards.

Daniel

Harold 03-09-2008 05:41 PM

You can just write it all in hiragana.

If you absolutely want the kanji, it's one of the following:

お陰さまで (おかげさまで) (exp) (I'm fine) thank you;
お陰様で (おかげさまで) (exp) (I'm fine) thank you;

Nagoyankee 03-09-2008 05:42 PM

That would be:

お陰様で

digyourownhole 03-09-2008 05:48 PM

thanks for the replies. I went to quickly in asuming i am writing kanji. I am using about.com for the symbols. Can't find what they use. Can anybody tell me what i am using by reading the translations below? (is it kanji, hiragana, ..)

ohayou gozaimasu おはよう ございます
ikaga desu ka いかが です か
Konichiwa こんにちは
Sayonara さよなら

kind regards, and again, thanks for the quick replies

Nagoyankee 03-09-2008 05:51 PM

Those four phrases are in hiragana, and 99% of the times they are written only in hiragana.

digyourownhole 03-09-2008 05:55 PM

thanks. i know where i got confused. I looked up hiragana on wikipedia.org. There it said that it is hiragana and katakana are both kana systems. Later i saw kanji on a google search result. Which made me think i missspelled kana.

So, hiragana it is.
I now see on wikipedia that katakana, hiragana, kanji and some others are all part of the japanese language. I will have to read up on that some more soon.

digyourownhole 03-09-2008 05:56 PM

ohyeah, what is "okage sama de" in hiragana?

Nagoyankee 03-09-2008 05:59 PM

That would be:

おかげさまで

digyourownhole 03-09-2008 06:20 PM

damn, sorry people, i need to be more clear the first time.

what are, and thanks for this, the individual words okage, sama, de in: おかげさまで

much appriciated. And i will make sure i am more clear the first time, else this is going to be a long thread.

Endar23 03-09-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digyourownhole (Post 422767)
Hi I am learning Japanese. Everything I learn I write down fonetically (i.e. as it sounds to me), in 'correct' Japanese, in Dutch (my own language) and in kanji.

I am having trouble finding a correct kanji translation on the internet for "okage sama de" as part of the sentence "Genki desu, okage sama de"

i got this far:
元気 です, ______

anybody that can fill in the blank?

Kind regards.

Daniel

元気 です, おかげ 様 で
there you go :)