Old
Kayame (Offline)
I is the Ebil Fuzzy BunnY

Send a message via AIM to Kayame
01-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
How much is ...? ...wa ikura desu ka?

Where can i find...? ...wa doko desu ka?

How long to... ? (time or place) ...donokuri desu ka?

Do you have..... ? ....arimasu ka?
From what I see, Japanese doesn't....use the same...words for english. Like you used desu ka many of times, but in english, I see no same word in each question. I dont understand that. does ka or desu ka means it is a question?

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
CrimsonNataku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayame View Post
From what I see, Japanese doesn't....use the same...words for english. Like you used desu ka many of times, but in english, I see no same word in each question. I dont understand that. does ka or desu ka means it is a question?
"Ka" is added to the end of a sentence to indicate that it is a question.

"Desu," is comparable to the english verb "to be" or "is"

In other words:

Where is the bathroom? - Toire wa doko desu ka.

Right now what time is it? - Ima wa nanji desu ka.

How much is this? - Kore wa ikura desu ka.

As you can see, "desu" is a verb used very often in Japanese.

"To teach is to learn." - Japanese Proverb
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)

01-02-2007, 09:58 PM

I see. Ok that kinda makes sence I guess. Thanks. I'll look over them again.

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Offline)
Tired Philosopher...

Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiAlchemistNinja
01-04-2007, 04:41 PM

There are some things that are the same as in English (structure wise) such as when describing something (unlike in spanish/french) the description comes first:
example: "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" meaning "this is a blue car" "aoi" meaning blue and "kuruma" meaning car.

It is also a good idea to learn particles and where they are used; it helps when speaking fluently to know how and which words to connect using which particles.

Also, it's good to know that when speaking Japanese, the "desu" usually is just pronounced as "des." It's useful to know that "des" and "desu" are exactly the same.

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....

Last edited by SamuraiAlchemistNinja : 01-10-2007 at 01:15 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
CrimsonNataku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-04-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja View Post
There are some things that are the same as in English (structure wise) such as when describing something (unlike in spanish/french) the description comes first:
example: "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" meaning "this blue car/ this is a blue car" "aoi" meaning blue and "kuruma" meaning car.

It is also a good idea to learn particles and where they are used; it helps when speaking fluently to know how and which words to connect using which particles.
That's a very good point, SamuraiAlchemistNinja, however, I would like to point out a minor thing, which is that "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" only means "This is a blue car."

"This blue car" would actually be "Kono aoi kuruma." "Kono" is similar to "Kore," they both mean "This." The only difference is that "Kore" is a noun, whereas "Kono" is an adjective and always modifies a noun.

Last edited by CrimsonNataku : 01-04-2007 at 04:47 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)

01-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Ok, very comfusing @.@. So...des and desu are the samething, but kore and kono are different because kore is a noun and kono is an adjective. Ok.......@.@

(#17 (permalink))
Old
CrimsonNataku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayame View Post
Ok, very comfusing @.@. So...des and desu are the samething, but kore and kono are different because kore is a noun and kono is an adjective. Ok.......@.@
There is only "desu." "Des" is incorrect, and a misspelling.

"Kore" is "This," as in "What is this?" (Kore wa nan desu ka)
"Kono" is "This" as in "What is this thing?" (Kono mono wa nan desu ka)

Unlike "kore," "kono" needs another noun because "kono" is actually an adjective. "Kore" is a noun and so therefore can be used on its own.

Does this help?

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Tired Philosopher...

01-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonNataku View Post
That's a very good point, SamuraiAlchemistNinja, however, I would like to point out a minor thing, which is that "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" only means "This is a blue car."

"This blue car" would actually be "Kono aoi kuruma." "Kono" is similar to "Kore," they both mean "This." The only difference is that "Kore" is a noun, whereas "Kono" is an adjective and always modifies a noun.
That's very true Kore is a noun, sometimes I forget But I've only been studying Japanese for a about two months. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I'm sure I would've caught it sooner or later, lol

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Tired Philosopher...

01-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonNataku View Post
There is only "desu." "Des" is incorrect, and a misspelling.
"des" is a misspelling, but it's only the WAY the Japanese say it most of the time. "Desu" is the proper word.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
CrimsonNataku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja View Post
"des" is a misspelling, but it's only the WAY the Japanese say it most of the time. "Desu" is the proper word.
Not neccessarily. I have talked and listened to several Japanese friends, and I've noticed that although it seems that they don't pronounce the "u" in "desu," they actually do, it's just not stressed very much.

Also, it's a good idea to get into the habit of remembering that there are no single consonants in the Japanese language except for "n." By doing this, it's a lot easier to transfer from romaji to hiragana.