JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   *Good Teacher* (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/1327-%2Agood-teacher%2A.html)

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 12-20-2006 03:15 PM

*Good Teacher*

No, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, cuz I'm probably not. But if anyone wants to learn Japanese I would love to teach them! See, I'm still learning a little...(I've been studying the language for almost two months now) and it'd be great to teach someone else! It would also help me as well to explain and teach to others.
I will make it very fun and interesting if anyone decides to come to this thread to learn! I promise!;)

rotangpass 12-20-2006 06:27 PM

hi - i am interested in learning japanese - so how can i start?

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 12-20-2006 11:55 PM

Well, rotangpass, where is it that you'd like to start? Like particles, verbs, basic nouns, sentence structure, etc?

Kuroneko 12-21-2006 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 16485)
No, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, cuz I'm probably not. But if anyone wants to learn Japanese I would love to teach them! See, I'm still learning a little...(I've been studying the language for almost two months now) and it'd be great to teach someone else! It would also help me as well to explain and teach to others.
I will make it very fun and interesting if anyone decides to come to this thread to learn! I promise!;)

Teaching is a great way to keep on leaning Japanese, I teach Japanese to my friends and I still have to keep up the studys.:p Ive been studding Japanese for 3-4 years now and still not perfect.

zantarvamp 12-21-2006 11:58 AM

I would also like to learn japanese, and I am a very good learner, and it will not take me long to get it! (hopefully:p )

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 12-21-2006 03:27 PM

Well I'm here to help in any way I can! :D Here, just for something to start with...

Watashi-polite form of "I" or "me"; both genders
Atashi- slightly less formal; females only
Boku-not really polite; males only

there are more but this is alright for now I guess:D

Kuroneko 12-21-2006 07:46 PM

俺は

I myself use 俺は (Ore wa) with my friends. Its kind of rude (to other people) but sounds cool.

Boku wa (僕は) is actually; more or less; polite, and as stated by SamuraiAlchemist-san, is used by males, generally 3-20 years old but not limited to 20. There is an exception to which some Japanese girls (tomboys) who say this as well.

Kuroneko 12-21-2006 08:04 PM

俺は

I myself use 俺は (Ore wa) with my friends. Its kind of rude (to other people) but sounds cool.

Boku wa (僕は) is actually; more or less; polite, and as stated by SamuraiAlchemist-san, is used by males, generally 3-20 years old but not limited to 20. There is an exception to which some Japanese girls (tomboys) who say this as well.

I don't know why, but there are two posts that are the same. :confused:

rotangpass 12-21-2006 11:03 PM

whatever you think is best - just teach me please, and preferably with structure - start with the foundations and then build it up - maybe numbers and simple phrases such as how much is ... where can i find.... how long to... do you have..... where can i find.... etc might be a logical starting point?

Kuroneko 12-21-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotangpass (Post 16825)
whatever you think is best - just teach me please, and preferably with structure - start with the foundations and then build it up - maybe numbers and simple phrases such as how much is ... where can i find.... how long to... do you have..... where can i find.... etc might be a logical starting point?

How much is ...? ...wa ikura desu ka?

Where can i find...? ...wa doko desu ka?

How long to... ? (time or place) ...donokuri desu ka?

Do you have..... ? ....arimasu ka?

Kayame 01-02-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroneko (Post 16834)

From what I see, Japanese doesn't....use the same...words for english. Like you used desu ka many of times, but in english, I see no same word in each question. I dont understand that. does ka or desu ka means it is a question?

CrimsonNataku 01-02-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayame (Post 18832)
From what I see, Japanese doesn't....use the same...words for english. Like you used desu ka many of times, but in english, I see no same word in each question. I dont understand that. does ka or desu ka means it is a question?

"Ka" is added to the end of a sentence to indicate that it is a question.

"Desu," is comparable to the english verb "to be" or "is"

In other words:

Where is the bathroom? - Toire wa doko desu ka.

Right now what time is it? - Ima wa nanji desu ka.

How much is this? - Kore wa ikura desu ka.

As you can see, "desu" is a verb used very often in Japanese.

Kayame 01-02-2007 09:58 PM

I see. Ok that kinda makes sence I guess. Thanks. I'll look over them again.

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-04-2007 04:41 PM

There are some things that are the same as in English (structure wise) such as when describing something (unlike in spanish/french) the description comes first:
example: "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" meaning "this is a blue car" "aoi" meaning blue and "kuruma" meaning car.

It is also a good idea to learn particles and where they are used; it helps when speaking fluently to know how and which words to connect using which particles.

Also, it's good to know that when speaking Japanese, the "desu" usually is just pronounced as "des." It's useful to know that "des" and "desu" are exactly the same.

CrimsonNataku 01-04-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 19530)
There are some things that are the same as in English (structure wise) such as when describing something (unlike in spanish/french) the description comes first:
example: "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" meaning "this blue car/ this is a blue car" "aoi" meaning blue and "kuruma" meaning car.

It is also a good idea to learn particles and where they are used; it helps when speaking fluently to know how and which words to connect using which particles.

That's a very good point, SamuraiAlchemistNinja, however, I would like to point out a minor thing, which is that "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" only means "This is a blue car."

"This blue car" would actually be "Kono aoi kuruma." "Kono" is similar to "Kore," they both mean "This." The only difference is that "Kore" is a noun, whereas "Kono" is an adjective and always modifies a noun.

Kayame 01-04-2007 08:20 PM

Ok, very comfusing @.@. So...des and desu are the samething, but kore and kono are different because kore is a noun and kono is an adjective. Ok.......@.@ :confused:

CrimsonNataku 01-04-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayame (Post 19698)
Ok, very comfusing @.@. So...des and desu are the samething, but kore and kono are different because kore is a noun and kono is an adjective. Ok.......@.@ :confused:

There is only "desu." "Des" is incorrect, and a misspelling.

"Kore" is "This," as in "What is this?" (Kore wa nan desu ka)
"Kono" is "This" as in "What is this thing?" (Kono mono wa nan desu ka)

Unlike "kore," "kono" needs another noun because "kono" is actually an adjective. "Kore" is a noun and so therefore can be used on its own.

Does this help?

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-05-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonNataku (Post 19531)
That's a very good point, SamuraiAlchemistNinja, however, I would like to point out a minor thing, which is that "Kore wa aoi kuruma desu" only means "This is a blue car."

"This blue car" would actually be "Kono aoi kuruma." "Kono" is similar to "Kore," they both mean "This." The only difference is that "Kore" is a noun, whereas "Kono" is an adjective and always modifies a noun.

That's very true :) Kore is a noun, sometimes I forget :o But I've only been studying Japanese for a about two months. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I'm sure I would've caught it sooner or later, lol

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-05-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonNataku (Post 19702)
There is only "desu." "Des" is incorrect, and a misspelling.

"des" is a misspelling, but it's only the WAY the Japanese say it most of the time. "Desu" is the proper word.

CrimsonNataku 01-05-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 19854)
"des" is a misspelling, but it's only the WAY the Japanese say it most of the time. "Desu" is the proper word.

Not neccessarily. I have talked and listened to several Japanese friends, and I've noticed that although it seems that they don't pronounce the "u" in "desu," they actually do, it's just not stressed very much.

Also, it's a good idea to get into the habit of remembering that there are no single consonants in the Japanese language except for "n." By doing this, it's a lot easier to transfer from romaji to hiragana.

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-05-2007 04:40 PM

Very true. I've been doin Hiragana for about two weeks...okay, well, here's Sore/sono, are/ano and dore/dono:

Sono/Sore- that (over there.) The object is further from, but not by much.
Ano/Are- that (way over there.) The object is much further from you than when using "sono" or "sore."
Dono/Dore- which (usually of three or more items) Like, "Which is blue?" (Dore ga aoi desu ka?)

lady_kyoko 01-05-2007 07:07 PM

Hmm...well, i haven't learned all the particles in the language, so it would be nice if you could list them along with what meaning they have ^^.

CrimsonNataku 01-05-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 19877)
Very true. I've been doin Hiragana for about two weeks...okay, well, here's Sore/sono, are/ano and dore/dono:

Sono/Sore- that (over there.) The object is further from, but not by much.
Ano/Are- that (way over there.) The object is much further from you than when using "sono" or "sore."
Dono/Dore- which (usually of three or more items) Like, "Which is blue?" (Dore ga aoi desu ka?)

Also, "sono/sore" is used when the object being described is close to the listener, "kono/kore" is used when the object being described is close to the speaker, and "ano/are" is used when the object being described is far from both the speaker and the listener.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady_kyoko
Hmm...well, i haven't learned all the particles in the language, so it would be nice if you could list them along with what meaning they have ^^.

...There are over 70 particles...^_^; I don't think it would be possible to list them all.

lady_kyoko 01-05-2007 07:51 PM

Lol, wow, okay then ^^;;;

Then i'd just like to ask what the 'ni' particle means ^^.

CrimsonNataku 01-07-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady_kyoko (Post 19914)
Lol, wow, okay then ^^;;;

Then i'd just like to ask what the 'ni' particle means ^^.

In what context? Could you give a particular sentence? There are multiple "ni" particles that are used for different things, so...

DarkLuminosity 01-07-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 19854)

yeah that's the way they say it. Because *u* at the end of a word, if there's a *K* or a *S*just before, you don't need to pronouce it.
Like in Arigato Gosaimasu, most of people don't pronouce the U at the end

DarkLuminosity 01-07-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayame (Post 18832)

I guess you got problem because the structure and the grammar is so different of ours.
Desu ka could be understood by *it is* but it is not exacly what it means...It's used to perform the verb *to be*
Nan desu ka - What it is/what is it
Dare Desu ka - Who is it
Kyoko desu - I'm Kyoko

I don't know if it's clear... sorry if I can't help more then this ...

jinnkitten 01-08-2007 11:52 AM

wOOt Japanese studies... *sits in bench* Teach me oh great sensei how to say:

If you don't get your ass out of my face i will kick you until you will squirm in blood you evil nOOb of the stupidist evilish bloodsucking computerprogram....:D

Well something like that then :D ... and how to talk normal and so on:D
great

ARIGATO :ywave:

Ayame90 01-08-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroneko (Post 16834)

Hey there, i'd like to learn Japanese. But i'm not really sure bout' it cause i'm learning Spanish.I'm in my 2nd year.

Kuroneko 01-08-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayame90 (Post 20769)
Hey there, i'd like to learn Japanese. But i'm not really sure bout' it cause i'm learning Spanish.I'm in my 2nd year.

Any thing is possible if you try. In Japanese if the verb understood you do not need a subject or noun (E.g. I am going = ikimasu) Further more In English (as well as Spanish I believe) "a verb must agree with its subject."

here is an example using "go" as the verb.

In English
Quote:

Person----Singlular ---- Plural

First------- I go------- we go

Second----you go ---- you go

Third -- he/she/it goes--they go

In Japanese

Person -----Singluar----Plural

First------Ikimasu------Ikimasu

Second-- Ikimasu -----Ikimasu

Third---- Ikimasu ----- Ikimasu
Info Provided by "Barron's Japanese Grammar Second Edition"

I hope that makes sense.

Kuroneko 01-09-2007 01:52 AM

I hope that makes sense.

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-10-2007 01:16 PM

Okay...so what else do you want to know?

Ayame90 01-10-2007 01:53 PM

Well, i already knew ikimasu. I know some Japanese words but not enough to claim i speak it.Get what i'm saying.

CrimsonNataku 01-10-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayame90 (Post 21371)
Well, i already knew ikimasu. I know some Japanese words but not enough to claim i speak it.Get what i'm saying.

So, basically you're interested in increasing your vocabulary? If so, what kinds of vocabulary (verbs, adjectives, nouns, words related to school, words related to work, words related to hobbies/activities...).

Ayame90 01-12-2007 05:13 PM

Yeah, things related to school, work and other interests.I know more than just that word mainly because i read Manga and other Japanese published books and things.

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 01-16-2007 04:33 PM

So words such as book? (hon) Or close? (shime)
Well here's "please close that book":
"Sore wa shimasu hon kudasai"
...But that looks wrong to me somehow...

Ayame90 01-16-2007 05:17 PM

Okay,i can start on here everday while i'm at school.

CrimsonNataku 01-16-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Post 24106)
So words such as book? (hon) Or close? (shime)
Well here's "please close that book":
"Sore wa shimasu hon kudasai"
...But that looks wrong to me somehow...

It's actually:

"Sono hon o shimatte kudasai."

Ayame90 01-23-2007 01:55 PM

Hey, ur confusing me.

NanteNa 01-23-2007 03:09 PM

Yey! So you guys can like, teach me japanese in here? ^__^