JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Christene (Offline)
New to JF

Not a Jerk..... - 02-17-2011, 04:28 AM

LOL... Right on!

Yes, I am a 35-yr-old (Old Lady)! It's all good! I think we both have the same witty intellect, and can hold our own! Join forces and conquer! :giggles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me.jpg (18.8 KB, 20 views)

Many Blessings,
Christene (Chrissy)

Last edited by Christene : 02-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
nicknackthumbtack (Offline)
New to JF

Still questioning "mishi mishi" - 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd try anyways.

I don't speak Japanese but my students love to interject it into their everyday speech. I'm an English teacher in China, many of my students know a good deal of Japanese.

I have a group of boys that have used "mishi mishi" a couple of times and I'm curious if perhaps there are other meanings associated with it.

I hear things like "Do you and your boyfriend mishi mishi every night?" or when I ask them about sports: "I play mishi mishi"

If they are truly saying "meshi meshi," "eat" then it doesn't concern me, but why talk about eating so much? And why not use Chinese if they don't know the English? And why is this phrase always accompanied by a fit of giggles?

Anyways, I'd appreciate the help if anyone's still out there.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknackthumbtack View Post
"Do you and your boyfriend mishi mishi every night?"

If they are truly saying "meshi meshi," "eat" then it doesn't concern me, but why talk about eating so much?

And why is this phrase always accompanied by a fit of giggles?
I don't know where you're from, but I'd say a nontrivial number of American children know of at least one linguistic connection between "eating" and sex by the time they enter high school.

I'm really surprised to hear someone who is an English teacher not immediately think of this same thing when questioning why someone giggles at "do you and your boyfriend eat every night?"

I'm not making any comment about the "Japanese" though. みしみし strikes me as pretty meaningless. American kids obsessed with anime do the exact same thing (spout gibberish as if it meant something). I'd suspect there are a lot of Chinese kids who might do this, too.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 10-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.