JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Text Conversion - 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Hey there. I'm having trouble with viewing Japanese text or any foreign text, but only when it comes to e-mail. When I had AOHell, up until a couple of years ago, I never had the problem of my e-mails showing foreign text of any kind, but with Comcast, I have no idea what I should possibly do. Does anyone else have this problem?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-04-2008, 06:33 AM

i assume the problem is encoding and is a common problem with reading foreign language emails. The problem is if someone writes their email EUC encoding for Japanese, if you are viewing your browser in Unicode (as i do) or Western it will come out as rubbish. there are several different encodings for Japanese and if your browsing is trying to read it as Unicode when it is in fact EUC it won't work. i don't use windows but in safari you go to View->Text Encoding and select something there. I'm 100% positive these options exist in firefox and IE so look in the menus and then try each encoding to see which one works. I found i would get a few emails from Japanese in EUC encoding.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Wow, thanks! That helped a lot. I use Firefox and there's an "auto detection" option, so I chose it for Japanese and the e-mail isn't showing gibberish anymore....just a bunch of Kanji I can't read. lol

Now if I could only send e-mails with Japanese text in it, without the readers getting confused by it since it looks like gibberish to them.

I think I know what to do though, if that comes up again. I guess I'll have to copy as EUC, or whatever.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-04-2008, 08:02 AM

if you are typing an email, you first need to see what encoding the person has used in their previous email. the auto-detect won't show you this so play around with each of the different Japanese encodings until you find the right one. then make sure when you are typing it is in the same encoding. it should then come out just fine on their end.