JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
xnamelessx (Offline)
Fashion is what u make it

Send a message via ICQ to xnamelessx Send a message via AIM to xnamelessx Send a message via MSN to xnamelessx Send a message via Yahoo to xnamelessx Send a message via Skype™ to xnamelessx
Thumbs up 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakashael View Post
I've been studying japanese for about two years. I can write and read both katakana and hiragana. I am still working on kanji. There are some helpful sites that are free to use:

byki.com
japanesepod101.com
and
englishjapaneseonlinedictionary.com

I can help you out too, anytime you need help with katakana and hiragana I can teach you. The hardest part is word association; what I mean by that is looking at the characters and knowing what word it is in english.
I hope that helps, good luck.

Sincerely,
Rakashael
japanese pod 101 are good! you can download their free podcast on itunes and if you have a nokia n95.

xNaMeLeSsX
aka
SaChIkO
aka
Sarah Cheeks/San

♀ ♀ SaCh Pwoductions♀ ♀

Member of the infamous
Lolita Clan

___________________________________________________________________________ ____________

And the Pucca Clan Leader
(#32 (permalink))
Old
rakashael (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamelessx View Post
japanese pod 101 are good! you can download their free podcast on itunes and if you have a nokia n95.
Yep, that is true. Also I've found that romajiquest.com is an RPG that teaches Japanese. It is kind of lame but actually really works. Though to get the full version it costs about $11.00US to get it. I haven't gotten the full version yet, but I will soon. It is helpful and pretty amusing.

Raka

Miserability is a figment imagination. Pain is the whole concept of our minds because it makes us question it's reality.

~Rakashael
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Nisseki (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2008, 01:26 AM

what ive found is really good is tapeing the list of symbols you want to learn (and other info) around the house so you cant escape them and after waking up with a big in my face and looking in the mirrior to fid it in my sleepy face again and etc. maybe when school starts again have a new symbol every day and write it in between classes in your locker!
this works for me! (yes it drives my parents crazy!)

Friendship is like peeing everyone can see it, only you can feel the warmth it brings.
(But you still shouldnt pee yourself.)
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Nisseki (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
there was this really great verbs dictionary for 30$
and a kanji dictionary for 60$
i dunno about asking for all of that but i think they might be extremely useful if not nessary for my learning abilites.

Does anyone agree with me?
Would you get the verb or kanji dictionary?(I already have a regular one and these are extremely detailed about what theyre talking about.)
And rosetta stone whaddya think of that program?
plz anser it would mean a whole lot. ^_^

Friendship is like peeing everyone can see it, only you can feel the warmth it brings.
(But you still shouldnt pee yourself.)
(#35 (permalink))
Old
rakashael (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisseki View Post
plz anser it would mean a whole lot. ^_^
I haven't tried either of them and cant really afford it. Though I did get a japanese/english dictionary for about... $10.00US. I would try it first then if I liked it I would get it in full.

Sincerely,
Rakashael

Miserability is a figment imagination. Pain is the whole concept of our minds because it makes us question it's reality.

~Rakashael
(#36 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Some "must-have" programs and sites.

NJStar Word Processor - very good word processor with a kanji dictionary inside. Very good program, only drawback is way too expensive (if not wrong around 200 US$).
NJCommunicator - Good IME program, to write kana and kanji. It is very similar to the one provided by microsoft so I wouldn't spend the money (if this one is very expensive).
Readwrite Kanji - Don't remember the price, but you can download it online for free as evaluation with a limit of 10 or 50 kanji. Full version contains all 1945 basic kanji. Allows you to build your own list (as in you decide what kanji to work with and adding them when you are ready to go on) and offers exercises with the kanji in the list. Amongst the exercise there are multiple choice question about the meaning of kanji, ON reading and KUN reading, the radical of the kanji, the order of strokes and more.
Wakan - Completely free program. Dictionary of kanji (for Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages) with example phrases. The Japanese dictionary contains over 6,000 kanji.

Grammar site:
guidetoJapanese I can say one of the most complete grammar online. I like it above all coz reduces to a very minimum (almost nothing) the use of romaji. Getting used to learning with romaji in my opinion slows down a lot the learning process.
Japanese-Online.com Another very good grammar online which provides also written dialogues as examples, much better than a single phrase.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by chryuop : 07-27-2008 at 01:08 PM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2008, 01:37 PM

I think people have to focus on using the language as much as possible. A good solid learning programme is best to follow with lots of practise be that on the net or in person.

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Actually I think a program is good as refreshing something or studying new grammar. For the rest turn off the computer and use pen and paper. Have a page of newspaper or something written in Japanese, a dictionary, paper and pen and start working.
Typing won't bring you far at all in studying.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Icenite (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Icenite Send a message via Yahoo to Icenite
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM

I am learning Japanese too right now. I learning all the Harakana rite now. It is lot of fun. I have pick up a few words here and there by watching J-drama and anime. But anything you want to share be sweet.

can e-mail me at [email protected] or you can PM me here.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenite View Post
I am learning Japanese too right now. I learning all the Harakana rite now. It is lot of fun. I have pick up a few words here and there by watching J-drama and anime. But anything you want to share be sweet.

can e-mail me at [email protected] or you can PM me here.
Hi Icenite,

Good luck with learning Japanese. I have studied it and use it daily. It can be easy to use as a basic language but gets more difficult when trying to express oneself.

Watching Japanese dramas is good for learning the intonation and expressions that people use. Childrens anime is good for learning adjectives and vocabulary etc. But you need to learn from a solid programme be that computer based, book and cd based to know what you are watching on TV.

Learning the different verb forms is quite essential for meaning other thatn the verb meaning. The longer you study the more you realise what I mean.

It's hiragana and katakana by the way.

Enjoy!

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.