JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MrDrEsq (Offline)
JF Regular

GRAD Schools - 06-30-2008, 10:38 PM

looking for a school that has a reputation for a good master of Japanese programme.
neither the internet nor my advisers are being very helpful otherwise on the subject
(#2 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

06-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrEsq View Post
looking for a school that has a reputation for a good master of Japanese programme.
neither the internet nor my advisers are being very helpful otherwise on the subject
You have advisors? :O
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-01-2008, 04:54 AM

What country, specifically?

If you're in the United States, the University of Wisconsin-Madison has a very strong Japanese program (Graduate, as well as Doctoral). I've also heard that San Francisco State University and the University of Colorado-Boulder have good graduate programs in Japanese, as well. I'm not a graduate student, but I've worked with several of the Japanese program faculty from UW-Madison, and they have been great to work with.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MrDrEsq (Offline)
JF Regular

07-02-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
What country, specifically?

If you're in the United States, the University of Wisconsin-Madison has a very strong Japanese program (Graduate, as well as Doctoral). I've also heard that San Francisco State University and the University of Colorado-Boulder have good graduate programs in Japanese, as well. I'm not a graduate student, but I've worked with several of the Japanese program faculty from UW-Madison, and they have been great to work with.
USA is fine, so is England and Australia. Japan is of course fine...but, i don't really trust Japanese higher education.

what program are you in currently?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
lothia (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2008, 02:12 AM

A large portion of schools go up to a BA in a language. At that time you have learned 4 years and usually the last year is quite advanced and you are usually able to read at highschool-college level. I am not sure why you would want a masters or a PhD in a language because you do not gain much, you can get a job at the UN with just a BA in a language (masters in a main degree).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MrDrEsq (Offline)
JF Regular

07-03-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothia View Post
A large portion of schools go up to a BA in a language. At that time you have learned 4 years and usually the last year is quite advanced and you are usually able to read at highschool-college level. I am not sure why you would want a masters or a PhD in a language because you do not gain much, you can get a job at the UN with just a BA in a language (masters in a main degree).
you're going to have to explain that one please
(#7 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM

I think Lothia is trying to say that if you major in something other than the language for your BA, you need a Masters degree in that language to get a job like working at the UN.

I took 4 years of undergrad Japanese though and I'm definitely not up to the level Lothia says one should be. We focused more on speaking than writing though, which I think is more practical anyway... My point is that even if you take 4 years of college level Japanese, you aren't necessarily at the level you might want to achieve. That being the case, it is reasonable to pursue a grad school with a good language program.