JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
saruwatarikumiko (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to saruwatarikumiko
Konnichiwa minna - 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Konnichiwa minna ^-^ Moniku desu. I am in need of some help with my Japanese. I can read Hiragana and Katakana, and some Kanji, but I have a hard time making sentences. I have been studying with a native speaker Nihongo go oshiete kudasaimasen. I want to go to Japan!! Watashi wa Nihon de ikimasu. Watashi wa Nihongo de hanshimasu. Nihongo ga sukoshi hanashimasu. Nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu, demo I am still learning. Please help me with my Japanese

Domo Arigatou gozaimasu
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-08-2008, 01:16 AM

Having seen those few sentences above, I can say right away that you would need to work on your particles. I know they are difficult but you will always sound like a first-year student without using particles properly. It doesn't matter how many big and sophisticated words you put into your writing (or speech). I dare say that particles in Japanese are as important as word order in English.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2008, 10:18 AM

I agree with Nagoyankee, but I'd also like to say, you're Japanese seems to be good enough to pick up some pen-friends/email friends. Doing so will let you you increase your vocab a lot. The more pen friends, the quicker you learn.

You've not really said much about in what way you need help.. It's hard to tell how much vocabulary you know, how much grammar etc. Or whether you need a tutor.

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NTREEG (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2008, 11:28 AM

I would recommend picking up a really good grammar book. Text books like Japanese for Busy People and Genki do ok, but I found the book my language school uses had much clearer explanations and examples. The ones I used were "Shin Nihongo No Kiso I - Grammatical Notes In English" and ""Shin Nihongo No Kiso II - Grammatical Notes In English".
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Samuraizr0 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Samuraizr0 Send a message via MSN to Samuraizr0 Send a message via Yahoo to Samuraizr0 Send a message via Skype™ to Samuraizr0
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM

I agree with the others any laguage is going to be a bit difficult to learn and I commend you for keeping with it but grammar is the root of a language and it will help tremedously. I think you have the right concept of making sentences. If the subject is yourself then you don't need to specify "watashi" in every sentence, unless you change topics. If the subject and topic are both known to the listener then you can just continue your sentence.

E.G.
I like music
I like books
I like swimming

Watashi ga ongaku(music) to (particle used in this case for with or and in this case) yon (Book(s) )mo (also)oyoideiru(informal continuing version of the word swim A.K.A. swimiming).

so there you combine all the things you like to do in one sentence.I hope I've helped as well and anyone please feel free to correct me if what I've said is incorrect.

-Samurai

Umm.. couldn't think of anything clever.. so I'll leave that to you!!

Last edited by Samuraizr0 : 07-11-2008 at 01:51 PM.