JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Learning Basic Japanese and typing Japanese (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/18440-learning-basic-japanese-typing-japanese.html)

MazarDantechildofdevil 08-21-2008 10:32 PM

Learning Basic Japanese and typing Japanese

Alright, so I've always meant to learn Japanese but until I got this new girlfriend who is like obsessed with Asian culture and is already learning Japanese and at a fast paced rate, I really need to learn some. My goal is to learn basic Japanese for now like to be able to survive if I moved to Japan and stuff, basically as if you were teaching a Foreign Language class at a school. So can everyone help me?

Also I want to be able to type Japanese on the keyboard and basically learning Japanese would mean that I need to know the different types of Japanese writing and stuff and the differences and things. Also you'd have to teach me what keys on English keyboards make for Japanese symbols (or Kanji's not sure whether I should call them that?) so please help me. Thanks!

nijiro 08-26-2008 01:32 AM

Go out and buy a Beginner's Japanese language book. Your girlfriend will think it's sweet and it will help you a lot more than anyone on here can. You can get a nice one like Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese for about ten bucks. There are also a few cool sites that could be helpful, for example, YesJapan, but they charge you monthly to use their lessons (they're really good though!). Don't trust another person to teach you from the ground up unless they are an actual Japanese professor. Books, books, books! Programs are alright, but I have yet to find a really good, comprehensive one (besides Rosetta Stone which is hundreds of dollars).

As for typing, you need to have a certain program installed in order to type Japanese characters. If you're using Windows, that means you need Microsoft IME. Vista comes pre-packaged with it, but if you have an older operating system, you'll have to Google it to find out where to download the program and how to install it properly.
But for your purposes, you can generally be understood by typing in Romaji or romanized Japanese. (for example, watashi wa igirisujin desu "I'm British") I'd say do some studying before you start trying to type in Japanese... after all, if you can't read it, how can you write it?

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be glad to help.

Ganbatte - Good luck!

imiss 08-26-2008 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nijiro (Post 569900)
...If you're using Windows...

...if you're using a Mac, everything works outta the box no matter what language ;)

ミハイル

nijiro 08-26-2008 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imiss (Post 569914)
...if you're using a Mac, everything works outta the box no matter what language ;)

Aha, well I didn't know, being a Windows user. Thanks for adding that. ^^

kaelazors 08-26-2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imiss (Post 569914)

ミハイル

and that's why i <3 my macbook XD

@mazar: the textbook that i'm using at my school, and i have friends at other schools using it too, is pretty good: genki by japan times

MazarDantechildofdevil 08-26-2008 10:42 AM

I feel really helped, thanks. =D I will buy some books and such.