JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
10-08-2008, 11:40 PM

I'm sorry, multiple "HA" is not grammer issue.

>私はイタリア語は話し ます。

This is not wrong. And also most of native Japanese will accept it in a talk.
But in written form, it seems strange. Native Japanese will omit "私は" here because you alerady indicate the main theme in the first sentense.

multiple "HA" in a sentense is not an issue of grammer but they will make confusion because the listener can not find main topic when complicated expression follows after multiple "HA".

I always check my writing to avoid multiple "HA" in a sentense. In this case, I would write, (assuming you only speak Italian)

私は日本語を話しません。イタリア語だけです。

In your example, I wonder why you focused on Italian in your second sentense and will ask "How about English or other languages?".

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2008, 12:46 AM

Keaton421: Grammar is my absolute worst subject, and yet I need to use my grammar knowledge to ask questions about Japanese grammar. That's... bad. XD But it works out, a little.

Etou.... watashi wa terebi MO suki desu? 8D But that's assuming that the 'also' in "I also like television" refers to television. If the 'also' refers to 'I' as in "me, too!" then it would be watashi MO terebi o suki desu. So the placement of the mo would slightly change the meaning of the sentence.

...Right? XDDD;;

RadioKid: Domo arigatou gozaimasu! m(_ _)m In the example you gave about ordering food (watashi wa unagi da), you would use it after someone asked you what you will order? I think I kind of get it... is it because unlike English, where you need to state specific things, in Japanese as long as the subject is known the subject can be omitted? Therefore in that situation "watashi wa unagi da" can be used without causing a misunderstanding?

And to anyone who can answer: I'm going off in a tangent here, but one thing that keeps on bugging me is the use of 'da'. I'm pretty sure it's similar, if not identical, to the usage of 'da' in Korean, but I wanted to confirm if 'da' is an informal form of 'desu'?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsu View Post
And to anyone who can answer: I'm going off in a tangent here, but one thing that keeps on bugging me is the use of 'da'. I'm pretty sure it's similar, if not identical, to the usage of 'da' in Korean, but I wanted to confirm if 'da' is an informal form of 'desu'?
Yes. desu = da.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyafriend View Post
Yes. desu = da.
Arigatou, enyafriend! *^__^*
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

10-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Yonsu-san,

In general, Japanese people share the common theme of the comversation and hate to switch the theme suddenly. If someone open other theme than pther people share, he/she would be called "KY" (Kuuki Yomenai Yatsu: Guy who can not read atmosphere).

I do not think it is good custom of Japanese. But we tend to have such behavior.

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsu View Post
Keaton421: Grammar is my absolute worst subject, and yet I need to use my grammar knowledge to ask questions about Japanese grammar. That's... bad. XD But it works out, a little.

Etou.... watashi wa terebi MO suki desu? 8D But that's assuming that the 'also' in "I also like television" refers to television. If the 'also' refers to 'I' as in "me, too!" then it would be watashi MO terebi o suki desu. So the placement of the mo would slightly change the meaning of the sentence.

...Right? XDDD;;
Heheh, well whatever works for you. I struggled like hell in English class with those terms, so I couldn't imagine using it for another language.

Hey man, very close. In English we mostly say "I like it too" but in Japanese it's closer to "I, too, like it", so it would be Watashi mo

And yeah, Da is short for Desu. You'll learn about short forms soon enough, it can be a pain in the ass
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-10-2008, 10:52 PM

RadioKid: Ahhh~~ That's interesting. XD

Keaton421: Hahaha, just have to keep plowing on through grammar. X_X Thank you for the clarification! ^_________^ Are shorter forms generally more informal?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Yep, that's right, with friends, siblings, cousins, and people close to your age or younger you'd be leaving out the Wa often and using short forms.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

10-11-2008, 12:09 AM

"DA" has the same meaning as "DESU" and you can use "DA" whenever you can use "DESU" in terms of grammer.

However, "DA" has not the politeness which "DESU" brings. Please be careful to use "DA" when you are talking with people you respect(or people who expect you will take respect to him).

I hardly use "DA" in main sentense in talking. As "DA" is too strong and forces opinion to the listener, I often use "DAYO" or "DANE" instead of "DA" to soften it.

RK

... and
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-12-2008, 03:52 AM

RadioKid: Ohh. ^^ I'm sorry if this is a vague example, but if I wanted to say "kawaii desu" in an informal way, instead of saying "kawaii DA" it would be better to say "kawaii DA NE"? Does NE usually mean something like "isn't it?"

Hahaha, I'm sorry everyone about my incessant questions! XD;; sumimasennnnn =A=;;;