LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
aiyumecool559 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsu View Post
RadioKid: Ohh. ^^ I'm sorry if this is a vague example, but if I wanted to say "kawaii desu" in an informal way, instead of saying "kawaii DA" it would be better to say "kawaii DA NE"? Does NE usually mean something like "isn't it?"

Hahaha, I'm sorry everyone about my incessant questions! XD;; sumimasennnnn =A=;;;
You want to say kawaii? M aybe, kawaii ne. Or for you, ka waii dayo O.K. But all is  understand and make sens e.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
"DA" has the same meaning as "DESU" and you can use "DA" whenever you can use "DESU" in terms of grammer.

RK
So the phrases
この時計は高いだ and この時計は高いだか
are both grammatically correct? It means when they say I adjective won't go with da and da is not used with ka for questions is just a matter of form and not grammar?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsu View Post
RadioKid: Ohh. ^^ I'm sorry if this is a vague example, but if I wanted to say "kawaii desu" in an informal way, instead of saying "kawaii DA" it would be better to say "kawaii DA NE"? Does NE usually mean something like "isn't it?"

Hahaha, I'm sorry everyone about my incessant questions! XD;; sumimasennnnn =A=;;;
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
So the phrases
この時計は高いだ and この時計は高いだか
are both grammatically correct? It means when they say I adjective won't go with da and da is not used with ka for questions is just a matter of form and not grammar?
No.

この時計は高いだ and

この時計は高いだか

is never said. Never use だ with adjectives that end in ~い
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
10-13-2008, 12:49 AM

Yonsu-san, Chryuop-san,

Sorry, my checking was too loose. "KAWAII DA" or "TAKAI DA" would not be used usually.

However, I also will not use "TAKAI DESU" or "KAWAII DESU" because "TAKAI" and "KAWAII" are to be finish form or followed by noun. I hesitate to use "KAWAII DESU" or "TAKAI DESU" because "DESU" sounds unnaturally added to already completed sentense to give polite form in these cases.

On the other hand, it sound natural to say "KAWAII DESU NE" or "TAKAI DESU NE". hmmm, it is dificult to find generarl rules.

"NE" is used to ask listener (somtime including talker himself) to agree. "NE!" alone often used as "DO you agree?". (Sorry, I did not check all cases)

Thank you for your pointing out.

RK

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2008, 01:09 AM

かわいいだ or 高いだ would never be said or used. It is incorrect. だ never follows a ~い adjective.

かわいいです or 高いです are perfectly normal, everyday sentences. Just like in English, adjectives can come before nouns [ それは高い車です。] or stand alone. [ その車は高いです。]

かわいいですね。 and 高いですね are also good sentences looking for agreement from the listener. The speaker assumes the listener knows the information already.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-13-2008, 01:10 AM

Thank you for the clarification, MMM-san and RadioKid-san! <33 I am indebted to all of you.