JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

Help with ni/de/he and wa/ga? - 10-06-2008, 05:12 AM

I sincerely apologize. I have gone through the forum and other sites as well to see if I can have the particles clarified, but I'm still utterly lost. I understand that ni, de, and he is used to denote locations, but what are the ways in which they are used? And for ni/he, does it matter which one is used in examples like "doshokan ni/he ikimasu"?

Also, taking this sentence as an example:
Tsukue no ue ni neko ga imasu.

Would tsukue be the subject and neko the direct object? Ga is only used for direct objects, is that correct? Thus, would "watashi wa ramen ga tsuki desu" be correct?

And if this is possible, if there are any koreans out in JF, would anyone mind verifying if my 'translation' of Japanese particles in Korean particles is correct?

가 = ga
는 = wa
입니다 = desu
를 = wo
에 = ni
에서/까지 = kara/made
로 = he/de
이(거)/저(거)/저~~(거) = ko(re)/so(re)/a(re)

I realize that I've pretty much barraged you guys with questions, hahha... ^^;;; I apologize, but I'm confounded by all this. I feel like the moment I have the grammar structure down pat, it rears up and knocks me over the head. Y_Y

Japanese is truly a challenge to learn. XD Not only is the kana difficult to memorize at first, but the grammar is backwards of English, and kanji is indomitable. Taihen desu ne!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2008, 06:33 AM

You're doing great so far, and your 'ramen' sentence structure is also correct.

Japanese may be the opposite of English, but assuming that you're Korean, then it would be fairly easy for you. I have many Korean friends and they often tells me that the Korean grammar is almost the same as Japanese.

Ultimately, I guess it all depends on the individual.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#3 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsu View Post
I sincerely apologize. I have gone through the forum and other sites as well to see if I can have the particles clarified, but I'm still utterly lost. I understand that ni, de, and he is used to denote locations, but what are the ways in which they are used? And for ni/he, does it matter which one is used in examples like "doshokan ni/he ikimasu"?

Also, taking this sentence as an example:
Tsukue no ue ni neko ga imasu.

Would tsukue be the subject and neko the direct object? Ga is only used for direct objects, is that correct? Thus, would "watashi wa ramen ga tsuki desu" be correct?

And if this is possible, if there are any koreans out in JF, would anyone mind verifying if my 'translation' of Japanese particles in Korean particles is correct?

가 = ga
는 = wa
입니다 = desu
를 = wo
에 = ni
에서/까지 = kara/made
로 = he/de
이(거)/저(거)/저~~(거) = ko(re)/so(re)/a(re)

I realize that I've pretty much barraged you guys with questions, hahha... ^^;;; I apologize, but I'm confounded by all this. I feel like the moment I have the grammar structure down pat, it rears up and knocks me over the head. Y_Y

Japanese is truly a challenge to learn. XD Not only is the kana difficult to memorize at first, but the grammar is backwards of English, and kanji is indomitable. Taihen desu ne!
This can be tough to grasp, and honestly for me, a lot of it was just hearing it enough times, and eventually certain things just sound naturally right and wrong. For the first example (btw, it's toshokan), either of the two could be suitable for that sentence. I like to say that 'he' (pronounced 'e' when used as a particle), is an equivalent of something 'in the direction of', or 'to'. That's not absolute, it's just how I see them.

You are right in that wa is used for the subject, and ga is for the direct object. (just remember the word you want for that sentence is 'suki', tsuki means 'moon')

'De' is the 'by means of' particle, such as in 'densha de ikimasu' (Go by train) or hitori de sanposhimashita (I walked by myself). Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
You are right in that wa is used for the subject, and ga is for the direct object. (just remember the word you want for that sentence is 'suki', tsuki means 'moon')
I am by far the last one who could say something, but that phrase can be pretty much misleading. If I say "sakana ga tabeta" (魚が食べた), saying that ga marks the object is not correct. In that case the phrase means the fish ate. If I want it to be the object I will say "sakana o tabeta"(魚を食べた), where the fish is the object since it receives the action on himself, I ate the fish.
Same thing is valid for ha (は), you cannot say it it the subject. This particle can be found with a location, with an object and yes with the subject.
As per the word suki (好き), it is much easier for someone like me who is Italian or someone who speaks Spanish since in both languages it works like in Japanese. The item which is "liked" is actually the subject and the person who likes it becomes the termination of the action. So a phrase like "I like that car" in these language would be more properly translated in English as "the car is liked by be".

I know that for people in the beginnings like me and him it can be tough. But it is better to say what they are and just learning how to use them.
Ha (は) marks the topic and ga (が) marks the subject.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Thank you for your help! ^___^

So does this mean that 'wo' denotes the direct object (almost always definitely) and 'ga' is something like a subject indicator? And 'wa' kind of denotes the 'owner' of the sentence?

Let's say, "watashi wa hana ga suki desu." (Thank you for the corrections!) Watashi is the topic (the 'owner') and hana is the subject? And in "watashi wa steak (suteeki?) o tabemasu", 'watashi' is the topic and 'steak' is the direct object? Aaand... does 'neko ga suteeki o taberu' make sense? I'm going with my instincts here, so I put in a 'ga' instead of 'wa'. If it is wrong, then... I guess 'wa' is correct. But if it is correct, why IS it 'ga'? If it is 'watashi WA suteeki o tabemasu' then why isn't it 'neko WA suteeki o taberu'? @_@

Just to make sure that I'm not failing in English grammar, in English (I like flowers), 'I' would be the subject and 'flowers' would be the direct object?

Thank you once again! m(_ _)m;;;;
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Yes your reasoning works fine. Yes the phrases are correct. Yes the phrase changes if you put wa or ga. No, it is not that easy to explain it hee hee.
I guess for most of the Japanese language students the difference between wa and ga represents the first and biggest problem.
sakana wa taberu and sakana ga taberu both mean the fish eats, but in Japanese they have a certain difference. Sometimes to help us understand (us as beginners) they tell us to translate the wa with "as per..." or "for what concerns the...", but it is not always easy to see the difference.
The way I see it is that when you put the wa, like in my example, you care about the fish and the rest is additional information. While with a ga you main concern might have been something else. I don't know, maybe we were talking about the sea (as topic, my main concern) and the fish eats is just an additional information of the sea.
Hard to explain...only using it will help you understand it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2008, 02:17 AM

I thought ga was like a more emphasis I really do not know like..

watashi wa tabetai desu - I want to eat
and

watashi wa ringo ga tabetai desu - I want to eat 'apples' (more specifically)

watashi wa ringo wo tabetai desu - I want to eat apples (but can also eat somethign else as well)?

Thats what I thought at least.

Can someoen confirm/deny this? I'm really am lost lol.

Last edited by Heru : 10-08-2008 at 03:03 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2008, 04:59 AM

You're doing great!

Your sentence with Ni was correct. Ni describes where something is, but De describes where an action takes place, or how you're going to do it. I guess it's a "verb qualifier". Such as "Toshokan de benkyoushimasu" (I'll study at the library), or "Jitensha de iku" (I'll go by bike)

He can be like "towards" so "Mura he michi" (the path towards the village), but don't quote me on that one. I hear it pretty rarely.

Wa is used to introduce a topic and so forth, and Ga is used when the topic has already been mentioned. There's subtle differences between "Ramen wa, suki desu" (literally means 'as for ramen, I like it') and "Ramen ga suki", but Ga is very flexible and you'll pick it up over time.

Like you said, wo can introduce a verb, such as "Sakana wo tabetai", but in informal conversation wo is often dropped.

I noticed you didn't ask about No or Mo, so here's a crash course. Since you like grammar terms, No is a possessive. "Boku no hon" = My book. "Takeshi no inu" = Takeshi's dog. You can read it backwards, dog OF (no) Takeshi, or think of it as an apostrophe+s.

Watashi wa, terebi wo suki = I like TV

If you want to say "I also like TV", where would you put the Mo? Would you replace the Wa, or the Wo? You'll be graded on your answer

My advice to you is to listen and speak the language, don't analyze it with that subject/direct object crap. It was enough of a pain in high school English :P

Last edited by Keaton421 : 10-08-2008 at 05:39 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
10-08-2008, 07:11 AM

Even native Japanese people sometime discuss about "HA" and "GA" and will not agree each other every time.

As for me, I agree with Chryuop (Watashi HA Chryuop-san NI Sansei Shimasu).

WO(or O) definitely indicates direct object.
GA indicates subject as a principle and sometime indicate object as rare cases (used with like, love or else).
HA is indicater of main topic and should not used more than once in a sentense while GA can be used many times in sub-sentense to indicate subjects in sub-sentenses.

HA indicates sometime subject and object other time. And also HA implies some limitation. For example, if someone says "SAKANA HA KATTE KITA YO" (I bought fish) implies he/she forget buying something other than fish.

When GA is used to indicate the subject, the sentense is just a fact and corries no intention of the talker. It may sound strange for western people because English always tells the fact. (Sorry, I can not continue because it is too difficult to explain in detail)

For example, "Watachi GA Yari mashita" (I did) is just a fact and it is enough as an answer for the question "who did it?". If you want to tell your opnion, you should say "Watashi HA KOU Omoi masu" (I think that...).

As as extreme example which is well known by Japanese People, "Watashi HA UNAGI Da" which means "I will order Eel (following to other people's order)" instead of "I am an eel".

I hope these help you.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Radiokidさん すみませんが

You said that は shouldn't be used more than once in a phrase, but while I was studying different uses of は, my book said that I can use it in some cases...is it wrong? I will try to make an example.
私は日本語を話しません。でも、私はイタリア語は話し ます。
The book refers to it as a use of "opposition". Not A...but B...
But I might have misunderstood it.