JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Suffixes - 10-10-2008, 10:50 PM

What are all or most of the suffixes added to the end of verbs? Please specify what form the verb has to be in (Te form, dictionary form, stem form.)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
aiyumecool559 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2008, 04:40 AM

at the end of verb. Good  to backward study.I am gl ad.Well, so many times is

~te
~masu
~iru
~aru
~imasu
~mashita
~shita
~masen
~masendeshita

example:
Walk is 歩く。

歩く 「あるく」 aruku  - walk
歩きます 「歩きます」 arukimasu - w alk
歩かない 「あるかない」 - not walk
歩きません 「あるきません」 - not walk

歩いた 「あるいた」 aruita - walke d
歩きます 「あるきます」 arukimasu -w alked
歩かなかった 「あるかなかった」 - not wa lked
歩きませんでした 「あるきませんでした」 - no t walked

歩いて 「あるいて」 aruite - walk

So if you want say ”Let’s  walk or go” to friend, m aybe say 行きましょう! But ask  your friend, might say ”k udasai” like ”Please stan d”, 立ってください。 If say ”Let’ s meet tomorrow at 8” ”明日 八時に会おう。” 「あした はちじに あおう」 i s good too.  O.K.?  Thank  you so much!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2008, 04:52 AM

Yep, and just to clarify, the ~te form is a command for, and adding "kudasai" to the end makes it a request.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2008, 04:33 PM

It is kinda hard to ask for the most common suffix, coz they all have different meanings so you will find them in different occasions. For example they put in the list mashita, but the ta itself is a suffix (past tense particle).
Then you have to specify what you call suffixes. In english a suffix is just made of few letters which show a certain class a noun belongs to which don't have a real meaning taken alone (er, ish...and so on) and in very few cases can be a word (like, hood...).
Now what you might think a suffix it might not be. It might be a simple particle like ta, te rareru and so on... It might be another verb as in 私はオペラに行きつけている (watashi ha opera ni ikitshuketeiru=I often go to the opera) where the verb つける in this case goes after a verb and means being used to. It might be an adjective like in イタリアへ帰りたい (itaria e kaeritai tai=I want to go back to Italy) where tai gives the verb a value of desire, wanting. But if you want you can find things like nouns (as in こと koto) or preposition (for example に ni used with combinations with verbs come/go).

In my opinion the range is too big to say the most used. The only thing is study and with time you will encounter them all. Thanks to MMM I just found out another suffix which wasn't even in my dictionary...so patience Luke Skywalker, take one step at the time.

Just my 2 cents....