JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Junlove, even tho it seems in Japan they don't divide them, whatever text book you buy in English they create a division to help understand. They group them in 3 big families: KO-SO-A, this way you know which kind to use.
The differences are as follow:
KO is used for something you are referring to which is close to the person speaking.
SO is used for something you are referring to which is close to the person listening.
A is used for something you are referring to which is far from both speaker and listener.
KONO, SONO and ANO are demonstrative adjectives (or better this way they are called in latin origin languages) and they require a noun following them.
KORE, SORE and ARE are pronouns, thus they are used alone substituting a noun.
KOKO, SOKO and ASOKO are adverbs which show a place (here and there).

So going back to your example. Saying kono hana ha kirei desu it means the flower is close (if not in the hand) of the person speaking. So if I say kono hana ha kirei desu. sore ha kirei deha arimasen it means this flower (close to the speaker) is pretty, that one (close to the listener) isn't pretty.
KORE, SORE and ARE are also used for the English "it" when while speaking you are referring to something mentioned before.
Hope it is clear.

Last edited by chryuop : 10-17-2008 at 12:58 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
junlove323 (Offline)
Dudelostjf

10-17-2008, 01:07 PM

so you say what applies in the situtation? like can i say " kono onna ha desu."?? that is how you say" that woman is pretty "right?Or is it kore onna ha kerei desu.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
owakulukem (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junlove323 View Post
so you say what applies in the situtation? like can i say " kono onna ha desu."?? that is how you say" that woman is pretty "right?Or is it kore onna ha kerei desu.
Kono onna no hito wa kirei desu = This woman is pretty
Kore onna no hito wa kirei desu would be incorrect.
You are using Kono because a noun comes right after it.
If you are using kore you could say "kore wa kirei desu" = This is pretty, because I am not stating a noun. You can even say "kore wa kirei na hana desu" = This is a pretty flower. I am not using kono in this case because the noun hana does not directly follow "this".
So just remember that any time you use Kono, Sono or Ano, the noun needs to come directly after.

"Kono onna wa desu" doesn't make sense at all. You are missing your adjective. It's like saying "This woman is" but you are completing the sentence with desu.

Last edited by owakulukem : 10-18-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Edited acording to MMM's corrections.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owakulukem View Post
Kono onna wa kirei desu = This woman is pretty
Kore onna wa kirei desu would be incorrect.
You are using Kono because a noun comes right after it.
If you are using kore you could say "kore wa kirei desu" = This is pretty, because I am not stating a noun. You can even say "kore wa kirei na hana desu" = This is a pretty flower. I am not using kono in this case because the noun hana does not directly follow "this".
So just remember that any time you use Kore, Sore or Are, the noun needs to come directly after.

"Kono onna wa desu" doesn't make sense at all. You are missing your adjective. It's like saying "This woman is" but you are completing the sentence with desu.
You mean KONO, SONO, and ANO

And "woman" is "おんなのひと" not "おんな".
(#15 (permalink))
Old
owakulukem (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You mean KONO, SONO, and ANO

And "woman" is "おんなのひと" not "おんな".
My bad, you are correct thanks for catching my mistake.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
aiyumecool559 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-19-2008, 03:38 AM

Dificult question, but, good. これ if near. All are それ。So, all can have それ、   <-それは   それはー>  All それ。 あの if there, その、 maybe for English, the or that.