JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
knightlight (Offline)
New to JF

in between advance, begginers japanese! - 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Hello!

OK, I'm lost, i'm lost. I've been learning japanese on and off on my own for 6 or so years now i guess. i've never really leanred via officla lessons? just by hearing things over nad over and learning specifically the grammar.

my problem is, i think...i know so much japanese in such a varied way i'm not really sure where to go from here. i can't just learn on my own anymore, it's like i need to get given some exersises or lessons in order to learn certain things =)

here's what i know-

I know japanese only on a conversational level, i'm quite bored of all the overly polite things,

I know verbs quite well, and i can understand the structure of verbs,

I know quite a few adjectives and descrbing words,

what i DON'T know is, objects and such!! I mean i know a fair bit but not enough at all!! i kept focused so much on verbs for so many years, i don't auctllay know any acutal objects =O;;

I WANT to know more complex things aobut verbs!! like more stuff simmilar to 'nikui/yosui' 'nakeraba' ect. - and i need to know more conjunctives and things like this!

sorry to be a pain and be so detailed >_o but i feel like i'm stuck in between begginers and advance- like I'm not at a levle where i cna learn the same old phrases and stuff anymore, but i rlelaydon't know enough to listen and learn from an advanced japanese lesson.

does anyone have any ideas or any where i can go on the internet ? umm, could i learn from a penpal or something?

thankyou for your help!! =)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

10-17-2008, 06:00 PM

I have a great book [well, I think it's great] that comes with a CD and you can do some excersises in it to practice your Japanese. It covers most things you'd need to know if you were to visit Japan, all the basics, shopping, ordering a meal, asking the way, asking the time etc etc. It's called 'Japanese for Busy People,' you can get it pretty cheap on ebay and I think it's really good. It's available in romaji or kana versions.

I have actual tutored lessons from a Japanese teacher every week alongside this, so obviously I'm making more progress because of this but I think the book is very good on it's own too.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlight View Post
Hello!

OK, I'm lost, i'm lost. I've been learning japanese on and off on my own for 6 or so years now i guess. i've never really leanred via officla lessons? just by hearing things over nad over and learning specifically the grammar.

my problem is, i think...i know so much japanese in such a varied way i'm not really sure where to go from here. i can't just learn on my own anymore, it's like i need to get given some exersises or lessons in order to learn certain things =)

here's what i know-

I know japanese only on a conversational level, i'm quite bored of all the overly polite things,

I know verbs quite well, and i can understand the structure of verbs,

I know quite a few adjectives and descrbing words,

what i DON'T know is, objects and such!! I mean i know a fair bit but not enough at all!! i kept focused so much on verbs for so many years, i don't auctllay know any acutal objects =O;;

I WANT to know more complex things aobut verbs!! like more stuff simmilar to 'nikui/yosui' 'nakeraba' ect. - and i need to know more conjunctives and things like this!

sorry to be a pain and be so detailed >_o but i feel like i'm stuck in between begginers and advance- like I'm not at a levle where i cna learn the same old phrases and stuff anymore, but i rlelaydon't know enough to listen and learn from an advanced japanese lesson.

does anyone have any ideas or any where i can go on the internet ? umm, could i learn from a penpal or something?

thankyou for your help!! =)
so you know lots of verbs but not many nouns, adverbs, adjectives etc......?

「人は生れながら自由で 、しかもいたるところで鎖に縛られている」
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Yea James I was wondering the same.
First thing I wondered was...how do you know so many verbs without knowing anything else? Many verbs translate with the same word in English and you need at least one example to understand their function...and in examples you can't have only verbs!

Unless he means he only knows how to conjugate the verbs...and that means getting to the 4 main forms of the verbs and then adding the suffixes. Well if so I am at his level after 2-3 months
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KitsuneFr (Offline)
Mori kara kimashita...

Location: Versailles, France (not Hellmouth, Sunnydale, lol!)
Send a message via MSN to KitsuneFr Send a message via Yahoo to KitsuneFr
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Here it is a synthetic sheet I did about the verbs, if it could help (sorry, I just translated it from my french former edition, so it could be a bit misunderstandable ^^).
Attached Files
File Type: doc CONJUGAISON JAPONAISE UK.doc (76.0 KB, 12 views)

Qu'est ce qui pourrait être plus beau que les fleurs de cerisier?
さくらのはなが だいすきですよ!
(Sakura no hana ga daisuki desu yo!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

10-18-2008, 06:38 AM

to learn formal Japanese just read novel or newspaper
informal, watch anime or read manga
if you could master reading articles and catching every words from anime, then you are quite good

about more complex verb, you mean 吹き出す、落ち込む this kind of two verbs combined phrase?

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD

Last edited by DragonShade : 10-18-2008 at 06:41 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
knightlight (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Yea James I was wondering the same.
First thing I wondered was...how do you know so many verbs without knowing anything else? Many verbs translate with the same word in English and you need at least one example to understand their function...and in examples you can't have only verbs!

Unless he means he only knows how to conjugate the verbs...and that means getting to the 4 main forms of the verbs and then adding the suffixes. Well if so I am at his level after 2-3 months
mmm...well as i said, i do know nouns and such, but i just seem to know m ore verbs than nouns, so really all i'd like is a list of nouns to learn or something. i guess for nouns really i shall just listen to anime and music and learn from there =) and noo! i don't know conjunctions very well either, that is the problem..umm..i suppose i know the basic form of verbs but nothing that can enhance them, like add-ons ?
aw..well, it's hard to explain!(I'm not very good at that); also i am a girl, not a guy XD;

Kitsune Fr-, thank you!! this list is just what i needed to learn addon's for verbs thank you very much!

and thanks everyone for your help and such ^^ I will also chekc out this book, it sounds useful わたし に たすけてのために, ありがとうございます!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KitsuneFr (Offline)
Mori kara kimashita...

Location: Versailles, France (not Hellmouth, Sunnydale, lol!)
Send a message via MSN to KitsuneFr Send a message via Yahoo to KitsuneFr
10-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Glad I could have helped you (even if my chart is not full complete) !!!

There's another thing I did to help me learning japanese. You should know that, like in chinese, when you count things, you'll need a specific word behind the number in function of the object's kind (called specific numeral from my french japanese learning handbook. Exemple:

I can't say: 'ni neko ga arimasu'
But I should say: 'neko ga ni hiki arimasu' (there are two cats, where 'hiki' is the specific numeral to count little animals).

The difficulty is that there are many classes of objects, then you have phonetic irregularities too (ippiki instead of 'ichi hiki', sanbiki instead of 'san hiki' if we follow our example). So I made a chart with the most common ones, written in hiragana (but you have the specific numeral kanji in headlist's column) to help learning them with seeing clearly the phonetic irregularities. There's something who could help you now or in future learning. I send it now because it was the other principal chart I did, except kanas lists and so...

I hope it would help you (and others too!)

Bon courage!

Kitsune
Attached Files
File Type: doc table des spéc. num UK.doc (51.5 KB, 5 views)

Qu'est ce qui pourrait être plus beau que les fleurs de cerisier?
さくらのはなが だいすきですよ!
(Sakura no hana ga daisuki desu yo!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2008, 05:57 PM

I am sorry for calling you a "he"...couldn't know...