LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Debezo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Yup, very confusing...above all when I know other 3 languages and they all mix up. You see in the Latin languages I know there is a huge difference between the o and de: one would indicate the capability of speaking a language and the other the actual action of speaking it. Using the Japanese with the Latin languages the difference would be like this (of course I speak only about the verb hanasu, not valid for any verb):
日本語を話す。  I have the capability of speaking Japanese.
日本語を話している。 I am speaking Japanese now.
日本語で話す。 I am speaking Japanese now.
Of course then you can use the potential form.
In fact my Japanese-Italian dictionary gives me the example イタリア語を上手に話す
as having the capability of speaking well the Italian language and not speaking at the moment Italian in a good way.
Is this the same thing that お酒を飲みますか can mean 'Do you drink alcohol now?' or 'Do you have a habit(capability) of drinking alcohol?'?
You can say "日本語を話す" as "I speak Japanese from now.", not only indicate the capability.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
turbobee (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies to my question, I ended up using the first suggestion I got, although now I know how to ask more politely. I was feeling kind of bad because I felt like I commanded my teacher to talk with me everyday instead of asking him. So I threw in おねがいします Hopefully I did it right, my teacher responded and didn't say anything about it so I guess it was ok. Anyway I have a new question but I'll open a new thread so I don't get things all mixed up in here. Thanks again.

TurboBee