LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

11-04-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Good for you~! It takes time, but you will get it all down. Give yourself a more time for katakana because a lot of the characters look similar.
Thanks ~ Yeah, they really do! I have a really good sheet that my teacher gave me though, and it has some really good ways to remember them. I think I'll scan it in because it'll help a lot of people learning I'm sure.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I agree. I wrote my first sentence in Hiragana the other day, was so pleased with myself! Now onto Katakana~ Not bad for few weeks in my opinion ~
Told ya didnt i? once you convert to kana it all just fits together!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
they learn about 200 new kanji a year, i learned the other day

pretty interesting
Kanji taught in Japanese school from 1st to 6th grade
I am not sure how reliable it is this, but actually this is also the order I use to study my kanji and when I say study I mean learn all their readings and meanings. Well the meanings for which they are mostly known since many of them have too many to study like that, you need to meet them in phrases.

So far I am at 100 kanji studied, most of the first grade and some from the second and third (trying to get most of the verbs first). That doesn't mean I know only those 100, but I know those 100 in all readings and meanings.
I tell you that it is a hard job and I admire a kid in Japan who learns 200ish kanji a year (it took me like 3 months to learn those).
However you have to consider two things when you mention how much a Japanese kid learn in one scholar year: first, his brain is empty and it is less harder to fill it with new kanji. He doesn't have another language that takes up part of his brain and thus he doesn't have to try to translate every single bit of information he receives. Second, a Japanese kid lives in a Japanese full immersion situation in which he already has the basic of Japanese, thus he already knows the word whose kanji is about to learn and how to use those words.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
11-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Kanji taught in Japanese school from 1st to 6th grade
I am not sure how reliable it is this, but actually this is also the order I use to study my kanji and when I say study I mean learn all their readings and meanings. Well the meanings for which they are mostly known since many of them have too many to study like that, you need to meet them in phrases.

So far I am at 100 kanji studied, most of the first grade and some from the second and third (trying to get most of the verbs first). That doesn't mean I know only those 100, but I know those 100 in all readings and meanings.
I tell you that it is a hard job and I admire a kid in Japan who learns 200ish kanji a year (it took me like 3 months to learn those).
However you have to consider two things when you mention how much a Japanese kid learn in one scholar year: first, his brain is empty and it is less harder to fill it with new kanji. He doesn't have another language that takes up part of his brain and thus he doesn't have to try to translate every single bit of information he receives. Second, a Japanese kid lives in a Japanese full immersion situation in which he already has the basic of Japanese, thus he already knows the word whose kanji is about to learn and how to use those words.
yep exactly

you're at a "disadvantage" from the beginning. so nothing will help you more than hardwork and dedication

there's a guy who has a proven theory (worked on himself) about learning japanese thru immersion ( All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency. ) it's very interesting, but also very dedicated. Of course he was in Japan when he did this too. If anything it's an interesting read. XD

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#15 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That's how children in Japan learn, and there's no logical reason I can think of to do it any other way.
Very true, though
I was agreeing in the first place.

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-05-2008, 02:12 AM

Kanji and Hiragana are most commonly used.
Katakana is used for onomonapeic words like bow-wow or cock-a-doodle-doo. It's also used for foreign and tailored words, such as aisukurimu (ice cream), and names; japanese or not. Although Kanji is also used for Japanese names...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
marisoru (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2008, 04:24 PM

what is your problem

(#18 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
11-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I had to teach myself.
It was by luck that I chose to start with hiragana(I just thought it looked cool and old fashioned), and I just rewrote it again and again, and eventually I memorized it. I had decided to just screw Kanji, I mean, there's furigana(that's what it's called, right? The stuff above Kanji) right? Wrong! But I procrastinated, and learned katakana. I like it a lot, it looks so...high-tech! And people don't believe that I can write in Japanese until I use A) Kanji or B) Katakana. So sad hiragana, my absolute favorite, isn't even recognized by ignorant American children. Anyhoo, now I'm currently learning kanji, and I regret not starting from the get-go. I love the way Kanji looks in a sentence.

Speaking of which, I have a fun anecdote to share!
Once upon a time, I doodled on my chemistry desk. It's black and in the black, so you can only see my pencil writing from that desk, maybe the next one over. And I wrote "baka" in hiragana, erased it, rewrote it in katakana, and doodled some more, and erased all but "baka" (I did the same thing at our rival HS by writing it on the board mwahaha!). A few days later, I was taking a test in chemistry..and wrote "baka na" on the desk. After I finished the test though, I noticed more pencil writing, and it said in Kanji "Nippon jin" then in hiragana "su ka?" Idk what happened to the "de", maybe it doesn't matter, I haven't studied enough. And so I SCREAMMED!!!!!!! in my head, and wrote back "Iie, demo nihongo o naraimasu." and I'm eagerly waiting a response! Yeah...it made ME happy!

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell
(#19 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-15-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
there's a guy who has a proven theory (worked on himself) about learning japanese thru immersion ( All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency. ) it's very interesting, but also very dedicated. Of course he was in Japan when he did this too. If anything it's an interesting read. XD
Actually, the AJATT guy claims to have become fluent in Japanese before ever visiting Japan. That's the whole point of his method; immersion is the only way you'll ever really learn a language, and you can bring the immersion to yourself anytime, anywhere.

He also has some interesting methods for learning vocabulary and grammar that are worth looking at, especially since they apply to any language.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
aiyumecool559 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-15-2008, 09:49 PM

First, school teach hiragana. And Katakana. First year, book write many, many hiragana. Book middle teach simple kanji if story, like, 田、火、日、山、大。 And number. 一、二、三、四、五、六、七、八、九、十。