JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LinnyLo (Offline)
JF Regular

Need help writing a letter to my host family in Japanese. - 12-20-2008, 03:29 AM

Konbanwa,

I am a high school student, and I am going to be an exchange student this summer in Japan. Part of the application process is to write my future host family a letter (in Japanese). Problem is, I took Japanese two years ago for only a year at my school before my sensei moved. I have forgotten a lot, so I need some help.

This is what I have so far: (PS- It's all in romaji because my computer is a Gateway and so it rejects all things foreign. I can't type or read East Asian characters on it... I'm planning to send this to my host family written in actual Japanese characters though. But still, since I can't read it, if you help can you write in romaji and not characters so I can read it? Thanks... And sorry if my romaji sucks, I'm too use to writing in characters.)

Hosto fuamuri- he,
Konnichiwa. Hajimemashite. Watashi wa (my name) desu. Douzoyoroshiku. Watashi wa juu nana sai desu. Amerika karakimashita. Watashi no uchi wa (my state) desu. Watashi no kichi wa chiisai desu [My city is small?]. Doko wa uchi desu ka. Koukou san nen sei desu [I am a high school junior?]. Do kushyo to ryokuu ga suki desu [I like reading and travelling?].

Watashi wa roku jin kazoku desu. Okaasan to otousan to oneesan to otouto to watashi desu. Oneesan wa juu hachi sai desu. Otouto wa juu yon sai desu. Shimaiga imasen [I have no sisters?]. Nan jin kazoku desu ka. Otouto to watashi hokke- ga suki desu [my little brother and I like hockey?]. Nani supo-tsu ga suki desu ka [what sports do you like?]. Petto ga imasu ka. Petto ga imasen.

----That's all I have so far. Things in [] are things I'm trying to say but I'm not sure about what I wrote.

Things I still need to add (but don't quite know how to say in Japanese):
-Culture questions. Any ideas about this one? Stuff like; "What is your city like?" "What holidays do you celebrate?" "What does your family like to do?"...I'm not really sure what to ask under that catagory...
-Favorite school subjects. "My favorite subjects are my language classes." "I also like art classes."
-Future plans. "I would like to go to college and study languages."
-I must also thank them in advance for letting me stay there. Other than Arigatou gozaimasu, I don't know what to stay. "Thank you very much for hosting me." ...? Does that even make sense in English?
-Also, if anything I wrote is culturally inappropriate, feel free to criticize.

I would greatly appreciate any help at all. Even just ideas in English of what I can say. Really, thank you!

^^Linny

Last edited by LinnyLo : 12-21-2008 at 06:39 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-20-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnyLo View Post

Hosto fuamuri- he,
Konnichiwa. Hajimemashite. Watashi wa (my name) desu. Douzoyoroshiku. Watashi wa juu nana sai desu. Amerika karakimashita. Watashi no uchi wa (my state) desu. Watashi no kichi wa chiisai desu [My city is small?]. Doko wa uchi desu ka. Koukou san nen sei desu [I am a high school junior?]. Do kushyo to ryokuu ga suki desu [I like reading and travelling?].

Watashi wa roku jin kazoku desu. Okaasan to otousan to oneesan to otouto to watashi desu. Oneesan wa juu hachi sai desu. Otouto wa juu yon sai desu. Shimaiga imasen [I have no sisters?]. Nan jin kazoku desu ka. Otouto to watashi hokke- ga suki desu [my little brother and I like hockey?]. Nani supo-tsu ga suki desu ka [what sports do you like?]. Petto ga imasu ka. Petto ga imasen.
fuamuri > fuamiri-
Too many "watashi". I suggest that you drop the ones I highlighted.
kichi > machi
Doko wa uchi desu ka > Sochira no ouchi wa dochira desuka
Koukou san nen sei desu. <-- To the Japanese, this means you're in your final year of HS. HS is three years in Japan.
Do kushyo = Dokushyo
ryokuu > ryokou
jin > nin
okaasan > haha (You're too old to use 'okaasan', 'otoosan', etc. when you speak to others about them.)
otoosan > chichi
oneesan > ane
Shimai ga imasen. ---> ??? You just said you had an older sister above! oneesan = older sis.
Nan jin > Nan nin
Otouto to watashi > Otouto to watashi ha
Nani supo-tsu > Donna supo-tsu
ga > ha
Petto ga imasen. > Uchi wa petto ga imasen
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LinnyLo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Wow, thank you for all of your help! I have two questions though, instead of saying what year of high school I'm in, can I just say "Koukou nen sei desu."? Also, I don't have any sisters, doesn't oneesan mean older brother, and oniisan mean older sister? Or is it the other way around? Thank you so much for your help!

^^Linny
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnyLo View Post
Wow, thank you for all of your help! I have two questions though, instead of saying what year of high school I'm in, can I just say "Koukou nen sei desu."? Also, I don't have any sisters, doesn't oneesan mean older brother, and oniisan mean older sister? Or is it the other way around? Thank you so much for your help!
Hi LinnyLo.

You cannot just say "Koukou nen sei desu." That makes no sense. You can say "Koukousei desu = I'm a HS student." You could also say "Koukou 2 nen sei desu." because that is the Japanese equivalent of a HS junior in the U.S. In Japan, you go to junior high for three years, so that's where the difference comes from.

Oneesan means older sister. Older brother is oniisan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
LinnyLo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

^^Linny
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can say 兄弟がありません。 (kyoudai ga arimasen - I don't have any brothers or sisters)

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can say 兄弟がありません。 (kyoudai ga arimasen - I don't have any brothers or sisters)
いません would be better.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
いません would be better.
Ah, yeah, wouldn't it... don't let me answer questions at 2 am

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
LinnyLo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
I do have brothers, just no sisters. But thank you anyways!

^^Linny